D&D 5E [+] Trying to settle on a list of "Core Ranger Spells". Gimme a hand!

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
But yes, while I might personally omit some of those, I'm trying to identify those sorts of spells from across the spell lists for 3rd, 4th, and 5th level.
coming back to this, first out of curiosity can i ask which of my list you'd ommit, and secondly what's your opinion on the ranger's daily casting access becoming wider rather than deeper? being able to pick more 1st and 2nd level spells to get free castings of rather than advancing into getting 3rd, 4th or 5th level ones.

Rocker26a

Explorer
coming back to this, first out of curiosity can i ask which of my list you'd ommit

Sure! But just to clarify, didn't mean like "you were wrong to include these", more just, they don't perfectly jive with the vague notion of Ranger I have in my head. They would be fine for someone else. But yeah, let me go through and try and explain why;

• Disguise Self: It's just not the sort of magic I'd associate with Rangers! Thematically or mechanically. It's the Arcane guys that like illusions. It's a bit odd to me that Rangers even get Silence (even though it's a good spell).
  • Speak With Animals, Wild Cunning: I personally much prefer Rangers (and Druids, and some Barbarians) being able to do these sorts of things innately rather than via spells. I feel like it ought to be the ones that aren't in tune with Nature that have to do this, they have to use magic to compete with the primal classes in those regards.
  • Animal Messenger: Similar to the last point, I dislike the idea of the nature classes enchanting animals. I prefer their connection being genuine! No manipulation!
  • Gentle Repose, Prayer of Healing, Protection From Poison: I'd consider these more distinctly the realm of the Divine casters.
I'm pretty sure those are the main offenders to me. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with those spells or even Rangers getting them, they just don't perfectly fit within my idea of the Ranger.

and secondly what's your opinion on the ranger's daily casting access becoming wider rather than deeper? being able to pick more 1st and 2nd level spells to get free castings of rather than advancing into getting 3rd, 4th or 5th level ones.

Hmmm... What, kind of like the Signature Spells feature Wizards get as their capstone, but earlier and limited to the early spells? Render them closer to cantrips? It's a fine idea, but... I wouldn't have that over easier access to bigger spells, I think. Big spells are just important.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Personally, I'd think that Speak With Animals, Animal Messenger, Animal Friend, Animal Growth, Beast Eyes, etc. would be spells that wouldn't be common to all rangers but more tuned to the one that takes an animal companion.

I'd also argue on Disguise Self - heck, Aragorn used the disguise of "Strider" in LotR.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Personally, I'd think that Speak With Animals, Animal Messenger, Animal Friend, Animal Growth, Beast Eyes, etc. would be spells that wouldn't be common to all rangers but more tuned to the one that takes an animal companion.

I disagree, but that's probably more down to different reads on the magic in question than anything else.

I'd also argue on Disguise Self - heck, Aragorn used the disguise of "Strider" in LotR.

I disagree, unlike PWT being a fitting way to express the journey to Amon Sul, I'd say Disguise Self is a poor way to express Aragorn being Strider in the Prancing Pony. It's more an act he puts on than anything else.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Ranger Subclass "bonus spell" lists:
The Beast Warden:
1st: Animal Friendship, Pass w/o Trace.
5th: Alter Self (basic partial druidic shapeshifting), Lesser Restoration
9th: Speak with Animals, Clairvoyance (through animal eyes only)
13th: Locate Creature, Freedom of Movement
17th: Dominate Beast, Polymorph (beast forms only)

The Wilderland Hunter:
1st: Hunter's Mark, Pass w/o Trace
5th: Cure Wounds, Longstrider
9th: Enhance Ability, Silence
13th: Locate Creature, Heal
17th: Commune w/ Nature, Find the Path

The Green Vanguard:
1st: Entangle, Pass w/o Trace
5th: Barkskin, Goodberry
9th: Plant Growth, Speak to Plants
13th: Meld into Stone, Blight
17th: Tree Stride, Wall of Stone

Horwath

Legend
pact magic spellcasting.

No V, S or M components
ALL spells available, if we have to have ranger with spells, then let's make them count.

Rocker26a

Explorer
pact magic spellcasting.

No V, S or M components
ALL spells available, if we have to have ranger with spells, then let's make them count.

While it's not the subject of this thread specifically, I will admit I am somewhat split on spell components as far as Ranger goes. If balance was no object, I feel like I probably would say "let Rangers have Subtle Spellcasting". But I'm unsure how to act on that in a way that isn't a massive breach.

Last edited:

Remove ads