Eyes Of The Lich Queen

drothgery

First Post
"I would think that would raise the same concerns Brother Donovan and Rogan brought up when I suggested creating a distraction of some sort." Khalia said. "If we can avoid them going in and getting out, it's all to the good, but given the layout they described it seems that would be very difficult."

Unkabear

First Post
Aerndel spoke softly "Rogan could perhaps sneak in unobserved alone, but as for the rest of our party we would need a great miracle to do the same." Aerndel again as a human says as he lightly fingers a tune "perhaps a distraction must be in order. Something through the main path and have the rest of us come in from the back or something similar." The tune becomes haunting "But that still does not address who we may find inside the Temple once we get there." Aerndel letting the thought hang in the air. Nothing has been said that a tribe was not making residence inside the temple itself.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Through conversation about tactics, the group comes to the following conclusions...

1) There are probably three levels of enemies to their goals. The patrols on the outskirts that are guarding the trails, the ones at the huts outside the temple, and whomever or whatever is inside the temple proper.

2) Rogan and Aern saw one patrol on the main trail heading south, but Krustach did mention there were a few trails to the temple each with groups patrolling them. Whether these other trails are on the far side of the temple which they didn't see, or if the main trail heading south eventually splits into seperate fingers, that is unknown right now.

2) The party can either deal with each level in succession, or try and sneak past one or more levels to just get to where they are going. The advantage of going in succession is that they clear each area first and thus won't have to potentially deal with as many enemies should things at the temple go badly and an alarm is sounded. The advantage of sneak up is that if no alarm or alert does get sounded, they avoid many more potential combats.

3) Based on the distances Rogan and Aern walked from when they saw the patrol to when they came upon the huts and the temple, they figure that if the party attacked the patrols first, any potential help if an alarm was sounded would be at least a minute or two away (if not more). So if combat went well they might be able to take out the patrols in their entirety before any reinforcements from the huts or the temple showed up.

4) The huts and temple are so close to each other that any attack on either will potentially be heard by the other unless speed and care is taken to minimize noise. And if the patrols aren't first taken out, those reinforcements would only be a minute or two away.

Mista Collins

First Post
"I hate the idea of leaving enemies at our backs as we infiltrate the temple. As Jango mentioned, they have a means of raising an alarm." Rogan says with a look of concern on his face. "What happens if we are in that temple when the alarm is raised and those two camps come to their aide? Not only will we have to worry about what is in that temple, but we will have to worry about enemies coming at our backs."

"As of now, they have no idea we are here. Any type of distraction I can create will only alert them to some sort of danger or possible threat in the area. They might not go on full alert, but they very well might clear the guards from those camps and increase the difficulty of the rest of you sneaking to the temple. And a concern of the groups ability to sneak has been raised."

Surprised at how winded he is becoming, Rogan seems to be taking on qualities of his father during his dealings with the noble families. But he still continues. "Since they don't know we are here, we could all just approach the temple and take care of any threats that stand in our way. The largest group of guards I saw was six. And by the number of huts present I doubt we will encounter a larger group, unless the alarm is raised. Which it has been mentioned that Donovan can silence any attempt of using those whistles on rope to raise alarm."

"My suggestion; we approach the temple and dispose of any guards quickly. Then make our way to each set of huts to dispose of those guards. If we can do this efficiently, we will not have to worry about guarding our backs as much."

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

Mista Collins said:
["My suggestion; we approach the temple and dispose of any guards quickly. Then make our way to each set of huts to dispose of those guards. If we can do this efficiently, we will not have to worry about guarding our backs as much."

Donovan nods. "I'm not as bloodthirsty as I was before the Flame called to me, but I think this is our best bet. Especially without knowing what might be in the temple itself, it seems foolhardy to leave so many reinforcements available. I don't suppose you noticed if all the Poison Dusks carry whistles, or if there's one special keeper of the alarm?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ari sits on a rock, sharpening his longsword, thinking as the others talk. He nods at the various suggestions, liking what he hears. But he had fought the lizards before and had some ideas.

"I think we should go at night. Best time to avoid their patrols as they see no better in the dark than I. It puts us at a disadvantage, but theirs would be the worse. If our divine patron's silence lasts long enough, I'd keep it up on our entire march---keeps us stealthy and nixes the whistles of any scouts we may find. Prolly good to have at least one person out a little bit ahead who can hear, however, with some agreed upon signal---we would be deaf in there."

The hexer draws the map as they know it in the dirt. "If it is late enough night, then we can assume we'll catch many of them asleep. Then, quick fire here, here, and here"---he motions to the various huts---"will catch any that are out and eliminate them from the problem. In the confusion---and if any have suggestions to add more chaos to it---we slip into the Temple proper. It may roil the ant's nest, but should burn a few number while we're at it."

The hexer leans back, waiting for their views.

Autumn

First Post
"Well, if you think going in at night will let us catch em with their pants down..." Jina shrugs, acquiescing.

"Or... Lizards don't wear pants. Ummm. Loin cloths. Whatever." She grins.

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
If our divine patron's silence lasts long enough, I'd keep it up on our entire march---keeps us stealthy and nixes the whistles of any scouts we may find.

"I can maintain the effect for five minutes each time I invoke the prayer. If need be I can prepare it more than once, but it would prevent any of us from using other spells or prayers, or any other abilities that rely on being heard. If something from Khyber emerges, for example, I could not advise you on its weaknesses." Khalia said. And she wasn't much of a fighter without her spells and her knowledge of the dark creatures that sometimes visit Eberron, but there was no way under the Flame she was going to mention that.

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

drothgery said:
"I can maintain the effect for five minutes each time I invoke the prayer. If need be I can prepare it more than once, but it would prevent any of us from using other spells or prayers, or any other abilities that rely on being heard. If something from Khyber emerges, for example, I could not advise you on its weaknesses."

Donovan nods. "I can't call on the Flame's favor for any longer in that regard," he says, "and the effect itself only covers a limited area. I can, however, evoke it from quite a long distance provided I have a line to my target. Since I myself am less than quiet, we could position our stealtier members close to the patrol before I call down the veil of silence from afar, then charge in. We need to keep the lizards penned in, anyway, if they're to be trapped in quiet."

[sblock=OOC]Silence only has a 20' radius, but at 5th level Donovan can cast it from 600 feet away, which I would think is far enough away that the lizardfolk aren't likely to have heard him coming (though I could certainly be wrong on that)[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
"Five minutes at a time will not be enough to allow a stealthy approach, but it is far than enough to neutralize a group before they warn the others. Acting at night might be a good idea.

The fire Ari suggest will most likely be the best way to make sure they are aware of the presence of intruders, but whatever we do, I suspect they will find it sooner or later. What is important, it is we don't find ourselves against them all, as we are pretty limited to our way to take care of large group.

I would favor to take the scouts first. We could do that at night, preparing ambush. If that is done well, we will be able to take care of one or two group easily. After that, we will be easily able to take care of the huts, even more if we can do it by surprise, as most will be sleeping."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases