D&D 4E 4E Playtesting

Skornn2k7

First Post
I am curious if anyone knows any playtesters, and how things are going. It seems like its sorta quiet for all the playtesting going on. I see like 2 or 3 posts but they are old news. I mean if they have a bunch of playtesting going on, shouldnt we see more news or stories of whats going on. I noticed that most of the stories are from people who are in like 2+ campaigns, so the same dozen or so people are telling the same stories just from diffrent characters. I would think that if they want to fully playtest it, they would get input from many diffrent people ??

Well if anyone knows some other playtesting stories please let me know, or email me please.

Thanks
Skornn

lrsach01

Explorer
Jeez...how hard is it to go into a library or university, create a new account on ENWorld, and post? Or just send a PM to somebody else who could post it? Or run through a half-dozen anonymisers and post?

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
lrsach01 said:
Jeez...how hard is it to go into a library or university, create a new account on ENWorld, and post? Or just send a PM to somebody else who could post it? Or run through a half-dozen anonymisers and post?
In other words, "How dare they actually follow the agreement they made with WotC, instead of breaking it in some sneaky way so they don't get caught"? :\

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that if someone showed up here with a new account, breaking their NDA to post about playtesting, the post would not stay up for long. There is little tolerance for posting about pirating PDFs and the like, I think they will take an equally dim view of playtest reports in violation of WotC's NDA.

HeinorNY

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that if someone showed up here with a new account, breaking their NDA to post about playtesting, the post would not stay up for long. There is little tolerance for posting about pirating PDFs and the like, I think they will take an equally dim view of playtest reports in violation of WotC's NDA.
I hope not. NDA rules are "law" only for the people involved.
WOTC can't sue me for releasing or divulging info about playtesting if I didn't sign a NDA. They can sue me arguing that I'm harming their business, but that's another case.
They could also politely ask Enworld to not endorse NDA breakers, and Enworld could politely agree in order to maintain good term between them, or maybe not.

LightPhoenix

First Post
The ultimate gauge of Law vs. Chaos! :)

I think that most people have a respect for the D&D team as well as the knowledge of how possibly (or definitely, since it's not in stone) inaccurate information can do damage to community relations, as well as to the playtesting program. Not to mention they have an ethical regard for the agreement that they signed. It makes me glad to not know, because it means the playtesters are serious about playtesting, and that means better feedback and improving the rules.

That said, I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened yet either.

Talath

Explorer
I want info on 4e as much as the next poster, but asking people to break their NDA is kind of inconsiderate, both to the playtester and to WotC. Besides, what they talk about may not be the final result, which can lead to some disaster if it is something people would not like. Some people are looking for something to dislike about 4e, and looking for a reason to display their dislike. At any rate, let's not pester the playtesters and just fantasize about how wonderful their lives must be, with wild sexy parties, alcohol, and awesome 4e games.

We're assuming that all playtesting groups are playing under identical versions of the rules - but we've seen from varying developer blogs that many things, such as certain talents and the role and importance of magic items, are still being toyed with in several different iterations by the designers. What if not all outside groups were given the same versions of these rule segments, such that certain groups were playtesting paragon level play with minimal reliance on magic items, and other groups were playtesting mainly heroic play with a more standard level of magic? What if the rules effects of several talents varied somewhat from group to group? Even easier still, as we know the playtesting groups have pre-written characters, what if each group was given specific, different builds of the same classes?

This would be fairly difficult from a logistical standpoint, but with the details of the rules apparently still in somewhat of a flux from week to week, it isn't really that unlikely.

So, if a group were to decide to break their NDA by anonymously leaking information, they would have no way of knowing that they weren't the only group with access to that specific iteration of the rules. It would then be a fairly trivial manner for Wizards to examine the leaked data and determine which group that iteration was sent to, leaving them able to press charges for contract infringement.

This all might seem a bit too elaborate, but if you were a playtester considering the likelihood of having to duke it out with Hasbro's lawyers over leaking some of 4e's Warlock powers, you probably wouldn't completely dismiss the idea.

Mercule

Adventurer
ainatan said:
I hope not. NDA rules are "law" only for the people involved.
WOTC can't sue me for releasing or divulging info about playtesting if I didn't sign a NDA. They can sue me arguing that I'm harming their business, but that's another case.
They could also politely ask Enworld to not endorse NDA breakers, and Enworld could politely agree in order to maintain good term between them, or maybe not.

I expect ENWorld would take it down post-haste. As the (AFAIK) premiere fan site for D&D, ENWorld gets some pretty regular visits from WotC staffers and we sometimes get little nuggets of goodness from them. Respecting WotC and the NDAs may not be a legal issue, but it most certainly is a relationship issue.

I don't think it's heavy-handed for WotC to expect support from Russ and company on NDA violations. In fact, I'd see it as an expected courtesy.

Note: That depends on the severity of the incursion. ENWorld is also a news site.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases