Planescape 3.5e - Cold Black Mask

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Heinrich's face lights up warmly as Hagen appears, momentarily ignoring the Diabolate. "Thanks be that we have found you Hagen, you had worried us all." With a moment of thought he adds "Yes, perhaps a drink would do us well, and we certainly should speak, there must be some tale behind your travel."

Cage-Rattler

First Post
Hagen gratefully clasped Sindr's offered shoulder and cast a wary look over his shoulder, back toward the two Temple devotees. "Aye, the sooner we quit this place, the better," he murmured. As they turned to leave, the diablolate and matron both gave a short bow -- a wry smile on his lips, her face expressionless.

The group re-emerged on the streets of the City, collectively breathing easier now that they were free of the temple's oppressive atmosphere. The sky was beginning to dim in the first stages of twilight, although there was no sunset; indeed, there didn't seem to exist a sun at all in this place. Along the streets of the ward, bright street-lamps -- some glowing with a soft magical light, others more mundane -- illuminated the thoroughfares at regular intervals. High up in the sky, the dark arching band representing the far side of Sigil was randomly peppered with twinkling lights. It was a far cry from the gem-studded night sky over Cormyr.

Anthony Orchidaceae:[sblock]The Fortune's Wheel tavern is directly across the way and an at-hand choice if you don't want to walk far; it's one of those establishments where the rich-and-powerful go when they want to show off their wealth amongst their peers, and the prices reflect that. One other benefit of the Wheel is that it's connected directly to the Azure Iris inn, which can be handy if you don't want to spent time looking for a place to set up kip. Again, though, the price is pretty exorbitant.

There's also the Twelve Factols tavern, something of a landmark and a tourist destination for rich out-of-towners. It can get a little rowdy, though, with all Ysgardian bloods drinking themselves silly.

The Golden Bariaur sits close to the Armory and is known for its "celestial" atmosphere. Popular with the more refined bloods (as well as the occasional aasimon) of the ward, it offers soothing music and heavenly dishes.

If you're looking for establishments which are less extravagant in their accomodations (and prices), you'd probably be better served in the Lower Ward -- which holds most of the city's taverns and ale houses -- or the the Clerk's Ward, which holds most of Sigil's inns.

Also, if walking seems like a chore, Sigil offers a number of transportation options; sedan chair services are available in every ward except the Hive, and the Clerk's Ward-based Tea Street Transit rents out cabs pulled by Arcadian ponies to every ward -- except the Hive. One transport service that does provide routes to the Hive is Nittman's Aerial Tours, located in the Market/Guildhall Wards. An air genasi by the name of Jarir al-Bassam recently started a competing business here in the Lady's Ward featuring flying wooden horses.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dire Lemming

First Post
Once they exit the temple Anthony crouches down to check his boots.

[sblock=Intvan]Anthony whispers in your ear while retying has boot laces. "Oi, little cutter, ye seem like the canny one o' the lot so I'm warnin ya, there's no tellin what those fiend worshipers mighta done to yer friend while they had their mits on 'im. If I were you I'd take 'im to a priest of one o' the celestial powers. You can usually trust em not to make it worse."[/sblock]

After retying both his laces Anthony stands again and glances up at the sky. "Well, it's gettin' late in't it? I can take ya to a good inn in the Clerk's Ward with fair prices, or I could take ya to the Azure Iris, here, if you twig to the idea o' spendin' all yer jink in one place."

He really ought to drop these primes off somewhere safe soon. He couldn't bring them with him to meet Dinah.

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Anthony]Istvan listens to the fair tout and then whispers a reply without turning to look at the aasimar. "First things first, I want to make sure this is our friend before we go much further. And then I want to lose anyone they send to follow us. I'll split up from you guys in a bit, then you lead this bunch on a roundabout way back the way we came towards the Marketplace. I'll catch up with you."

OOC: BTW, the Clerk's Ward is clear across the torus, a roughly ten mile trip; and some of these bashers are only moving at a speed of 20 to boot. :\ [/sblock]István falls into step with Hagen. In a cordial tone of voice, he asks of the larger man: "Hagen, you remember what you said to me the first time we met?"[sblock=Cage-Rattler]I'm going to propose that the first time István and Hagen met was after the gnome had used an ancient Netherese portal to cross the Sea of Fallen Stars and landed in Cormyr near where Hagen happened to be. Lost in an unfamiliar land and unable to speak the local language, Hagen was the first person István met who could speak Gnomish. To István he said: "You appear to be the proverbial 'Stranger in a strange land'.[/sblock]

Cage-Rattler

First Post
István said:
"Hagen, you remember what you said to me the first time we met?"
The archivist's smile held a touch of irony. "Ai êressê egla lii ai dorâtho. I suppose the phrase suits us now; we are all strangers to this land." He paused, then directed his next statement to the unfamiliar faces around him.
"I seem to have forgotten myself; I am Hagen Vanuz, an archivist with the Royal Cormyrian Library of Marsember. I want to offer my thanks for guiding my friends through this curious city of yours." He nodded in turn to Anthony, Cang, and Pierce (hesitating for a split second as he took in the spiker's rather intimidating form).

István:[sblock]ooc: The above phrase translating to "A lone foreigner to a distant land," according to the gnomish "dictionary" here.[/sblock]

Anthony Orchidaceae:[sblock]If travelling long distances quickly is a concern, Jarir and his magical wooden horses might be a good bet. Anthony might even be able to haggle the genasi into giving them a break on the price, since Jarir's enterprise is so new.[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
Anthony starts leading the group to where Jarir's aerial transport service is located. "I don' quite trust those Baatezu worshippin' bashers. At least the Tannar'ii are pretty clear about what the want, but the Baatezu love keepin' things dark. So just in case, we're goin ta take a bit of a ride."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"I'm glad the matter was resolved so quickly. That is not always, or even often, the case here in Sigil," Pierce comments to Sindr quietly. Things rarely go this smooth... Or she could just be paranoid.

Ambrus

Explorer
Satisfied with Hagen's response, and thankful to have his friend back, István offers the human a heartfelt "Ava".[sblock=Cage-Ratler]Kudos on the gnomish dictionary; it's awesome. I've been using a mixture of Hungarian and Romani to represent gnomish thus far since I wanted him to have a gypsy-esque feel to him. "Ava" simply means "yes".

István is happy his friend is back, and wants to hear his story, but his first concern is making certain that the group isn't being followed by anyone. To that end, he'll slowly fall back towards the rear of the group and, at an opportune moment, dart off to the side to hide somewhere. Anthony already knows to expect this.

The whisper gnome will then use his Hide and Move Silently abilities to remain concealed and his Up the Walls feat, his phenomenal speed and his Jump skill to reach the rooftops in mere seconds. From that vantage point, he'll use his Spot and Listen skills to keep an eye on the Temple they just left and the surrounding area to see if anyone else comes out. Shortly thereafter István himself will trail the party stealthily along the rooftops for awhile until he's satisfied that they're not being observed by anyone else. He'll then rejoin the party. That's the plan at least. :heh:

Let me know if you need any clarifications on my intended actions. With his Up the Walls feat István can, if starting at the base of a wall, take a run action and reach the top of a 280-ft. wall in a single round or, in turn, return to street level just as fast. By taking 10 with a twenty foot running start, he can safely clear a gap of up to 40-ft. by leaping; enough to cross most Sigil streets I'd imagine.
[/sblock]

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Heinrich too seems thankful to have his old friend back. "Tell me, friend, what was that mask they spoke of, and do you know why they were so interested in it?"

[sblock=Cage Rattler]
Remind me to prep a detect evil tomorrow just in case.
[/sblock]

Remove ads