Free RPG Day - good idea, or bad?

Friadoc

Explorer
Personally, I think Free RPG day is a cool idea, just like Free Comic book day is a cool idea, since it exposes people to companies they might not always buy from and promotes giving said company a chance.

Now this is coming from someone who averages ~ $1,000.00 USD in gaming and gaming related purchases a year (that's not counting trading for product, complimentary product, or product I've earned for demoing).

I always try to snag some free stuff from Free RPG day, although I have my prioritized list of preferred choices, I'll still snag something and, odds are if it's good, it'll lead me to buying from someone I've not bought from before.

Plus, it'll get me out and meeting people at stores whom I've not met before. I've gamed in Boise for ~10 years, but I've been reclusive enough in my gamer meets that I only know a small percentage of gamers here.

It's fun, you get some free swag, and it's good for the hobby and the FLGS (who could use the help).

Heck, it's in their (FLGS) best interests to participate in it, since if no one else does then they get all the people who are mad that no one is doing it.

Boise has, three participating stores, only one of which I've been too (I've been to where All About Games is, but not since they took over Dark Horse Games' spot, and I've been to Magic Dragon, but under different owners and locations). Odds are, I'll hit all three, just because I can and because it'll motivate me to getting my demo hat back on.

Anyhow, although I think you've got some valid points, I think they're more "something that needs to be worked on more" than a reason to get rid of the day.

charlesatan

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Perhaps you should be annoyed at the Orlando stores rather than Free RPG Day. It's not like the cost was particularly high ($30 per store).

Not necessarily their fault, especially if Free RPG Day branches out to other areas. Free RPG Day might be free for consumers but that's not necessarily the case for retailers. They still have to pay for shipping for one thing. I knew a comic retailer who was participating in Free Comic Book Day and well, it's costing them some money. Heck, even the distributor sent them free magazines but it's still costing them money because of the shipping problem. At the end of the day, the retailer is probably asking if they could benefit from Free RPG Day (in the sense that it offsets their cash investment). Most likely it's well worth it but there'll be instances when it's not.

jhilahd

Explorer
I look forward to it.
If it takes off as well as free comic book day then we should be happy. It'll introduce new players and gm's to the world of gaming. Or even bring back old ones to the fold. :D

My only concern is shops who carry the free stuff, hording them. I speak of experience with a LFGS in the Dallas area, who during free comic book day allowed only one item out of 30 stacks of books to be had per customer. While smaller shops like Keith's Comics(notice how I praise and name the ones I favor) had a maximum of three. Which is better than just one, especially when you have nearly a full stock of books and its 2pm with only four hours left in the event.

Sorry for the rant, but my fear is more selfish in nature. I want people who game to be able to pick up a Goodman game AND something else that maybe they haven't tried before. But I'd love to see that option.

Sorry for the rant.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Glyfair said:
Perhaps you should be annoyed at the Orlando stores rather than Free RPG Day. It's not like the cost was particularly high ($30 per store).

Both of the gaming stores in my area are participating, but I let them know about it almost as soon as it was announced

I alerted both major stores to the event. Neither appear on the list. And both do Free Comic Day. Obviously RPD day was not that ipmortant.

(it helps that I am friends with owners of both). In fact, one of them was contacted by the organizers personally to participate.

That anwers many questions. :\

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
MrFilthyIke said:
any of them carry OOP stuff? orlando stores don't, now i'm looking around the whole area. :)

One of them has a little bit (and usually at a discount). If there's something particular your're looking for, PM or e-mail me and I'll check for you next time I'm there.

Glyfair

Explorer
charlesatan said:
Free RPG Day might be free for consumers but that's not necessarily the case for retailers. They still have to pay for shipping for one thing..

The $30 I quoted includes S&H (probably why they didn't want to do international the first year). I know because I paid for one of my stores (he doesn't do PayPal).

My only concern is shops who carry the free stuff, hording them. I speak of experience with a LFGS in the Dallas area, who during free comic book day allowed only one item out of 30 stacks of books to be had per customer. While smaller shops like Keith's Comics(notice how I praise and name the ones I favor) had a maximum of three. Which is better than just one, especially when you have nearly a full stock of books and its 2pm with only four hours left in the event.

My main comic book store only allows one comic each, but runs out of most comics by the end of the day. They make a very big deal of it (this year I know they had at least comic professionals signings, etc.)

Remove ads