Trail of Cthulhu cover posted

Glyfair

Explorer
Normally I don't follow Cthulhu games. I played in one or two and they never really caught my imagination. However, I really want to see the GUMSHOE system in action, and I'm not interested in the genres of any of the other games. This one had some promise.

After seeing the cover on Simon Rogers blog has stirred my imagination, though. I think this moved up a few slots on my want list.

toccoveren9.jpg

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gah! My anticipation just ratcheted up another notch. I loved Esoterrorists, and CoC will work very well in the system.

Glyfair

Explorer
I'm really intrigued by the GUMSHOE concept of investigation. Robin has a great article "Don't do that"[ that explains the rationale behind the system. I want to try it. If I don't like the actual game, I might try to adapt it to d20.

This is what is my core interest revolves around:

The central "don't do that," at the heart of the GUMSHOE system concerns the mechanism whereby players in an investigative scenario gain the clues they need to solve the mystery. The tactical tradition treats this as a skill use like any other, with a chance of failure corresponding to your investment of character resources into that skill. Say you need to find out what your suspect's grandfather was doing during World War II. You roll your Library Use skill. If you allocated enough points to Library Use during character creation and/or manage to score a lucky roll, you get the information you need. If you invested lightly in the skill, or roll poorly, you're screwed. In theory, that is.

In reality, GMs either fudge the roll, or improvise a workaround, giving the characters repeated shots at discovering the same fact with various abilities, until one of them finally succeeds, permitting the plot to free itself from its rut and lurch onward. The standard approach borrows some of the outward aspects of a tactical game, but in fact relies on GM kludging to prevent them from operating-as it must, to serve the demands of story structure, which craves ongoing forward momentum.

GUMSHOE says, "Don't do that." Since the end of the process is a foregone conclusion-the characters get the info they need-why waste time, focus and creativity with a system that provides only the illusion of chance? Instead ,GUMSHOE provides a character generation system which guarantees that someone in the group will have made the necessary investment in every information-gathering ability, and which then grants access to clues on that basis. It is a simpler, streamlined way of achieving what good GMs are already doing-without the pointless and annoying faffing about.

Still, Simon has a lot of art that really conveys the atmosphere well. Which adds to my anticipation.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Gah! My anticipation just ratcheted up another notch. I loved Esoterrorists, and CoC will work very well in the system.

I've been intensely curious about both Trail and the basic Esoterrorists game. Is there a thread where you've detailed experiences with it?

GreatLemur

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
I've been intensely curious about both Trail and the basic Esoterrorists game. Is there a thread where you've detailed experiences with it?
Yeah, I'm really dying to hear more about the GUMSHOE system. I've read so many tantalizing hints about what it accomplishes, but absolutely nothing about precisely how. If the game is structured around the assumption that that player characters will definitely find the "core clues", what kind of mechanics does it offer to make sure the discovery of those cluse is an interesting process?

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I've got Esoterrorists, I might be able to field a few questions.

Essentially, major clues are defined as things which lead to the next scene or allow the players to continue to play, not necessarily things which solve the plot. The interpretation of the clues is supposed to be where the mystery comes from.

For example: in your traditional Cthulhu scenario, the players might have to make a Spot Hidden check to find the journal that tells them where the evil ritual will occur. If they don't make the check, then they don't get the journal, and they don't find the ritual in time.

In Esoterrorists, the clue leading to the next scene might be a matchbook to a particular club. The characters know where to go, but don't know what it means. They would then go to the club, come up with some ideas as to how to investigate, and discover that the club is important because it is where the evil rituals occur. This discovery would in turn lead them to the next clue that needs to be interpreted.

Note that the clue doesn't always have to be of the "go here next" variety, that's just an example. The main point is to give the players enough information to always keep them moving, and then let them discover the details through their own actions and ideas.

Mechanics-wise, the game defines a long list of investigative skills (about three times as long as their "general" skills, which cover everything else that a PC could possibly do). Players put ranks in these skills, and these ranks give them pools to spend to find additional clues through the game. The main clue is usually free, but side clues that can help with interpretation cost spends. This brings a bit of resource management into the game.

I still haven't read the book all the way through, so that's about the best I can do right now. The essential change is the way in which the mystery structure is changed. The structure outlines the progress and then challenges the players to determine how they're going to solve it, rather than forcing them to randomly hunt for magic keys to see if they solve it.

This might sound a little bit like giving the players an automatic win, but there's sitll plenty of stuff that can go wrong. They can get hurt or killed in combat, they can miss clues that lead them to the final scene unprepared, the can stop the bad guy without knowing about the overall conspiracy, etc. Essentially, what GUMSHOE does for mysteries what starting at the entrace of the cave does for D&D- it gets the players to the core game without wasting any time.

Glyfair

Explorer
PrinceXaxor said:
Is this a stand-alone game or just an expansion? I may never get to play it, but the art really has my interest.

Stand-alone, written by Kenneth Hite.

On the "GUMSHOE system" (from the Pelgran Press website.

The GUMSHOE rules system is a new rpg which revolutionizes investigative scenarios by ensuring that players are never deprived of the crucial clues they need to move the story forward. Adventure creation is a core component of the system

GUMSHOE was written by Robin D Laws, creator of the Dying Earth, and the first release incorporating the rule set is the Esoterrorist, released December 2006.

This website will be expanded to include other new projects using the GUMSHOE system, including GUMSHOE Horror and a new version of Call of Cthulhu by Kenneth Hite called Trail of Cthulhu.

Glyfair

Explorer
Byrons_Ghost said:
I've got Esoterrorists, I might be able to field a few questions.

Thanks Byron. I have a question (for your or anyone who can answer):

GUMSHOE provides a character generation system which guarantees that someone in the group will have made the necessary investment in every information-gathering ability

Briefly, how is this managed?

Remove ads