CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

frostrune

First Post
Fenris said:
"I think we all will" replies Jovik tucking the dagger into his belt for later examination and gathering up the few possesion of Erylium.

"You know Jokad the girls back in town are prettier and more willing to give you a hug than this thing was, better stick to your axe." teases Jovik.

"Swinging an axe isn't the only thing I can do well and unlike the rest of you, I don't plan on sleeping well tonight," he throws a sly wink at Jovik.

"Let's be done with this foul business and get back to town. I need a breath of fresh air and an ale or three to wash the foulness of this place from my palatte. Oh yeah... and maybe a bath!" He holds out his gore splashed and blood caked arms and laughs gustily at the absurdity of that last statement.

hewligan

First Post
The Return To Daylight

The Stench of Death

It is difficult to disguise your mood, a mix of elation, exhaustion, and disgust. It has been a difficult day. A day of slaughter, and horrors. The sights of the Glassworks, the men, tortured and disfigured by the goblins, are still fresh in your minds. The melted statue that Kaijitsu Senior had become, the blooded, hollow eyes filled with opaque glass. As you rise out of the Catacombs, you can see that the Glassworks are crawling with activity. Town guards stand vigilant at every entrance. The windows are in the process of being boarded over. People, their faces down-cast, move amongst the carnage, removing corpses, chisel blow by chisel blow.

At your appearance there is a burst of activity. Relief is evident, tinged with excitement. A few younger guards crowd around you, leaving their horrific work.

"What did you find?"
"Is it true that there is a link to the hells below?"
"Nah, it is goblins, right? An entire army of them! I heard they are getting ready to attack the town. What have we done to deserve this?"

They pull back, seeing the exhaustion in your eyes, but also seeing the bundled corpse and hideous head that you carry.

"By Desna, that ain't no goblin, for sure!" one utters.

Who would want to be Mayor?

Kendra Deverin paces her office. She has heard your story, has nodded her head in silence at each gory point you raised.

"Hemlock will be back in a few days. Lets wait for him. It is pretty obvious that the goblins plan to attack us here en-masse. The journal you recovered from Tsuto makes that pretty clear. It would seem that we have two ways of dealing with things. We can either sit tight, get our defences up, and try to repel them when they come. Or, we can try and find some brave, and perhaps slightly insane, people who can take the fight to them. Either way, we need Hemlock and his troops in town."

She opens a large bottle of local whisky, a grain variety, potent and aromatic. She pours six stiff glasses of the stuff and passes them round, taking one herself. It is strange to see her drawing deep on the spirit, but when you follow suit the warmth it sends through your joints is welcome, and the slight numbing of your brain is even more welcome.

She coughs as the spirit sears her throat.

"Word is out. It is everywhere already. The men, the guards, they are good, but they are family men, and they have never had to witness such a procession of horrors ... well, not since the Late Unpleasantness...

You will find that people are bound to ask you a thousand questions. Try and not stir things up. We need you guys more now than ever. Heck, if it weren't for you five we would probably be days from attack and not even know it. I am incredibly grateful for what you have done. I just need you to keep doing it. Stay visible. Stay strong. We could be attacked at any time.

Now go, have a day off. Ha! I hope you can have a day off. Who knows? Who knows? I will see you the morning after next. Hemlock is due back then, and I think it would be best if you were there to update him in person!"

Cold Ale and Quiet Discussion

You head for The White Deer. You need a rest, and while The Rusty Dragon is as good an inn as any, you are guessing that Ameiko has probably closed it for a few days, what with the death of her father and brother, and her own imprisonment. You can always visit her later, but for now you need to rest.

The White Deer was a good choice. Garridan immediately clears you a private room, away from the noise. The inn is packed. It seems that everyone is out today, seeking communion in these times of trouble. People see you as you are guided through the throngs to the back room, and they fall silent. A few nod their heads at you in respect. A couple quietly raise their glasses. But there is respect here, and it seems that the people know that now is not the time to bother you.

"I will get my daughter to serve you. Any food, any drink, it is on the house. You just need to ask."

Warm steak pies and ice cold ale ... life feels better already.

After a period of quiet has passed, Mandraiv gets out the little journal you found on Tsuto. Now seems as good a time as any to investigate it.

OOC: I refer you back to posts 271 and 297. The journal seems to reference some form of impending goblin assault, and the woman in charge of the whole thing appears to be Nulia. Some god soul has posted their own PDF version of the above, including some of the notes that are scribbled in the margins. I recommend you read this: tsuto's journal PDF

It looks like a trip up to Thistlepoint may be in order, but not now, not just yet! The goblins might attack, but surely not while you are having an ale! Not tonight!

hewligan

First Post
OOC: Please post whatever you fancy doing during this evening. Mandraiv will leave shortly after he has dinner with you and will return to his abode. I want to remind you that the Cathedral is making a couple of healing potions for you, so that may be a good place to visit tomorrow. Mandraiv is now officially retired as a character. Any further involvement will be as a useful NPC local resource. He will leave the journal with Danth.

Friadoc

Explorer
"This town is going to need us for a time, I feel," says Kael to his companions with a nod before taking a pull from his pint. "Although I am sure we are all of like mind on this, it should be said aloud...I feel we should stay until we can return them to their peaceful minds, don't you agree?"

As he speaks, Kael shares a meat pie with Mal, setting it upon the floor for the familiar.

Rhun

First Post
Danth Brinfield, Favored of Sarenae

Danth eats a meatpie and sips at his ale as he rereads the notes in the journal that Mandraiv has passed to him. At Kael's words, the flame-haired priest looks up to regard his companions. "Certainly the townsfolk need us. But I think that, once Hemlock and his men return, that we should leave the defense of Sandpointe to them, and we should move to take the attack to our foe."

Danth takes another swig of ale. "I am not thirsty for more battle, but it is our duty to protect these people. And if we can catch our enemy off guard, while they are unprepared, it might be that we can inflict considerable damage upon them. Indeed, if our efforts are successful enough, it might be that we can keep them from assaulting the town at all."

frostrune

First Post
"Such talk of doom and death can wait for another day," Jokad says with a dimissive sweep of his arm. "Tonight we live. Tonight we have won. The tunnels are clear. The goblins don't even know we rooted out their spies yet. Let us enjoy this night as a well earned reward. The goblins can wait for tomorrow."

With that he raises his mug and chugs until it is gone.

"Amryl!", he shouts (surprising you that he knows the name of Garridan's comely daughter), "I'll need another mug of your Father's finest and another plate of whatever you're cooking."
More quietly he continues so that only she and the rest of you can hear, "... and maybe some happier company <he smiles directly at her>? This dour bunch would make a dwarven funeral dirge seem like a bawdy tavern tune."

Rhun

First Post
Danth smiles handsomly, and nods at Jokad's words. "Fine, fine, my bawdy friend. Let us enjoy this night." The cleric closes the journal, and downs the remnants of his ale in one long quaff. "Another ale for me as well!" he calls.

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik sits quietly in the corner, his chair tilted back, feet on the table. He is tossing Erylrium's dagger absently in the air with one hand while drinking his ale with the other, occaisonally switching hands.

"I agree, once Hemlock gets back we need to take the fight to the goblins, slow down the attack at least to let the people here put up better defenses, or let reinforcements arrive, if any get sent."

"Which I doubt" replies Jovik bitterly after a hearty swig.

With a sudden crash, his chair legs hit the ground. "I need some fresh air. See you guys in the morning." And Jovik heads out by a backdoor into the night.

[sblock=Hewligan]
Jovik heads out into the cool night. This had always been his time, the time, the time that obscured his activities, the time when he found freedom. Now though, the events of the last few days had sullied the night. Jovik walks a bit looking up at the stars enjoying the cool evening breeze, relishing the quiet. The last few days had been harder on the young man than he had let on. In the heat of battle, it was kill or be killed, and instinct took over. Joivk had always trusted his instincts. He was proud of the gfact that he had not only lived but been of such an asset in battle as to draw the praise of a Shoanti warrior. Still though, this was far beyond stealing a few apples or even hiding cash from the town guards. This was life and death. Not only that now he was the one with responsibility, he was the one who had to protect the village, and his home, his family. He had always run from responsibility and here it had crept up on him. He didn't want it, but yet wouldn't run from it. Too much of his grandfather most likely. Still he hated it, and hated the goblins for forcing it on him.

As he wandered in the evening, he came to think about the goblins. He never thought about goblins when he was about in the dark before, ignorance was bliss. Now that he knew the goblins were about, he wasn't afraid, he almost wished they would show up. He came across Farmer Kulian's fence. For old time's sake he hopped the fence and picked a few apples, until the dogs started barking. Jovik made his way back into the village proper eating his small prize, a salve almost to his soul to have stolen something. Not knowing where his feet were going Joivk avoided the main streets. No one was really about, they weren't out late with the goblins around.

Jovik found himself suddenly standing in front of his house. He hadn't planned on coming here, but since he didn't know where he was going, his feet fell bac to old habits. He sat down on a rock watching as he finished the last of the apples. He sighs, stands and heads to the door and quietly knocks. As if he didn't even live there anymore. Actually he didn't he remembered with a small smile. His mother tenitively cracked open the door and when she saw Jovik embraced him in a crushing hug the simultaneously dragged him in. He was ready for the hug this time, and as she hugged and cried Jovik quietly slipped several gold coins into her pocket so well Mom didn't even know. Mom was crying and saying how she feared every knock would be the constables bringin word of his death and how she was glad to know he was alive een though she had heard we all come back, she didn't believe it, ut know she had seen him and on and on. He commotion drew the rest of the family. His brother came in and started ribbing the 'family's new warrior' and asking hundreds of questions. Then Father walked into the room and silence fell like the sea fog. A heartbeat or a hundred went by. Then Father said, "Why don't you stay for a drink?"

Jovik, braced for the worst, smiled just slightly at this enourmous gesture on his father's part. "Sure, for a bit" he replied. Instantly his mother was a whirlwind of activity brewing tea and finding some small cakes as the men sat by the fire. Father didn't say anything else and Jovik was forced to related a bit of the events of the last few days, though it was glossed over in many areas keeping the Mayor's request in mind. After a bit though Jovik stood and said "I need to get going, I've had a long day" and despite his mother's protests headed towrds the door. He stopped as he stood there and turned to his father. "I've followed you instuctions so far" he says recalling his father's plead to not get himself killed. "I think Gramps would be glad to know" he says patting his belt where Goblin Hook was. A secret, Joivk had kept so many from his father and now he shared one with him.
With that Jovik stepped out and closed the door before his mother could get ahold of him again.

Back in the cool night air, Jovik walked a bit more until he came to the Hagfish. It was a bit less merry than after the first Goblin fight, but still he had many mates there and they know knew him not only as Jovik, but as a local hero. Someone was always ready to buy him a beer that evening and he even won a little at cards. He awoke the next morning in one of the room, Jesina, one of the barmaid whom he'd always had a crush on next to him, and a heck of a hang over. He stumbled out of the room and out into the morning sun. A sun he now almost hated, not only because it made it his head hurt, but it made the town brighter, and he saw more clearly the ravages of the goblins, the night concealed such blemishes. Sandpoint, the town he loathed and couldn't wait to leave a fortnight ago, now held some small value to him, even if it was childhood memories, and he hated to see it harmed.

OOC: Sorry Hew, I got carried away. Figured I make up for not posting so much of late with one big post. :D
[/sblock]

hewligan

First Post
LEVEL UP PLEASE.

All characters are now level 3. Please update your sheets. Congratulations!

EDIT: Jovik - very good post. I hope you didn't get that barmaid pregnant ;)

SECOND EDIT: I really need you all to update your characters to LEVEL 3 before I can move things on. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I've leveled Danth up, but I still need to pick a 3rd level feat. Other than that, he should be ready to go."

Remove ads