Sales drought for WotC until mid-2008?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I apologize if there's already a thread like this, but I'd just thought I'd ask.

Though 4e seems to have some interesting changes in store (from the bits & pieces of rumor floating about), I have to wonder if this will not be good for sales of current D&D products (at least until mid-2008).

As it is, I know I will not purchase any more D&D products until 4e is released. I have budget limits as it is, and I don't care to spend money of stuff that'll be deemed outdated within a year. I may start selling off books that I don't use anymore, and I'll recommend my friends to do the same (since many of them are broke cheapskates like me).

Also, I wonder if sales of existing products (other than minis) will sharply decline with this announcement, &/or if obtaining electronic copies of works "illegitimately" may increase, since folks may feel more motivated to obtain materials at no cost, esp. since it'll be outdated in a year. Esp. with the statement of "starting campaigns fresh will be better" from the WotC folks.

Also, what about CRPGs & the like? Sure, if they're entertaining enough, folks may buy them. But IMHO a good game that uses/works with the current rules set seems to be a great recruiting tool for new players (and, those players will be somewhat familiar with the tropes & system of the game thanks to the CRPG).

I'm also curious to hear what some of the 3rd-party publishers around here have to say about the prospects of 4e's OGL. Will the new method be good to keep quality products? Will the licence's cost (which I guess there will be) keep everyone except the big fish out of the pond?

Also, with 4e looming, how will this affect stuff like Paizo's Pathfinder series? It seems like that was going to be their new thing, but will it change & be updated to 4e, or will it suffer because people may not be interested in buying something for a soon-to-be-obsolete system?

I'm just wondering what sort of financial impact this may have in general.

delericho

Legend
WotC will absolutely see a sales slump of all books from now until the release of 4e (except those two 'teaser' books, of course). This is inevitable, and will have been taken account of in their planning. Indeed, this is why there are so few books on the schedule, and why those that are there are either fluff-heavy (so system-independent), or adventure material (and so use-once books anyway).

Certainly, I know I'm only planning on getting "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk", the third part of the DD series, and the "Rules Compendium".

AFGNCAAP

First Post
delericho said:
WotC will absolutely see a sales slump of all books from now until the release of 4e (except those two 'teaser' books, of course). This is inevitable, and will have been taken account of in their planning. Indeed, this is why there are so few books on the schedule, and why those that are there are either fluff-heavy (so system-independent), or adventure material (and so use-once books anyway).

Certainly, I know I'm only planning on getting "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk", the third part of the DD series, and the "Rules Compendium".

I was looking forward to the Rules Compendium, too. Well, guess I'll save my money, since there won't be any real point in getting it.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
delerchio said:
Same here - although you can add Grand History of the Realms to my shopping list as well.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I think this is why several of the upcoming releases are fluff-heavy and rules-light. While the rules of the game will be changing, the settings themselves won't be impacted in a huge way.

You are correct that there will probably be a lull in the sales of new products. There might be a small run by people who want to grab 3.5 products before they go away, but many more will wait, or just stop buying altogether in protest of 4e. That is, I'm sure, a big reason they haven't announced it sooner.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They have anticipated it, with a "crunch lite" schedule. Also, some things may have special status (like the last Eberon products?-actually, that could be another thread).

But ya, sales of the Rules Compendium may not be great. But I am sure they guessed that.

And they will make up for it. In such a big way.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
AFGNCAAP said:
I was looking forward to the Rules Compendium, too. Well, guess I'll save my money, since there won't be any real point in getting it.

Could the Rules Compendium be a bridge between 3e and 4e?

If so, I think it will be a hit. I'll be getting it, for sure!

/M

mcrow

Explorer
AFGNCAAP said:

The compendium was the first thing that tipped me off that 4ed might be coming sooner than we think. Why would you publish such a book if you wanted to continue selling the books that some of that stuff was already published in?

Xyxox

Hero
delericho said:

I may get the Greyhawk book for sentimental reasons.

I'm definitely pre-ordering the teaser books.

Jakar

First Post
I will still be getting the books.

I am pretty sure our group will not change to 4e that quickly, and I have invested to much $ in 3rd Ed, so we will beplaying that for a while.

I will pick up the new Players Handbook though most likely.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases