D&D 4E Ok to have an opinion about 4E?

gizmo33

First Post
It seems like in a lot of the threads I read someone at sometime chimes in with a "we don't really know anything about 4E yet because they haven't published it so your point is invalid". I can see, in theory, that basing your opinion only on what's been released so far would be risky. But it seems like this "you don't know everything" objection is used for any opinion however loosely dependant on the reality of what 4E will be.

"If 4E has a picture of a ninja turtle on the front cover I will be unhappy" ought to speak for itself, and ought to be comprehensible regardless of what 4E artwork winds up looking like, but for some reason it's not to some people. And if a WotC designer writes a web article saying "I really like ninja turtles and it would be cool to use them for our cover art" then I would think the point would be even more pertinent.

Also, I have yet to see the "we don't have the published 4E rules" argument used to object to a statement in support of 4E, it seems to be exclusively used as a counter for someone complaining about a proposed new feature of 4E. And that one-sidedness doesn't make any logical sense to me.

First of all, the point of a message board is to discuss ideas. Most of these threads AFAICT are people expressing what they would like to see in an RPG. The "we haven't seen 4E yet" objection usually strikes me as being somewhat beside the point - which is mainly about what the person thinks of a particular feature of an RPG (like the "sweet spot" issue for levels or a dislike of ninja turtles).

Secondly, the point of the "behind the scenes" and preview type articles from WotC are to express a coherent idea. What is the point of publishing such an article if you can't make a coherent point in response to it? What are the designers really communicating to us if the "you haven't seen the final rules yet" argument trumps all debate? Again, this argument just seems like a tactic because you would think that it would logically apply to every thread and any opinion about 4E. (Except maybe "I trust the 4E designers to produce a great game" or variations of that.)

In closing, I would like to add that I've removed a sentence from this post that completely changes the meaning and adds a significance to what I've written that will blow your mind. Because of this, anyone who disagrees with me has no basis to do so because they haven't seen my full post. Trust me, if you saw the full version you would think it was great.

MisterWhodat

First Post
gizmo33 said:
In closing, I would like to add that I've removed a sentence from this post that completely changes the meaning and adds a significance to what I've written that will blow your mind. Because of this, anyone who disagrees with me has no basis to do so because they haven't seen my full post. Trust me, if you saw the full version you would think it was great.

Nice

Shade

Monster Junkie
I see no reason not to voice objections to the trickle of information that has leaked out. Even if your comment ends up being "wrong" once more information is known, at least your opinion is heard.

Sadly, I've seen time and time again that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If you want to keep the grease you like in the game, keep on turning that squeaky wheel.

It's better to voice concerns now, while they still might have a chance of making a difference, than wait until the whole thing is released and it's too late (short of the much-dreaded errata and updates).

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Nope, you cannot have an opinion about 4e until the book is released. That's what people kept telling my about the Book of Vile Darkness, which even after the book was released and I saw it I still knew it was crap.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Shade said:
Sadly, I've seen time and time again that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If you want to keep the grease you like in the game, keep on turning that squeaky wheel.

It's better to voice concerns now, while they still might have a chance of making a difference, than wait until the whole thing is released and it's too late (short of the much-dreaded errata and updates).

Actually, I am seriously hoping that between some WotC employees reading here and some 4E playtesters reading here, that some of the "math error" type issues are double checked.

For example, if skills totals = 1/2 level + bonuses, and defenses = 10 + 1/level + bonuses, I hope there are no ways to compare a skill with a defense in the game since the 1/2 level and 1/level math are totally incompatible. Something that mathematically works at level 1 will mathematically fail at level 30.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
gizmo33 said:
It seems like in a lot of the threads I read someone at sometime chimes in with a "we don't really know anything about 4E yet because they haven't published it so your point is invalid". I can see, in theory, that basing your opinion only on what's been released so far would be risky.
I'm sorry to say that you personally are prohibited from having an opinion on 4e, because...
gizmo33 said:
In closing, I would like to add that I've removed a sentence from this post that completely changes the meaning and adds a significance to what I've written that will blow your mind.
... of incorrect application of a subjunctive.

Cheers, -- N

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Posts potentially inflammatory comments about the original posters lack of ability to understand their own topic. Never returns back to the thread.

gizmo33 said:
First of all, the point of a message board is to discuss ideas.
Ah hA! I have found ze problem4!

EDIT: No disrespect to the OP. This seemed like a meta-thread.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
gizmo33 said:
It seems like in a lot of the threads I read someone at sometime chimes in with a "we don't really know anything about 4E yet because they haven't published it so your point is invalid". I can see, in theory, that basing your opinion only on what's been released so far would be risky. But it seems like this "you don't know everything" objection is used for any opinion however loosely dependant on the reality of what 4E will be.

I'm not sure I've seen it quite as bad as that.... Mostly I've seen the argument made when someone outright says 4e is crap or 4e is ruining the game... How can that be said when we don't know all that much about it...

I think it's fine to comment either way on the specifics we've seen so far. If you think what we know so far is bad, then that's a valid opinion. I wouldn't agree with it, but I wouldn't say your opinion is "wrong..."

I've seen a few discussions here were people make valid statements against the changes... It's just the ones that fly into 4e is the end of D&D that make the "hold your horses please" comments come out...

Also, I have yet to see the "we don't have the published 4E rules" argument used to object to a statement in support of 4E, it seems to be exclusively used as a counter for someone complaining about a proposed new feature of 4E. And that one-sidedness doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Hrmmm... I have... Usually witht he opposite type comments... the people who start saying how uberawesome in a box 4e will be and they can't wait to end the 3e campaign tomorrow to get ready for it... Huh?

I agree with you in part, however, that discuission about merrits and possible flaws of the system is always a good thing. Just keep it rational.

Darn... post defeated. ;)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I think anyone can have an opinion about 4E - they should be aware however that at this point the opinion probably says more about them than it does 4E.

This is seperate from having an opinion on individual issues or topics that pop up within the greater framework of 4E info coming out...

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I don't think we need to see the actual finished product before forming an opinion. I got into D&D based on nothing more than looking over my mom's old character sheets; without even knowing the rules or seeing any real art, I wanted to play the game.

In the case of the 4th edition previews, if they can't be used to form an opinion on the game, they're really just a waste of time. The previews helped get me into 3rd edition; I went from wanting nothing to do with the game to being interested enough by the previews to buy the Player's Handbook to thinking 3rd edition was the best thing since sliced bread. The 4th edition previews aren't having the same effect on me, but they're still allowing me to get a feel for where the game's going. And those previews will be a big part of my decision to buy or skip the edition, since I'm not about to lay $90 down for three core books that I might not even like, nor am I going to sit in a book store and read 900+ pages of material to get a feel for whether I like the system.

To make a possibly faulty analogy, I like to watch a trailer before I decide to see a movie. I like to play a demo before buying a video game, and I like to skim through a chapter or two before I buy a book. My opinion may change when I see the final product, but until then, those previews are there specifically to help me form an opinion.

Remove ads