Constables of the 14th Ward

Helfdan

First Post
[sblock=OOC] I anin't mad, after all, its his problem if he's missing this game :) I put my opinion in the OOC thread. [/sblock]

Alarion of Tovarre

"Face a true knight, fiend!"

Alarion shouts his challenge, and charges at the giant, sword held high, in hopes of drawing its attention from the battered former spy.

[sblock=Round 6]

Swift action to use Fighting Challenge (use #3/4 for the day)
Shield block still assigned to the giant (+1 ac)
Charge with power attack -2
26 to hit, 15 damage
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Round 6

Initiative Order:
Wally 17
Jonas and Bruno 14
Thea 11
Darius 11
Raul 8
Stone Giant 8
Moru 7
Centipede 7
Rahvin 5
Alarion 5
Ogres 5
Soulfetter 4

Wally attacks (1d20+9=12, 1d20+9=14) again, but with no hits.

Jonas sends an errant arrow towards the giant before sighing and pulling his wand back out.

Thea watched her fellow constables struggle with the giant- that thing was _tough_! It didn't look like they would be able to bring the creature down quickly or easily, so she decided to try and give a bit of help. She spoke a few quick arcane phrases, hoping to afflict the giant's mind with crippling terror...

Darius's cynical expectations are quickly met as the giant keeps swinging away. Feeling invigorated by a healing spell, he pulls his near-useless sword back out and steps in with a carefully-aimed swing. Unfortunately, his blow is deflected by the giant's armor. He finds himself thinking "We need to get the hell out of here", but he refuses to back down while his companions are in the fight.

Raul gives up on diplomacy and moves to attack the giant in aid of his friends but finds the giant too thick skinned to hit.

The giant brings his great club (1d20+17=27, 1d20+12=27) into play against the Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, and bashes (2d8+12=20, 2d8+12=17) (-10 damage reduction) it soundly twice. But the bug somehow manages to stay in the fight. Thea is disappointed to see that the giant seems unfazed by her magic.

The centipede's maw snaps again, though at the last second the giant manages to twist out of the way. Meanwhile, Moru chugs his potion, though he feels only the slightest rush of energy. [sblock=Moru]Maybe next time he shouldn't buy his potions at crazy Al's Temple and fried chicken ziggurat. ;) [/sblock]

Rahvin swings (1d20+7=21) again, and seems to be doing better, but his blade still fails to damage the giant. He shouts at Soulfetter behind him. "Next time I'll try to make an opening for you."

"Face a true knight, fiend!" Alarion shouts his challenge, and charges at the giant, sword held high, in hopes of drawing its attention from the battered former spy. The giant takes a poke (1d20+17=21) at the onrushing knight and the blow (2d8+12=16) rattles the knight in his armor, but he can take some comfort in the fact that the massive club could have been worse. The knight's own blow lands solidly against the giant.

SoulFetter's axe parts the hair of the giant's beard as it passes, but he again fails to connect. Damn, this guys quick! Gotta keep after him!

OOC: Will Save (1d20+7=19)

[sblock=Soulfetter]Rahvin uses his action next round to Aid Another (1d20+9=18) giving Soulfetter a bonus of +2 to his next attack against the giant. [/sblock]

OOC: Actions for Round 7?

Attachments

• giant_cavern.xls
    19 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Lou said:
[sblock=Scotley & Leif]This is the spoiler block from last round, you didn't move Raul to AA35 on the map:
Raul moves to AA35, attacks and misses.
flanking atk on giant (AC25) (1d20+8=12)
Did the giant get an AoO?
[/sblock]
[sblock=Lou-insky]The giant doesn't get an AoO when you move INTO a square that he threatens, but when/if you move OUT of a threatened square. Anyway he can't reach you in AA35, at least not without turning around. But you missed him pretty bad, so I doubt if he even noticed you, unless you broke your fingers against the floor of the cavern and screamed. And, as far as not getting you moved on the map, Scotley is in charge of maps for this fight, but I guess I could do it. Give me a moment....[/sblock]

Attachments

• giant_cavern.xls
    19 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=Lou and Leif]It seems I posted the map without saving it first, so instead of the map with the new moves on it, I reposted the one from the previous round. My appologies. I'll get the corrected one up momentarily. I'll just replace the one I posted above in case anyone else is out of place as well. The giant would have gotten an attack of opportunity against Raul when he moved from the threatened square 10' out into an adjacent square. To avoid such an Attack of Opportunity Raul would have had to stop at say AB34 and then take a 5' step (which is never subject to move related Attacks of Opportunity) into AA35. Creatures with reach are nasty aren't they? However, such an attack wasting precaution was not required this time since Raul appears unarmed and unarmored to the giant, while the heavily armed and armored knight was also charging and shouting a challenge this round. The giant's one attack of opportunity went to Alarion instead of Raul. I hope you don't feel slighted. ;) The supersized version of Soulfetter also has reach and more importantly fills a larger space, so Darius and Raul will both get flanking bonuses.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
[sblock=Lou and Leif]It seems I posted the map without saving it first, so instead of the map with the new moves on it, I reposted the one from the previous round. My appologies. I'll get the corrected one up momentarily. I'll just replace the one I posted above in case anyone else is out of place as well. The giant would have gotten an attack of opportunity against Raul when he moved from the threatened square 10' out into an adjacent square. To avoid such an Attack of Opportunity Raul would have had to stop at say AB34 and then take a 5' step (which is never subject to move related Attacks of Opportunity) into AA35. Creatures with reach are nasty aren't they? However, such an attack wasting precaution was not required this time since Raul appears unarmed and unarmored to the giant, while the heavily armed and armored knight was also charging and shouting a challenge this round. The giant's one attack of opportunity went to Alarion instead of Raul. I hope you don't feel slighted. ;) The supersized version of Soulfetter also has reach and more importantly fills a larger space, so Darius and Raul will both get flanking bonuses.[/sblock]
[sblock=scotley]Also, since Alarion and Raul are approaching form opposite sides of the giant, he can't very well see them both at the same time! Since he is looking at Alarion, Raul is behind him. Last time I checked, even stone(d) giants don't have eyes in the back of their heads! But, of course, you're absolutely correct about the giant having the reach advantage on Raul. I failed to consider that.

Also, was the Will save for the giant that you recently posted a save versus answering the knight's challenge? Did he succeed on that save? (I assume that 19 succeeds, but maybe not?) If the giant succeeded, then I have to say: DRAT THE LUCK OF OUR POOR KNIGHT!! He tries to use his Knight's Challenge ability in almost every encounter, and it really hasn't worked for him yet![/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=Leif]Actually, the save was for Thea's spell, which he avoided. I didn't roll for Alarion yet, since it won't really matter until the giant's next action. It was getting late and I didn't feel like looking for the DC. So I just decided it could wait. Roll it if you'd like. If the giant falls prey to the challenge I hope Jonas gets to Alarion with his wand before the giants next attack or it could be grim for Alarion. [/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Thea gave a quick pout of dismay when her spell failed- at this rate this single foe might be more of a problem than everything else they had seen down here combined... Still, they were elite constables, and they were not easy prey- with a few sharp words and a forceful gesture, she tried another spell.

OOC: [sblock]Casting Glitterdust- DC 15 Will save or be blinded for 4 rounds; while this is a 10 foot burst, Thea is going to aim the spell directly above the giant, as an airburst so that the giant is the only target in the effect. [/sblock]

Remove ads