The creature behind the Bag of Devouring

Felix

Explorer
What is this thing?

All we get are references to the Bag of Devouring being its feeding orifices, but that's it. Perhaps this thing as the ability to penetrate non-dimensional spaces? Perhaps this creature itself is non-dimensional?

I've the feeling that this creature could spice campaigns up, where Bags of Holding are now risky ventures, since you'll never know when the Horror will come to feed; where Rope Trick resting spaces are risky, and the only benefit is being able to see what is eating you before you're devoured; where entering a Portable Hole hangs you out to feed upon; where combining a Bag of Holding and a Portable Hole creates a portal to Non-dimension, the space between realities where this thing lives.

Who has done what with the Bag of Devouring Monster? Has anyone ever worked in plotlines centering around the Non-dimensional Horror?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Felix said:
Who has done what with the Bag of Devouring Monster? Has anyone ever worked in plotlines centering around the Non-dimensional Horror?

I've had PCs use it for body disposal (like mobsters and pig farms...).

I've also had an illithid city, the City of Devourings, based in the gut of the creature's main body deep within the Astral (I don't immediately recall if I got the idea from canon or a really inspired idea from RoE or Planewalker).

Delta

First Post
Ihagnim

Interestingly, I'm seeing a reference to the creature as having been written up for 1E AD&D in Dragon issue #89, Creature Catalog I, as the "Ihagnim".

Unfortunately, my Dragon magazine CD archive is missing that article -- it was a feature in the center that wasn't paginated with the rest of the magazine (first time I ever noticed that). Maybe someone has issue #89 kicking around, with the article still attached.

zen_hydra

First Post
The article discusses how Bags of Devouring are the "mouths" of creatures known as Devourers. The number of bags/mouths that a devourer has developed determines its level of sentience.

frankthedm

First Post
Felix said:
What was that nature?
Wimpy. It felt like the article wanted to make a trip through the bag survivable, which it should not be.

nterestingly, I'm seeing a reference to the creature as having been written up for 1E AD&D in Dragon issue #89, Creature Catalog I, as the "Ihagnim".

Unfortunately, my Dragon magazine CD archive is missing that article -- it was a feature in the center that wasn't paginated with the rest of the magazine (first time I ever noticed that). Maybe someone has issue #89 kicking around, with the article still attached.
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1955/ihagnim0iv.gif

Remove ads