TMP Description clear-up.

Magatsu

First Post
The point was, the description. Might be nice to have it say more, be more defined, something. Since there are not employees there to serve what the sambot can't and all this other such. I did not lose my point. Maybe you should reread it a few times, and then once more and note that what I asked was their at ever turn.

Tharivious

First Post
I think Kal is dead on here. Your point is self-contradicting.

Magatsu said:
as I said, the earlier TMP description was I thought alittle better.
Just in case you missed it, in a post that was there before you added that sentence:
Magi_Gabriel said:
Um, the current description is quite literally copy and pasted from the old description when we first opened the room and the setting information copy and pasted from the setting pages we had back then so I'm really lost how the "earlier" one was better.
He would know better than anyone where the current description came from. He put it there.

I'm not quite sure how something identical can be better than itself.

That aside, point by point dissection of the issues you've raised:
Magatsu said:
Being a night club in any traditional sense, atleast the ones I have visited, have well multi level dance floors, how about tables and chairs? wall lounge booths. usually more dark for the light shows that constantly go on as well as the music generally heard from all areas bumping across the dance floors as well as anything else.
As Gabe said in his second post:
Magi_Gabriel said:
"A sophisticated nightclub in 2031 with a polished tile floors and colored lights flashing from the ceiling. Along the front wall is the "zoo" of exotic reptiles and fish while a well stocked bar runs along the back. Tables, a dance floor and a modest stage fill the rest of the room with a set of stairs leading up to a security locked door at one end of the bar."

The year needs to be updated when a certain lazy chat admin gets home from work. To a certain extent we want it to stay fairly "generic" so as to allow a diversity of characters (rather than just one particular subculture).
Dance floor location is addressed. Light show is addressed. Stage is addressed should it be needed. Decoration is addressed in the form of the terrariums. Bar location is addressed. Intentionally vague music is addressed as the intent is to not alienate visitors by subculture, and the fact that it's a nightclub, so the music being on goes without need of mention. Lack of multiple-level dance floors is addressed, as the upper part of the building is occupied by something else.

Magatsu said:
This to me is vague in a good way, offering the player his/her own personal experience of what a nightclub is. Noting music and it being a happening place. blah blah blah.
Aside from the fact that, as far as I remember from when I was actively contributing to the setting design of TMP in its preopening days, mutants and aliens were still considered very much tabloid rumour rather than hard fact... it's really just stating the obvious in a different way than the one we have now, and the current version is less specific by intent.

Magatsu said:
The one current says, "You walk into a club it has a bar, the rest of the place is dancefloor, door and some stage. have fun."
Mocking what exists now is not a valid argument for change.

Magatsu said:
What if I want a screw driver? Or an After Burn for a drink, do I ask the sambot or just go to another place, why not offer that there is a human bartender if the sambot isn't shaking up anything thats to your liking?
This has also been addressed by Gabe. S.A.M. (remember, Semi Automated Machine) was designed to be able to handle the bartending needs when live staffers weren't on shift. S.A.M. can handle it, because that's what it was built to do. If you don't want a preshaken martini from the machine, improv it as a wrapped set of vials coming out along with a mixer, and do it yourself. If someone else wants it the other way around, that's fine too.

Magatsu said:
I don't know what I am asking, but I guess I as I said, would like a more personal touch.
And as has been said by Gabe, it's left vague on purpose.

Magatsu said:
Even the old TMP had a DJ that took requests, How about large panel screen tvs for Vidoes playing with the music or just effect, and on its more dead moments you can flip through news or even sport events.
And then you run into issues of characters flipping through news stories that haven't been cleared with Brigid, which leads to entirely new issues. I don't know about you, but the bars that I go to don't generally give the patrons access to the controls of the screens, and preset video graphics tend to be too genre specific for a night club intentionally left generic to avoid needing eight different clubs for the various possible visitors.

Magatsu said:
What bothered me though is that when I narrate NPCs moving around, people assume im the idiot, but I always give them my explination - How would a happening nightclub in New York survive off a max of 9 patrons a night paying a cover charger or just a few drinks? I thought it was common sense to assume the players are not the only ones there, its like saying that the Sigil room has shops and good but with no merchants or patrons to shop in it, only those that are Player characters in the room at the time.
And why is this part of an argument to change the room's description, when it implies that a small subgroup of visitors are ignoring the obvious?

Magatsu said:
I guess the point is lost, I think the description lacks an real definition. but if you don't give a crap then I don't and I will continue to play this fantasy game as I see fit within the CoC and all that.
It's not a matter of anyone not caring (and that particular phrasing was a bit uncalled for, in my opinion, if what you say were the case, ISRP wouldn't be here for you to be making such claims), it's a matter of the point of the setting being lost on you.

And on an entirely different note:
Sienna Rose said:
What year is it? I've been figuring 2032?
If my memory serves me right, TMP was either 25 or 30 years in the future. 2032 would be the earliest, 2037 would be the latest. Been a while though, since I haven't been in the room since running the Cage opening night. :p

Magatsu

First Post
Thar always has to come in and do something, its like a no fail system.

The TMP when it was first made I thought had more to it. The description. Oh well, and the rest of what you say is usually worthless anyhow. So I won't and did not actually read the entire thing.

But just as I do, you have this want to go in and shut people down. And I can't say a word because I do it to. But unless you have something to say besides pitting words back and forth, then say it. Like I said, If you did say I, I didn't read all of your post. sorry.

Again, the point, TMP why cant the description be changed up alittle to offer more?

Or a link to a description that offers more to it? That was it. That was the point, can it happen?

Magatsu

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatsu
I guess the point is lost, I think the description lacks an real definition. but if you don't give a crap then I don't and I will continue to play this fantasy game as I see fit within the CoC and all that.

It's not a matter of anyone not caring (and that particular phrasing was a bit uncalled for, in my opinion, if what you say were the case, ISRP wouldn't be here for you to be making such claims), it's a matter of the point of the setting being lost on you.

I don't care what you thought of my phrasing, when I said I did not 'give a crap' it was for - if no one cared about me narrating a bartender, or that there are more people then just two in there the cool. - that was it.

Kalreil

First Post
What more does it need? As I requested before, why don't you make one? I have never been to a night club, and the description of it works fine for me, I know what is where and what I can expect to see.Perhaps if you contibute, instead of complain, something may be done.

Magatsu

First Post
I already offered some suggestions, vague but I was thinking others might like to add something to it. And on the point for Flat panels being used by customers, it was more ment for them to watch. As because in night clubs alot of them do have special effect screens for music they are playing and such, also ones by the bar for other things, sports, and yes, news, even video feeds from dancefloors around night club.

For the point of a DJ I did not say they had access to the sound systems to go choose songs, but when the week end comes clubs sponser artists to play at the club in a booth, that is accepsable enough to request music and such. Atleast all the clubs I have been to.

I offered up suggestions already. I was hoping others might also.

Last edited:

Kalreil

First Post
Alright, so you are saying that there should be TV's of some sort.That sounds reasonable.Something that has no relation to the people playing probably, couldnt be anything on the news like a gang war, unless it was preapproved.Weather and typical local news wouldn't be bad.As for the DJ, that seems like it would take someone playing it,so that is probably out.I would suggest a jukebox however.So, adding a TV or two behind the bar, and a jukebox, anything else?
Also, your suggestions came off as more or less just complaints, judging from the responses, which is more than likely why no one is taking your side.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
The main reasons I decline to comment much on the televisions or juke box is they are not enhancements to the description, they are modifications to the club. If people wanted to know more about the club as stands we can provide more information such as that one of the star attractions for it's rareness in the "zoo" is a scorpion fish or that there is a gila monster there who Gabriel has dubbed Jaime too. All of this is existing "atmosphere" we didn't include in the descriptions because it gives us something to talk about.

Adding television screens, a dozen live bar staff, etc would be modifying the setting and actually changing the setting itself then the description to reflect the updated setting.

Remove ads