Sales drought for WotC until mid-2008?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The flip side being that everyone who thinks they will not be jumping on the 4e bandwagon immediately, if ever, now has one year to get any and all titles that they may want. Once the new game is out, the old titles will only be available on the used market...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've already dropped a number of WotC books from my Amazon and Paizo shopping carts.

OTOH, I'm picking up some fluffy books at the same time (including all three campaign style books from Atlas Games), which should continue to be mostly useful forever.

I'm going back and forth on Greyhawk. Do I really want a level 8+ supermodule that's going to need a fair amount of conversion, when my group isn't going to play that for at least a year? I don't know.

Alnag

First Post
I am going to buy Greyhawk (I really like it) and than the transitional adventure in April (I forgot the name... Shadowfell was it?) In the mean time I will make myself happier with Star Wars Saga Books.

mcrow

Explorer
All of my D&D buying, and d20 outside of Saga Edition for that matter, is on hold untill 4ed stuff starts coming out.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I think it will be more damaging to 3rd party d20 publishers such as Paizo, Goodman Games and Necromancer. Any print publisher who has just put out a d20/3.5 compatible book is probably cursing their bad luck.

WotC has had time to prepare. Sure, their sales will be down, but they knew exactly when they would be down in advance.

catsclaw227

First Post
mcrow said:
All of my D&D buying, and d20 outside of Saga Edition for that matter, is on hold untill 4ed stuff starts coming out.
I am pretty much in the same boat. Though... I am a Paizo subscriber, and I just bought the Necromancer Games' City of Brass. I would love to hear from the Paizo folks because I recently decided to invest heavily in their d20 products. I would really want to see a Pathfinder converstion doc coming as soon as a license/SRD is thrown out to the publishers.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
...(including all three campaign style books from Atlas Games)...
Which books are you talking about? Love & War, Crime & Punishment, Dynasties & Demagogues?

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
catsclaw227 said:
I am pretty much in the same boat. Though... I am a Paizo subscriber, and I just bought the Necromancer Games' City of Brass. I would love to hear from the Paizo folks because I recently decided to invest heavily in their d20 products. I would really want to see a Pathfinder converstion doc coming as soon as a license/SRD is thrown out to the publishers.

Which books are you talking about? Love & War, Crime & Punishment, Dynasties & Demagogues?
Eric Mona chimed in on another thread today that said Pathfinder will be 3.5 until the release of 4e, after that they will decide based upon several factors, including the opinions of readers.

catsclaw227

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Eric Mona chimed in on another thread today that said Pathfinder will be 3.5 until the release of 4e, after that they will decide based upon several factors, including the opinions of readers.
Yea, I read that as well. And last night he hinted that he might have more information after the announcement (or after GenCon).

Either way, Paizo can have my money. They've proven to be stand-up guys who look out for the interests of their customers.

Festivus

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
If prices on 3E books take a drastic cut, I might buy some (that would be an increase in my 3E/d20 spending).

Same with me, I am still wanting quite a few, and I suspect to be playing 3.5 for quite some time... but I won't buy new unless it's on sale.

I am hoping to see some ebay auctions in the next 12-18 months.

Remove ads