Lost: Savage Tide style.

Arabesu

Episode 1a

Yens Halfulfen, boson of the Sea Wyvern, coughed, heaved, and coughed again. Head-down, hands and knees in the sand he took a deep breath. A mistake. With one final cough he painfully expunged the last of the brine from his lungs, along with a very tiny fish. He watched this tiny fish for moment still dazed from nearly drowning. Nearly drowning? It was an absurd thought really, for he was such a strong swimmer. Rolling over onto into a squat, he accepted it. He had nearly drowned.

He looked out at the remains of the Sea Wyvern reefed only a few hundred yards from the beach. The storm that had shattered the ship was even now dissipating off to the west. Still somewhat dazed he leaned onto the broken spar lying next to him. It must have been part of the mizzenmast, exploded by the first big bolt of lightning. It was still quite hot, and sizzled with every lap of the breakers. Its warmth was curiously comfortable, reassuring, and grounding.

The clouds were parting off to the east, and in the gap, he saw the half moon. A daytime moon was rare treat and a good tiding! Abruptly, he stood, and howled. It wasn’t a particularly good howl, his lungs had not yet fully recovered, but he made up for the lack of volume by emoting the heartbreak over the lost ship. The long forlorn cry, lilting over the beach and echoing off the woods, reassured him further. He had work to do.

Suddenly, he noticed a body floating slowly toward him. He focused his vision and knew it was Captain Amella. Something was amiss: she floated too much out of the water. Then she rose out of the water altogether as the warforged blacksmith Klem came stomping out. With her form suspended over his head, he made for shore. Yens helped her to the ground, while Klem watched on silently. Yens, looked up at the living construct, “You did well Klem. Its good to see you hale and healthy.” His reply was only, “As for Klem, it is good to see you alive, Mister Yens.”

Amella was barely breathing. Yens had no skill at a surgery. Where was Kira? As if on cue, a massive eagle, weighing as much as grown man, swooped in toward the three castaways. Yards above the ground it began to transform into the Sea Wyvern’s other shifter, Kira. He landed mid-stride to a jog and had a wand and a poultice readied before his second step. Stoically crouching down over Amella’s still form, he said, “Cyrus is a few hundred yards from us clinging to some flotsom. I spotted him during my descent. I will be busy here, you must retrieve him.”

Yens turned on a heel and launched himself into the water. It grated on his nerves that Kira ordered him around as much as he did. And there was that other thing: Kira’s folk, the dreamsighted, had always made Yen’s a bit uneasy. Aloof they were, aloof and cold, and wise. So terribly and frighteningly wise. Yens had little use for wisdom relying more on his bold and impetuous enthusiasm. His folk, the longstrider shifters, had always relied on constant motion to preserve them, if you can move you are still alive…

The water was too cold. In all likelihood he would drown. There again was that haste that differentiated him so from Kira. He had rushed out into the water without thinking, without considering if he was outfitted properly. Just as he thought his arms would give, he reached the fragment of the topgallant that the Azurian Cyrus Morgrave was clinging to. Yens rested, a foot away from his semi-conscious friend. “Cyrus, wake up. Cyrus. Cyrus.” Not wanting to release his handholds, he head-butted Cyrus smartly.

Instantly the “good-incarnate” was fully awake, “For all that is holy, what was that for?”

“Kira needs us back on shore. If your quite finished with your nap do you think we could retire to the beach?” was Yens’ reply.

“Or course,” and with that Cyrus stood up out of the swell, and running upon the surface of water sprinted for shore.

“Oh don’t mind me! Can I at least get a tow?” Called out Yens. But Cyrus was already out of earshot, his cerulean sandals glowing brilliantly as he hurdled each breaker.

“That’s a hero for you,” came a voice behind Yens’ head. Turning suddenly and almost losing his purchase, Yens shouted, “Tsuan, you are alive. I had expected you to be onshore by now.”

The aventi Wu-Jen grinned back at him. “Nope. I had to take the helm when Amella was thrown clear. So I suppose you could say I went down with the ship.”

Yens was quite jealous of Tsuan’s recently acquired proficiency with boat piloting. Yens, a veteran sailor, was half the pilot of Tsuan-Tse. The water-mage’s innate genius and water affinity had allowed him to learn nautical tasks ten times as fast as lesser men. The frail aquan knew of Yens’ mild jealousy, and since they were friends, changed the subject by gulping down a mouthful of seawater as enthusiastically as a sailor drinks rum. “Tastes pretty good here: rich in strontium. Too bad about the Wyvern.”

“Indeed,” added Yens, “how long do you reckon it’ll take to get her up and going, Quartermaster Tse?”

Tsuan paused, tried to lighten his tone, but he couldn’t bring himself to jest about the destroyed ship. So he replied smoothly, “Yens, I don’t know that it will ever sail again.” With that they were quiet for a long while.

The water seemed like it was warming. Either that or Yens had recovered some of his vigor. Feeling better, he started paddling his makeshift life preserver toward shore. “Race?” asked the aventi treading next to him.

“Not on your life. You live in the element. How am I supposed to out swim a fish?”

“I’ll use only one arm.”

“Yes, but I can only kick, otherwise I’ll sink. I’m tired, Tsuan.”

“Oh, don’t be such a child. Aren’t you supposed to be some kind of fearsome pirate or some such?” jabbed Tsuan. “How about we make the race go all the way to the edge of the jungle to make it more fair?”

They continued paddling to shore slowly. Yens grinned. He tried to pick up the pace at first hoping that Tsuan wouldn’t notice and maybe he could get a head start. Tsuan noticed, and matched him nonchalantly, effortlessly. Then Yens let go of his raft and they swam. Tsuan kept his word: he only used one arm. He still kept ahead of Yens; Yens really was exhausted. They heard chants from shore. There were several more survivors there now: the naturalist Urol Forol, Tavey Nansk the cabin boy, and that foul nobleman, Avner Marivanchy, and his horse. His horse! How had the animal survived?

Those on shore chanted as Yens and Tsuan-Tse raced toward them. Apparently Tavey had found the ship’s spyglass, guessed their task, and goaded the rest into cheering them on. Sportingly, they were evenly favoring Yens and Tsuan. Avner stood causally by and scowled, now mounted upon his horse.

When they reached the beach, Tsuan was only about ten yards or so ahead of Yens; they sprinted for the tree line up the loose sand. Yens knew then that he had already won. In the water, Tsuan had the advantage, but on land over uneven terrain…

Thud.

Dazed, Yens looked around. He had run right into Avener’s mount, because the noble had interposed himself between Yens and the forest.

“Flush it to the bottom, Avner… What is the meaning of this? .... We were in the middle of a race…” Shouted Yens, up at Avner between gasps for breath.

“Enough folly,” coldly replied the aristocrat. “Fetch water for Thunderstrike. He is thirsty.”

“What? You self important jackass, you don’t get it. I may be the boson and thus not technically an officer, but have you paid attention? The men call me sir. No one but the captain can order me around. And certainly not some… colonist.” Rebutted Yens acidly.

He knew why Avner and himself never got along. When they had set out from Sasserine, Yens had taken the second best cabin on the ship. This space had originally been earmarked for special guests, but everyone knew from the moment that Avner rode, not walked, rode onto the ship, that he was going to be a pain in the aft. So Yens had decided to have a little fun at his expense. With a few silvered words and some eloquent arguments, he was able to convince the rest of his adventuring group and Captain Amella that Cyrus and himself should take the port cabin. This was particularly clever since Cyrus had a ring that allowed him to operate without sleep. Thus Yens had one of the finest spaces virtually all to himself while Avner, noble born and rich, had to sleep before the mast in common quarters with all the other colonists and sailors.

“You forget that my Uncle sponsored this voyage and we are no longer on the Wyvern, Mr. Halfulfen. As such I feel no compunction to obey the conventions of nautical travel. You are a base born and low…”

“ROAAAR,” Avner’s soliloquy was thankfully broken short as the Jungle parted to reveal a Huge creature pushing aside the thick palms as if they were toothpicks.

“ROAAR” Its jaws were massive, with teeth like swords. It stood taller than the Wyvern’s mast on two stout legs and swung its thick tail about clearing an area of trees as wide as a farmhouse.

The naturalist Urol shouted, “It’s a Tyranosaurus Rex!” His excitement upon seeing a dinosaur for the first time suppressed by abject terror. “It’ll kill us all!”

Indeed, the creature had interposed itself between Tsuan and the rest of the group, obviously intent on having the isolated water-mage as its lunch.

Yens wove past Thunderstrike to intercept the beast. He reached down to draw his rapier… but it was gone from its scabbard.

“Sir” shouted Tavey from behind him.

Yens turned just in time to catch the hilt of his weapon as it flew at him. Good boy, Tavey: The cabin boy must have recovered the magical rapier around the same time as the spyglass.

As Yens ducked under the dinosaur it snapped at him barely missing. The sharp crunch of the bite resonated thunderously near Yen’s skull. Turning to jab up at the dinosaur’s hip he became aware of the ineffectiveness of his strike. A similar stab would have easily skewered a man, but against the dinosaur it looked like little more than a pinprick.

Then he noticed a recovered Amella approaching. As the dinosaur swung toward Yens, she plunged her rapier in its neck just as a panther, the druid in his predator form, bit into its heel. Now noticeably injured, it took a step back to assess its three opponents.

A stream of superheated steam burned its belly while a globule of acid covered its eyes. The t-rex howled in pain. Cyrus pumped his hand in the air in jubilation; he had had trepidation at throwing the acid into the melee, but he new now that the monster was so seriously injured that it had been worth it. The water mage, on the other hand, had wasted no time on celebration, deciding to place as much distance between himself and the monster as his shaky land-legs would permit after having burnt it with his steam.

As abruptly as it had arrived, the mammoth creature fled into the forest. Yens and Amella took parting stabs with their weapons, but it was still too tough to take down with two mere inches of steel. After a moment they could hear their panting over its fleeing steps and after several seconds more there was only the lapping of the waves and the stunned silence of the nearby colonists.

Last edited:

carborundum

Adventurer
Nice one! Nicely written, great 'colloquialisms', interesting characters - and a T-Rex. Subscribing now :)

PS: I really like "flush it to the bottom" - is that a real one?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Great stuff! I am immediately hooked!

If it were not that I am running parts of STAP in my "Second Son of a Second Son" campaign I would recommend it to my players! :)

Arabesu

Some of the "colloquialisms" have come from other sessions; I think that "flush it" came before this one back when we were first taking the Wyvern. I also took a few liberties with regard to the story here and there to catch everyone up to speed. For example, there wasn't a race just before this encounter, but it is something that Yens would be into and would probably do to show off at some other point. However, there was a very heated argument between all of the PCs and Avner, which I abrieviated because it would have been boring. These changes are mainly to give you a feel for what the characters are all about in the course of a single brief post. Subsequent posts will probably be more "true to the quotes" particularly when we get closer to the present. "Pain in the aft" has been said many times with regard to Avner.

We're well into this campaign arc and I didn't want to start at the very beginning because quite frankly I wasn't even sure Yens would make it throught that first encounter with that bug with the pedipalps so I didn't take very good notes back then. The STAP has been fairly brutal and we have been blessed with only one PC death so far although many close ones, in particular the fight with the lemorian Golem where every character but the druid was in the negatives and dying at the end. We are also a very small party of four plus a few NPCs so that has been fairly exciting.

To keep to the "Lost" theme, I plan on recapping some of the earlier encounters of the STAP as flashbacks; I think I have a recap of the first PC death wrapped up in the next installment.

Arabesu

Oh and I remember Avner saying exactly: “Fetch water for Thunderstrike. He is thirsty.”

