D&D 5E [+] Mulling over a homebrew 10th level Ranger feature, "Equalizer". Help!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
have mixed feelings about any "hey you have an animal buddy" feature for Ranger. On the one hand, I love the flavour of it of course, I love having an animal buddy. On the other... I don't know about rendering it an actual class or subclass feature. I think there have been admirable attempts, but. May be more trouble than it's worth in that regard. Might be leaning more towards, if you want an animal buddy, you can get one using the Sidekick rules in conjunction with Rangers having the innate ability to communicate with Beasts (or comparable creatures). Otherwise, Conjure Animals is still really good!
As for Defensive Tactics, I also have something somewhat similar to that! But it's just a single, scaling ability. At 6th level they get an ability similar to the Parry skill NPCs get, that lets them add their proficiency bonus to their AC for an enemy's turn. Kinda Shield Lite, but it does some other stuff.
Hunter's prey.

Auto correct turned pey to pet.

At my table all rangers get Hunters Prey at level 1.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Hunter's prey.

Auto correct turned pey to pet.

At my table all rangers get Hunters Prey at level 1.

Ahhh. That makes more sense.
Hunter's Prey is alriiight. I think it only ought to be a little bonus alongside their main ability, though. Those features are gonna look wanting before too long.

Last edited:

Remove ads