What do we know about Rogues?/Rogue love thread

bgaesop

First Post
Same idea as this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=213957

What do we know about Rogues? I know I can't be the only one here who likes to sneak around with their hoody over their head hiding their face from the town guard, fingering their shortsword while they snag a coinpurse or two from the unwary townsfolk. I also know a bunch of people who do that in DnD, too.

So what do we know about Rogues?

Striker: it's what we are. We're still way better than the dumbass fighter at sneaking up behind someone and cutting their throat. Stupid fighters, I mean, why give them a chance to raise their shield and hit back, am I right? That means we still have backstab. Speculation: maybe they're going to give us some of those feats that subtracted our precious precious d6s of sneak attack damage in order to do slowing effects and the like as class "powers"?
Trapfinding: this is why the party loves you, and it's been every rogue's bread and butter since day one. Well, it looks like trapfinding is a feat that anyone can take, but rogues get it for free. So on the plus side you won't need to be the party traps bitch anymore, but on the other hand you can't hold that over the party's head. Speculation: we'll still be forced to do it since we and few others will have Search as a class skill. Works for me, I've already got it maxed out.
Overheard in the local tavern:
"...from tumbling past enemies without provoking opportunity attacks, to the extremely useful enhanced ability to escape a grab... to the power that lets me switch places with the target." Sounds like we're getting a few neat new powers. I already had that tumbling ability back in 3.x personally, but that was from my ranks in tumble. Sounds like any of you slackers that forgot to appropriate your skill points properly are getting it as a new option, ya lucky buggers.
"I was then able to use a cool attack that gives me a 3 step shift and got back behind our two tanks." Flanking made even easier you say? As long as that dang fighter's still freeloading I might as well get this benefit from him.
Wait, what's that? The position where you can get sneak attack is now called combat advantage? Nice to know. It kind of rolls off the tongue, and I don't know about you but I've taken advantage of many a half-elf lass in my day, it's about time I could do it in combat too.
We also have an ability to knock the target prone. If there's anything that fighter can do that I've ever been jealous of, it's his ability to knock people down and make it easier for me to stab them. Now I don't know how well this will compare to bullrushing them or grappling them, but if it's something that makes it easier for me to stab people in their vitals I'm all for it.
We also get some sort of follow up attack after successful attacks, ie extra damage or penalties.[b/] Speculation: some sort of "power" that alters our sneak attacks? I, for one, hope so.
Apparently at later levels we will also get "High powered abilities allow multiple attack and tactical movement." Here's hoping that's as good as it sounds!
*charges another round to the guild tab*

So who else wants to join in on the love/information sharing of the Rogues? Pull up a chair, let us know what you know, or just bask in our incredible stories.

eve_of_dante

First Post
I heard that those more intelligent folks will just be a bit better at skills... whereas back in the day, they mainly just got more...

Those thieving halflings are the best, but them elves aren't bad either... and I hear those newcomers, the tieflings, have a silver tongue if you're interested in that kind of rogue... ;)

(Races and Classes)

Might also be worth listening to that Roger guy in the corner, looks like he's been at the trade for awhile:

http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/Communities/BlogPost.aspx?blogpostid=20006&pagemode=2&blogid=2126

Last edited:

Remove ads