That cracked us up and made us mad at the same time. Its always great to have some wanker hanging on who you can make fun of from time to time.

Arabesu

Episode 1b

Yens stirred the coals. The group had camped on the beach to recover from the various injuries acquired when they were shipwrecked. As per the norm, Yens had taken a watch near twilight when his night vision was at its most acute. Now several hours into the dogwatch, he was getting bored and his thoughts had grown dark.

He recalled the first ship he had served upon as a youngster: The liberator. He remembered the day that the stout House Lyrander vessel was taken and her mostly half-elven crew slaughtered by Reaver marauders from “Le Sanguin Enfant.” The tall and lanky Yens had only survived the attack by sneaking aboard their foul red craft and stowing away until they reached Reaver Island. Once there he hid and later was able to integrate himself into the chaos and pose as a Reaver in the hope of boarding a ship bound for civilized territories.

For two and half years he perpetrated the disguise, stoically witnessing horrible atrocities while deep inside he was losing himself to madness. Just before he lost himself completely he was rescued by an overmatched Lyrander ship in an escapade for which he had become famous: “Yen’s Maneuver.” Over time, he has returned to his former personality and outlook and yet there are moments when he would brood and consider his past and the cold darkness within.​

He forced himself away from the dark thoughts of the past to concentrate on the dark thoughts of the present. The Sea Wyvern had left Sasserine with a complement of twenty-four. The ship had been part of a convoy intended to deliver Yens’ patron, Levinia Vanderborne, and several passengers to Farshore, a colony on the far side of the Isle of Dread. The Wyvern had been separated and rejoined to Levinia’s vessel, the Blue Nixie, several times during the trip, but in the storm the had struck down the Wyvern they had been separated for what Yens perceived as the last time.

Although the complement of the Wyvern was mostly travelers bound for the burgeoning colony, a few had skill with a sword or bow. The gifted artist and archer Skald had valiantly perished in the fight with the flotsom ooze. The rake Lirith Veldirose and the cook Yurianna Fens had died when the Wyvern was surprised by the nine headed cryohydra at the mouth of the Aticula River while they resupplied.

Yens had not known either Lirith or Yurianna, but he had gotten to know Skald, who had struck him as an odd and curious chap, part fey, with no one on the ship giving him much heed or notice as his temperament and personality was so unnerving. That is until he drew that splendid representation of the wyverns that had followed the ship for a league or two soon after they had set out.

The remaining eight passengers and the three mercenaries brought over from their earlier ship, Fen’s Revenge, had all died during the crash. Yens had been surprised when he learned about this a few hours after the dinosaur attack. I guess I thought there would be more survivors.

So in all, only nine of the original twenty-four had made it to the Isle of Dread, and according to Urol they now had to cross an island full of terrible monsters to get to Farshore. None of them will survive he thought as he looked about at the ragtag group sleeping around him.

A shadow passed near the camp, but he took no notice, lost in his thoughts.

“Its time” said the Klem who was sitting opposite him at the fire.

“Sure. I’ll wake him.”

Yens woke Cyrus. The azurian needed only a few hours sleep a night, so he typically took the remaining watches along with Klem who needed no sleep. As Yens slipped into his bedroll, he thought he heard a twig snap, but again, paid it no head.

His dreams were surprising pleasant. He dreamed of the escape from Le Sanguin Enfant. He had been forced to man the rotting and filthy crow’s nest. The other Reavers had begun to suspect his less than genuine participation in their ways. He was too sane, too careful, and overcompensated with a feigned ferocity in battle: he slew his opponents too quickly and he didn’t savor his kills. Of course, he was aware of their suspicions and had taken to tasks where he could be alone and would be remote from those who suspected. From his rickety perch, he saw the approach of Lyrander warship; he nearly called out in foul Reaver pigeon to alert his “mates,” but checked himself at the last second.

