What is your favorite winter comfort food?

Chaldfont

First Post
It's finally starting to act like October here in Indiana (instead of late May!) and the thought of hearty winter comfort food is making me hungry.

For me, I think its a toss-up between chili and our beef and noodles recipe cobbled together between my Mom's and my Mother-in-law's recipes.

bento

Explorer
Irish Coffee!

Oh, I thought we're still talking about favorite drinks. :heh:

One cold weather dish I like is Pumpkin Chili, where you cook chili, corn & other fall veggies inside a cleaned out pumpkin in the oven. When you scoop out the chili you also scrape a little pumpkin as well, then garnish with sour cream.

Arkham

First Post
Chicken-fried steak with mashies, and/or split-pea soup. But those are pretty much my year-round comfort food.

Wombat

First Post
Two different things for two different occassions ...

For breakfast in the morning, give me good, real oatmeal. Not the instant glop, the real thing. Maybe some raisins or currants in it, a bit of honey or brown sugar. Yum.

And for dealing with a long, cold night, but with friends around, give me mulled red wine. :)

Chaldfont

First Post
bento said:
Irish Coffee!

Oh, I thought we're still talking about favorite drinks. :heh:

One cold weather dish I like is Pumpkin Chili, where you cook chili, corn & other fall veggies inside a cleaned out pumpkin in the oven. When you scoop out the chili you also scrape a little pumpkin as well, then garnish with sour cream.

That sounds awesome! Can you post a recipe?

Pyrex

First Post
We've done beef stew in a pumpkin, but I haven't tried chili yet. Hmm...

Chaldfront: The key ingredient is the right kind of pumpkin. You want a bowling-ball size Sugar Pie Pumpkin; not the $0.06/pound jack-o-lantern pumpkins. :)

Baron Opal

First Post
Any kind of thick soup or stew is great. I've taken to a green chili that m wife makes from pork and anahaim and poblano peppers. Warms you two ways.

Hmm... it been a while since she's made that. I'll have to see what I can do to facillitate some cookery...

Remove ads