Detect Wild Magic Field

Obrysii

First Post
In my campaign world, set on modern Earth, the world has a rather major problem: it's about to burst with magical energies generated within it. A seal exists that surrounds the Earth, keeping all of the perpetual magic within it. However, over time, the seal has reached its limits, and on occasion holes appear--wild magic surges (or fields) occur.

Wild Magic Fields have many different effect--from Empowering spells to endowing Lycanthropy on people, to Awakening animals [It's basically a plot device with some in-game effects].

The primary mission of the PCs are to find and reseal these holes. And as such, they need a spell to detect them and to find the focal point (where the new seal must be applied).

That said, here is the rough draft of the spell. I need some help with the mechanics if they appear fuzzy.

Detect Wild Magic Field
Divination
Level: [All spellcasters] 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Area: Quarter circle emanating from you to the extreme of the range.
Duration: Concentration up to 10 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You can see Wild Magic Fields within 60ft, if your vision isn't blocked. Wild Magic Fields often vary in color, but they are always different from the inherent environment. Some may appear blue, others red, and still others may appear green, yellow, or varying mixes of color.

If the nearest Wild Magic Field is less than one mile away, and your vision is blocked by barriers or distance, you can still sense its general direction.

Within the Wild Magic Field you can spend additional rounds focusing on an area to determine if the field's focal point is in that area. This works even if the your vision is blocked. As a series of full round actions, you can hound in on the focal point.
--Round 1: Presence of focal point within one-mile radius
--Round 2: Number of focal points within one-mile radius
--Round 3: General direction towards focal point(s)
--Round 4: Distance and direction to the focal point(s)

Does that make sense, or is it largely incoherent like I fear it is?

Remove ads