Now is the opportunity for which I have been waiting. With makeshift signal flags he was able to discreetly signal the approaching vessel, now plainly id’ed as the “Solar Surprise.” In the semaphore of the Lyrander fleet he communicated: Reavers. I ally. Ready hands on deck.

At the last minute, just before those on deck would notice anyway, he announced the approach of the Surprise. As the Reavers squabbled, flew into frenzied action, and prepared to set Hell loose, Yens secretly cut four secure cables from the supports for the foresail and topsail.

Then as the two vessels neared, he carefully walked the three-inch wide topspar in the direction opposite of the Surprise, to get to a spot where he could gain momentum. Just as the Surprise and Enfant were positioning for a broadside, Yens leapt out over the element. With a jerk, he swung down through the throng of Reavers on his bundle of cable, careful not to get snagged or hung up as he passed through. He had guessed the length of the slack coiled around him just right, so that as he twisted in midair he unwound himself and landed with a thud on the deck of the Surprise.

Kaboom! Came the blast as the two ships’ heavy bombards traded splinters.

With his desperate hands tightly hanging onto his cables he was dragged painfully across the Surprise’s deck as the ships continued their slow relative course. Suddenly, he felt his cordage slacken. His heart sank as he thought he was cut free and that his plan would fail. Then he was next to Erus Lyrander, who had sailed with him briefly on the Liberator before being transferred to another ship.

The half-elf sailor had noticed Yens’ signals but knew not what to make of it. However, when he saw Yens land on the Surprise he new plainly enough what Yens was up to. Before Yens could be dragged to the Devil, he had grabbed hold of Yens’ bundle, calling to the ten other sailors on deck to get hold and heave. Then they began to pay the lines into the huge blocks on the larboard side…

Before she could fire another set of broadsides, Le Sanguine Enfant was heeling over so dramatically that the gunners could only shoot right into the deep blue sea. In short order, the Surprise had the deck of the Reaver vessel cleared of personnel with grapeshot bombard and ballista. After boarding, the marines only took two more minutes to dispatch the rest of Reavers, who of course fought to the bitter end. During the rest of the battle, Yens, under the cautious swordpoint of two Lyrander guards, sat grinning from ear to ear. As far as he was concerned he had done it; by his actions he had brought down the fearsome and terrible Le Sanguin Enfant… and it had only taken him three years.

Suddenly, he was awake. Falling, he landed with a thud and a roll. Instantly he transformed his countenance. His face took on a lupine appearance and his legs seemed to extend a few inches. Using what little momentum he had left from his fall, he rolled to his feet and drew a knife.

Three large carnivorous birds had waded into camp. Klem was pounding at one with his hammer while he held Cyrus up with one arm. The azurian was flailing about with his good arm trying to contact the bird with his electrified touch, his other arm hung limply, nearly severed at the shoulder.

“Terror Birds… Uh…” moaned a delirious Urol, fastly held in the jaws of the central bird. The third bird, the one that had thrown him from his bedroll, was being harassed by Kira in predator form and Amella with her rapier.

Then Yens saw a ghost.

She had crept out of the undergrowth and snuck up behind the lead bird to stab it with her rapier. It died instantly and Urol rolled free. The other two birds wasted no time, with their flock leader dead, they fled into the forest with all the haste of predator turned prey.

Yens stood there with his mouth hung open. Cyrus sidled up to him as they watched Rowyn Kelani clean and sheath her rapier.

“But we killed her, didn’t we?” the Good Incarnate asked.

Last edited:

Arabesu

Thank you El-Remmen for the kind words.

I'm just having trouble finding the time to write much lately, with trying to chase after my toddler and keep up with work.

Since I now know that at least a few people liked this, I'll try to pick it back up in the next few days...

Arabesu

“I will kill her.”

“No” Kira* replied to Yens’ demand, “we need a scout. As much as my avian form permits an opportune vantage, there are times that a subtler approach is necessary.”

“But she killed Fen,*” injected Cyrus, “and I don’t trust her. She is evil. I can sense it.” Cyrus had used his detect evil divination to scan her and had found that not only had she killed one of their own in a previous encounter, but she was irrevocably and incontrovertibly corrupt.

