Eyes Of The Lich Queen

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

stonegod said:
"Two scouts, stealthy but disguised, will have the advantage of better numbers. One would need to speak their language. We must risk it or we go in blind."

Donovan nods. "I have a means, too, to keep a general eye on our scout, a favor that would let me tell if one of you is injured or in some other way disabled, so we could stay further back, but hopefully still come charging in if need be."

[sblock=OOC]Status spell? Not sure how far we want to let the scouts get ahead of us, but it'll last several hours, let us know if / when they stop or change direction, and register the first wound they take so we could charge in.

FYI, I haven't used a lot of these spells in a game before, so folks with more experience in them are welcome to offer up how useful you think they might be. :)[/sblock]

Unkabear

First Post
Aerndel speaks from his spot that he had been sitting listening to the others. Though he would not prefer to go in, it seemed that it would be for the best if he did. At least he could get his information first hand then. "The Silver Flame smiles upon us as I can use magic to transform into the visage of a Lizardfolk. Two can go in with only one potion. And perhaps I may notice something that may slip Rogans eye. And with Brother Donovan we shall not be alone in the midst of our potential enemy as you will be able to stay informed of our progress. Though I must confess that I do not speak the language."

Aerndel then began to pluck gently at the strings of the Lute to create a haunting melody that would hardly drift beyond the gathering let alone down the hill.

Velmont

First Post
"In that case, Rogan and Aern could scout, with Donovan watching over them. After that, we could head to the temple with the more secure way we have found." suggest Jango.

jkason

First Post

Velmont said:
"In that case, Rogan and Aern could scout, with Donovan watching over them. After that, we could head to the temple with the more secure way we have found." suggest Jango.

Donovan nods. "I suppose Aern could always feign and injury or illness that would keep him from speaking? Then again, your unique gifts might let you take on a second appearance if your first 'mute' form is discovered."

The priest looks to the sky a moment, then says, "I think this is the most sensible plan. The favor I'm thinking of will tell me which direction you're going, but allows no real message. Probably best, then, if we assume any substantial move your part back in our direction--whether you've taken a hit or not--means you're being persued and we should make haste to meet you and back you up? I'd hate to wait for any persuers to actually catch you and engage before we moved in, after all."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With a full decision now made... Rogan and Aerndel both scouting ahead disguised as lizardfolk with Brother Donovan keeping tabs on them using a Status spell... the party beds down for the night.

The night passes without incident, and the next morning the group arises to study, pray, and pack up. Brother Donovan says a prayer over Rogan and Aerndel, and the cleric instantly feels how the two are doing and how close they are. They then nod in goodbye and head up and over the rocks, making their way down the northern face of the hill. The group gives them about an hour headstart and then begins following slowly behind them.

As they get further in and the two of them begin to notice minute changes in the area... places where others have tread, broken branches, chopped limbs and the like... the rogue and the bard make their two transformations. Rogan downs the bitter potion and thinks of the scout lizardfolk he ran into, named Bruscq. Instantly, the illusionary image of Bruscq is overlaid on him. Aerndel's transformation is much more natural, and Rogan is surprised at how fluid the change is. Soon, a much more detailed Krustach is standing next to him, and the elder lizardfolk smiles in a bit of embarassment at how good the transformation is. Thus, with "Brusque" ready to speak draconic, and "Krustach" ready to speak common, the two continue forward.

From their direction, they easily traverse northward through the trees... and eventually approach what is obviously a trail (even at the great distance they remain away.) They follow the trail northward, remaining a good couple hundred feet within the treeline, and after about fifteen minutes the two eventually spot a squad of six poison dusk lizardfolk walking in plain view down the path towards the south. The two immediately drop down and do their best to hide, and watch as the six pass by without seemingly noticing them. Aerndel begins to stand up once he thinks they are out of sight, but Rogan immediately yanks him back down for his own protection. (Action Point spent by Aerndel)

(Lizardfolk Scouts Spot checks: [11] + 2 = 13)
(Lizardfolk Lieutenant Spot check: [7] + 8 = 15)
(Rogan Hide check: [7] + 10 = 17)
(Aern Hide check: [12] + 1 + 4AP = 17)

After another thirty second, Rogan finally nods for them to rise, which both do. They continue north a little while longer, and soon the large view of the temple breaks through the trees. It is very big and made of stone, probably about twenty to thirty feet high in place, probably a couple hundred feet long. The trees are cleared from around it, but as they approach it from the southeast, they see a series of four thatched huts standing in front of it in a smaller clearing. By these huts they both see at least a few more poison dusks standing casual guard. Finally... as the two observe the area, they make out what they suspect might be a few more huts across the trail further to the west. It is hard to see them from here.

Rogan and Aern quickly turn around and start heading back they way they came in hopes of returning to the party to relay what they've found.

templeouterbd6.png

Last edited:

jkason

First Post

DEFCON 1 said:
Rogan and Aern quickly turn around and start heading back they way they came in hopes of returning to the party to relay what they've found.

As the party slowly moves forward, Donovan does his best to keep the group apprised of their position.

"So far, so good. They've paused a moment, but it was brief...hold. They seem to be waiting on something....Whatever it was must not have been to severe; they're moving forward again, but we should probably take care when we get nearer that spot..."

DEFCON 1 said:

Donovan frowns, looking to the others. "They're heading back this way. It doesn't seem to be a run, but--" here he hefts his crossbow and checks the string, "--never hurts to be ready."

[sblock=Spells Prepared]orisons (5, DC 13): Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Light
1st level(4+1, DC 14): Shield of Faith, Bless, Obscuring Mist, Command, Sanctuary(D)
2nd level (3+1, DC 15): Status, Silence, Bull's Strength, Magic Circle against Evil(D)
3rd level (2+1, DC 16): Dispel Magic, Wind Wall, Protection from Energy(D)[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
Once back to the group, Rogan relays the information they came across and there encounter with the squad of poison dusk lizardfolk.

"It seems there are two camps of lizardfolk near the temple. One set of huts to the east were smaller, likely for the poison dusk lizardfolk. The other set, I am not entirely sure, but would assume that is where the blackscales are. So now we know what stands between us and the temple. As for exactly what is inside the temple, we will have to find out together."

Autumn

First Post
Jina is fidgety while they are waiting for the scouts, twirling a strand of hair around her fingers and glancing frequently over to Donovan for clues to their progress. She leaps up into a fighting stance as he readies his crossbow, drawing her swords and seeming ready to rush off into the jungle - only to sink back down again with a sigh when it becomes evident that nobody's going anywhere.

It comes as quite a relief to her, and possibly to those who have to suffer her company, when Aern and Rogan come back into view. She listens with wide-eyed attentiveness to the report and then nods vigorously in support of her brother's idea.

"It'd be nice," she pipes up. "Can't think of many better ways to get ourselves killed than announcing our arrival by storming through the scouts' camps."

Remove ads