TMP Description clear-up.

Magatsu

First Post
I will probably be warned for this but I wanted to know if the TMP discription could be more descriptive. If it is a futuristic night club the description reads more like stage cafe. Its just lacking any personal touch.

If I am wrong and it is not a -New York- night club then never mind.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Hmmmm. It's an up market New York nightclub which has a feature wall of a "zoo" of exotic reptiles and fish, the description as follows:

"A sophisticated nightclub in 2031 with a polished tile floors and colored lights flashing from the ceiling. Along the front wall is the "zoo" of exotic reptiles and fish while a well stocked bar runs along the back. Tables, a dance floor and a modest stage fill the rest of the room with a set of stairs leading up to a security locked door at one end of the bar."

The year needs to be updated when a certain lazy chat admin gets home from work. To a certain extent we want it to stay fairly "generic" so as to allow a diversity of characters (rather than just one particular subculture). So with that in mind, what kind of personal touches is it lacking?

Magatsu

First Post
Being a night club in any traditional sense, atleast the ones I have visited, have well multi level dance floors, how about tables and chairs? wall lounge booths. usually more dark for the light shows that constantly go on as well as the music generally heard from all areas bumping across the dance floors as well as anything else.

--It is the year 2032. Mankind has made contact with extraterrestrial life and technology is advancing. So what if some people say that mutants are appearing? This place looks human enough. This is New York City and business is booming. The clubs come alive after dark and this one catches your attention. The music’s pumping, and there’s no metal detector on the door. Do you want to sit or do you want to dance? There’s plenty of room for both inside. So come in, have a drink.--

This to me is vague in a good way, offering the player his/her own personal experience of what a nightclub is. Noting music and it being a happening place. blah blah blah.

The one current says, "You walk into a club it has a bar, the rest of the place is dancefloor, door and some stage. have fun."

What if I want a screw driver? Or an After Burn for a drink, do I ask the sambot or just go to another place, why not offer that there is a human bartender if the sambot isn't shaking up anything thats to your liking?

I don't know what I am asking, but I guess I as I said, would like a more personal touch.

Even the old TMP had a DJ that took requests, How about large panel screen tvs for Vidoes playing with the music or just effect, and on its more dead moments you can flip through news or even sport events.

What bothered me though is that when I narrate NPCs moving around, people assume im the idiot, but I always give them my explination - How would a happening nightclub in New York survive off a max of 9 patrons a night paying a cover charger or just a few drinks? I thought it was common sense to assume the players are not the only ones there, its like saying that the Sigil room has shops and good but with no merchants or patrons to shop in it, only those that are Player characters in the room at the time.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
I believe you may wish to look at the menu option Settings - The Meeting Place

Which contains more detailed information about the interior, exterior and rules of the place. Sambot is present because, like CRT, the human bartenders are the site staff who appear. When we first started we had them pretty regularly, unfortunately as we no longer get paid and we now have far fewer hosts they are not so common.

Players are free to improv ordering non-standard drinks (except Mountain Dew) from Sambot, who serves the same purpose that Bargolem does. The place is meant to look "human" so as to allow people in without having to be shocked/scared etc by the unusual visitors. Same principle as CRT.

Without seeing what you're emoting for other patrons non-player, I can't comment on whether it is appropriate or not. Generally though they are treated as they are in CRT, the Rotunda and the Bazaar. They are there but generally not interacting with the individuals or controlled by any individual player.

Magatsu

First Post
Well since most people go by what the description says when you enter the room, how hard would it be to up-date it, as I said, the earlier TMP description was I thought alittle better.

To do with the NPC's I assume they are not to be controlled and rarely noticed, its just bothersome to "watch others on the dance floor" then another player comments saying "There is only two people in the club, so how can anyone else be dancing."

I never assumed that characters could manipulate anything like that.

I guess I am going to continue to assume there are humans at work their for the point of, who cleans the bar? straightens up the establishment, collects glasses, counts the till, makes sure security is doing their part. (door man that use to be there?) or just making sure no one is raising to much hell? or does this sambot do all of that?

Anyhow just though it would bet abit nicer.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Um, the current description is quite literally copy and pasted from the old description when we first opened the room and the setting information copy and pasted from the setting pages we had back then so I'm really lost how the "earlier" one was better.

Sambot is capable of handling pretty much all of the standard bar functions and there is another bot who we used to bring out who did the maintenance and cleaning work during "quiet" hours (those hours when there are no customers around). So live workers such as Gabriel are few.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Magatsu said:
To do with the NPC's I assume they are not to be controlled and rarely noticed, its just bothersome to "watch others on the dance floor" then another player comments saying "There is only two people in the club, so how can anyone else be dancing."

I never assumed that characters could manipulate anything like that.

I guess I am going to continue to assume there are humans at work their for the point of, who cleans the bar? straightens up the establishment, collects glasses, counts the till, makes sure security is doing their part. (door man that use to be there?) or just making sure no one is raising to much hell? or does this sambot do all of that?

Anyhow just though it would bet abit nicer.

I've never seen anyone fuss about a mention of dancers - in fact, I've seen several people mention 'gets lost in the crowd on the dance floor', 'moves among the dancers', 'makes his (or her) way through the crowd to the bar'. . .
And, almost everyone I've seen mentions showing ID to the bouncers, or being waved in by the bouncers (some of the girls smile flirtingly at the bouncers ;) )

Now, about narrating a human bartender - having something that specific, I do wonder about that.
Magi_Gabriel said:
Which contains more detailed information about the interior, exterior and rules of the place. Sambot is present because, like CRT, the human bartenders are the site staff who appear. When we first started we had them pretty regularly, unfortunately as we no longer get paid and we now have far fewer hosts they are not so common.
Since the human bartenders are site staff, I would assume that, if there is no site staff present, there is no human bartender - that's what SAM is for, correct?

Just wondering to clarify - a human bartender would be someone very specific and have certain authority (another thread discussed playing people in authority), so that would be a bit different than narrating a bunch of nameless random NPCs. Yeah, I mentioned narrating the bouncers - but, I've only ever seen that used as an entrance, and no real action coming from them.

I don't think a dessie has to establish the presence of any NPCs - since it populates on the as everyone enters, I think it ought to be short and sweet. Especially since it is described in greater detail, as mentioned, under Settings. Just my two cents. :) I like the dessie. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, though, so, I'm not saying anyone's wrong.

Magi_Gabriel said:
The year needs to be updated when a certain lazy chat admin gets home from work.
What year is it? I've been figuring 2032?

Magatsu

First Post
I guess the point is lost, I think the description lacks an real definition. but if you don't give a crap then I don't and I will continue to play this fantasy game as I see fit within the CoC and all that.

but I will assume because the sambot has a inadiquate selection I will order from a bartender, because even when the magi are there they seem alittle more involved with the conversation at hand then serving, greeting, doing what their I guess role is in the place. I could be wrong, this is just what I have seen.

This was a suggestion, that was all, but take it as a tread to validate reasons and why not to change it or atleast make it more appealing.

Remove ads