Tsuan contributed to the discussion, “She did save Urol and has promised not to betray us while she travels with us. If she hadn’t aided us and vowed not to turn against us, I would have to agree with Yens and Cyrus. Also, while she is with us, we may be able to squeeze more information about Vanthus from her.”

“Wait. Have you forgotten that she admitted that she had tried to sabotage the trip here with that mephit in a jar and by disabling the swing? You nearly drowned, Kira. You can’t seriously be considering her offer?” Yens protested.

“Yens, consider all of the times you have been caught off guard whilst scouting, searching and disabling traps and then WHAM something steps out of the dark to slam you to the stone. Can you honestly say that you wouldn’t rather have her at the front and in jeopardy?” Kira asked. “You know, she’ll probably be killed anyway,” looking over at the terror bird roasting on the fire “the monsters here are viscous. Of course we can’t trust her, but we don’t have to, we only have to make sure that she stays at the front. When we get to Farshore then we will have a tough choice. Until then, I say we use her.”

Yens unsheathed his rapier a few inches and shoved it back in his scabbard, repeating the nervous gesture several times while brooding on Kira’s logic.

“Fine. I still think it’s a bad idea. Cyrus, what say you?”

“I will not condone killing her in cold blood, but if she strays and demonstrates that she has betrayed us…” Cyrus lets the possibility hang.

Later…

Snick. Snack. Snick. Snick.

Yens and Rowyn hacked parallel paths through the jungle with their cutlasses, several paces apart. Yens watched her carefully. The weapon at her hip was new. He had taken her previous rapier when they had killed her. They were forging through a patch of jungle promising to take them up to what appeared to be a small hill. From there they hoped to get a better estimation from Urol as to exactly where they were on the island.

Snick. Snick. Snack.

In the droning of their machinations, Yens daydreamed, recalling the death of Fens at the hand of the foul wench beside him…

Quietly they crept through the underground hideout of the Lotus Dragons. After having distracted and bluffed the taxidermist occupying the house above, Yens and his companions were infiltrating the Thieves’ guild headquarters. Specifically, they were looking to capture Levinia’s brother Vanthus Vanderborn, for he was suspected of setting the fire that killed his parents and subsequently robbing the family vaults.

All was going as planned until they disturbed a whorg set in place to alarm the guild of the presence of intruders. After silencing the beast with steel and spell, they rushed from room to room looking for evidence of Vanthus. Occasionally stumbling upon one or two thieves in various states of preparations, they urgently fled into the heart of the complex. Another room revealed a terrible spider creature that nearly killed them, a ragodessa similar to the one they fought back when they first started working for Levinia. Ultimately, thanks to Cyrus’s determination and Tsuan’s blistering spells they were able to best it.

Finally they found the rooms they had hoped for with a message for Vanthus, “Fix this now!” and several more Lotus Dragons who lasted little time. Then, Yen’s friend and colleague Fen Corday, a midget aventi pugilist, opened a door he shouldn’t have.

Rowyn was waiting for him there, steel drawn. She and Fen traded attacks: Setting Sun and Stone Dragon Jujitsu versus her magical rapier. Neither had the upper hand until Rowyn stepped back into the room and with one finger taunted Fen to follow. Yens saw it occur in slow motion. He guessed what she was up to but before he could warn his friend the treachery unfolded. Rowyn’s pet shocker lizard hiding behind the door electrocuted Fen just as he stepped into the room. With his bones revealed and his attention distracted, Rowyn casually slipped her poisoned blade right through his heart; he was dead by the time she pulled her blade free. Cyrus and Yens charged into the room in a vengeful frenzy and in moments she too was slain.

* - The irony here is that Kira is the replacement character for Fen. Thus, a great example of why Kira's player is such a good role-player. He was arguing to protect an NPC that had killed his previous character because it is the wise thing to do and that is what the wise and logical Kira would do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases