Siangham real!

tauaru

First Post
Many years ago there was discussion on this sight (June, 2002) about the siangham. Revolving around whether or not it is a real weapon.

Well, I have been reseraching it since then...no wait.

I found that article while searching for info about the siangham...that's correct.

What I have found is that the siangham is a little known weapon that may be real.

Here is its Wikipedia entry .

Apparently it is used in the martial arts style Kuntao which really is just a Chinese word for fighting, but there are Kuntao schools.

The closest actual image I could find that resembled the descriptions I have found is of the Japanese Jutte: http://www.e-budokai.com/exhibit/images/L-R_last_four_jutte.jpg

Please let me know if you have more info or if my info is wrong. I hate using weapons that I have no idea what are for, even if it is for a fantasy game.

Huw

First Post
Inconclusive, but interesting. Thanks. The jutte is a nice weapon. It's a close relation of the sai and is the basis of modern police batons.

If we're going to reopen the siangham investigation, maybe start by finding out what language it is. It's certainly not Japanese or Mandarin. Looks vaguely Thai to me - anyone know Thai weaponry?

Huw

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Malaysian, actually. It's an arrow with a handle, for all intents and purposes.

-TRRW

Can't find it in any Bahasa dictionaries (though "siang" can mean "cut" or "gut a fish"), or in any references to Malaysian martial arts. The only source is that wikipedia article - and that's highly suspect. Can you provide a reference?

Klaus

First Post
The siangham came from the 1e Oriental Adventures. I suspect monks needed a piercing weapon, and it fit the bill. Since the ninja used kunai, I'd use that for siangham stats.

Wolf72

Explorer
theredrobedwizard said:
Malaysian, actually. It's an arrow with a handle, for all intents and purposes.

-TRRW

*Ahem*

I still call it a pointy stick, a metal pointy stick! :]

[edit] Everyone needs a pointy stick!!!!

Huw

First Post
Wolf72 said:
I still call it a pointy stick, a metal pointy stick! :]

I think we're losing track of the question. It's not:

"are there metal pointy sticks in the real world"

to which the answer is an unsurprising "yes", but:

"is there a pointy stick called a siangham in the real world, and if so, who uses it"

to which the answer is "don't know, but it wikipedia thinks it's Malaysian and 1e Oriental Adventures thinks it's real"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases