Help me price: bonus to rays/ranged touch/touch attacks ?

darthkilmor

First Post
Ok I have no idea where to guess for the price of this.. I want to introduce some gloves that give one of the following(not sure which, ordered in what i'd think is from least useful to most):
-Bonus to hit with rays.
-Bonus to hit with ranged touch attacks
-Bonus to hit with all touch attacks.

What would be the cost of something like this? use normal weapon bonus pricing? something less? something more ?

Darklone

Warlocks sceptre could give a hint...

I use something similar right now (bonus to hit with ranged touch attacks), I made it a feat though.

darthkilmor

First Post
Darklone said:
Warlocks sceptre could give a hint...

I use something similar right now (bonus to hit with ranged touch attacks), I made it a feat though.

What is a warlock sceptre?

And, you mean Weapon Focus(Ray) , or something better than that?

Darklone

darthkilmor said:
What is a warlock sceptre?

And, you mean Weapon Focus(Ray) , or something better than that?
A kinda Improved Weapon Focus.

Warlocks sceptre gives a bonus to hit with the eldritch blast IIRC.

Heroism spell a few times per day helps as well.

nittanytbone

First Post
I wouldn't give a HUGE discount.

For a ray-shooting wizard, finding gloves of Dex +4 are nearly as good as finding gloves of +2 to hit with Touch Attacks. For a rogue/wizard, finding something that boosts touch attacks is nearly as good as the others.

My suggestion would be to find a spell that has the desired effect and price it off of those guidelines. For example, the guiding light spell from SC grants +2 to hit targets in a 5' burst with ranged attacks.

MarkB

Legend
I came up with a concept awhile ago when I wanted to have a classic general-purpose wizard's wand, in the Harry Potter style: The Rod of Spell Striking.

The basic concept is that the rod is a wand-shaped object crafted of special materials, costing around 500 gp, to which you can then add enhancement bonuses using the same pricing system as adding enhancement bonuses to weapons. These bonuses then apply to the attack roll of any ranged-touch or melee-touch spell you cast while holding the rod, and also to your caster level check to beat an opponent's spell resistance (even when casting spells that don't require an attack roll).

I think the weapon enhancement bonus prices are balanced for an item of this type. You could even come up with some 'bonus-equivalent' special properties to add to it, in the style of weapon special properties.

EDIT: I also ruled that a spellcaster can use the wand to make the gestures of a spell with somatic components, as that seemed to fit its thematic role.

FEADIN

Explorer
Start with the price for magical weapons but reduced because it's specific, doesn't add to damage and may be the object will take a body slot ,on top of that, touch AC are rarely high, this kind of object isn't very useful.
I's far less useful than gloves of dexterity, no initiative bonus, dodge bonus to ac, reflex save bonus.....
1000gp/+1 with a +5 bonus mawimum or a bit higher but no more than 25000gp for a +5 bonus.

Remove ads