The big announcement: 4dventure

EricNoah

Adventurer
Well, I have a TON of 3E stuff. More than i could probably use in my whole lifetime. I was VERY turned off by how WotC handled Master Tools/eTools and have very little faith that their character building/management tools will mesh with the way I play. I was VERY turned off by how WotC handled the Dragon and Dungeon magazine situation.

I don't begrudge anyone a new edition. Who knows, in a few years I might be ready. But I just have scads and scads and scads of stuff I haven't used yet. I just don't see it happening...

Friadoc

Explorer
EricNoah said:
My goal is to stick with 3e and yet avoid becoming a bitter grognard. Possible? We'll find out...

While I can see my group buying 4e stuff, we're still so engrained in our Arcana Evolved campaign (played with the same characters since Arcana Unearthed released) that I don't see us jumping systems unless Monte Cook suddenly releases AE/AU 4th Edition.

Personally, I think 3e is very viable branch/splinter that could easily go on a tangent development/production line, but only if enough companies step-up to help it happen.

Green Ronin is one such company, Paizo could easily be another, as is Malhvoc Press.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Count me in as stunned. I thought they were going to wait longer. I hope that Chris Perkins and Chris Thomasson have had a strong hand in the design (surely the design must be almost over by now?). I keep thinking of how Peter Adkison was such a great guiding force for Jonathan, Monte, and Skip. Wow. I just hope they did 4E right.

I was at the Trade Day seminar with Randy Buehler (sp?) today. Randy is in charge of Gleemax. I wonder if he knew that his board minions were about to let the cat prematurely out of the bag? :)

Xyxox

Hero
Charwoman Gene said:
Wrong.

You don't even know if 4e is fundamentally incompatible.

D&D has forked dozens of times before, and survived, anyway.

Guranteed it'll fork.

One fork open, the other closed. IF the only way you can develop content for 4E is on the D&D Insider site and nowhere else, that's a closed system.

Ergo, the 3.5 SRD continues on one completely open fork and 4E continues on the other, closed fork.

Inferno!

Explorer
There is a bright side for those of you that don't intend to switch. Just think of all the cheap 3.5 books showing up at Half-Price Books and eBay. :D

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
How can I get a pretty screenshot that show the whole page like Catsclaw did? I don't want a truncated one that just show what's available on my monitor, but the entire page. Any suggestions?

Friadoc

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Well, I have a TON of 3E stuff. More than i could probably use in my whole lifetime. I was VERY turned off by how WotC handled Master Tools/eTools and have very little faith that their character building/management tools will mesh with the way I play. I was VERY turned off by how WotC handled the Dragon and Dungeon magazine situation.

I don't begrudge anyone a new edition. Who knows, in a few years I might be ready. But I just have scads and scads and scads of stuff I haven't used yet. I just don't see it happening...

Definately a series of dropped balls there, in my not so humble opinion.

Heck, I remember the Dragon and Dungeon announcement day/weekend, as I was all over the boards, not always possessing a cool head, either.

Master Tools/eTools was a great idea that was mishandled. It is really hard, in my opinion, for non-tech companies to try and launch an ambitious tech idea, which Master Tools/eTools was.

But, the cool factor of getting that CD in the PHB still tickles my fancy.

Now, hopefully, they've learned from the past few years, worked out some kinks, are the coming product will show that, but I'm nervous about that, for sure.

Remove ads