D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Archer Build - comments?

Rackhir

Explorer
Darklone said:
That screams for skirmisher: Go Swift Hunter with scout3/rangerX and pick as your main favored enemy undead. At level 11 given you have Improved Skirmish and Greater Manyshot, you'll do 6+5d6 points of extra damage with each of your three fired arrows per standard action while enjoying a high AC and moving away from the bad bad undead.

3d8+18+15d6+ 3*(str mod+bow enhancement) with a standard action sounds good to me. And don't worry too much about hitting, I can hardly remember the last time our Swift hunter missed something.

IIRC, skirmish damage being "precision damage" doesn't affect undead. Thus the OP's comment about how the likely prevalence of undead makes that sort of build much less attractive.

Darklone

Rackhir said:
IIRC, skirmish damage being "precision damage" doesn't affect undead. Thus the OP's comment about how the likely prevalence of undead makes that sort of build much less attractive.
If there hasn't been any errata about the Swift Hunter feat, then skirmish damage applies to the ranger/scouts favored enemies.

Edit: The feat allows to add scout and ranger levels for favored enemy progression as well as skirmish damage progression. Additionally, skirmish damage applies to favored enemies even if they are normally immune to such damage.

Last edited:

Darklone said:
If there hasn't been any errata about the Swift Hunter feat, then skirmish damage applies to the ranger/scouts favored enemies.

Edit: The feat allows to add scout and ranger levels for favored enemy progression as well as skirmish damage progression. Additionally, skirmish damage applies to favored enemies even if they are normally immune to such damage.

Ah, I didn't see the bit about allowing skirmish damage to apply to favored enemies normally immune to it. That does open it up as an option. However, the DM has hinted that he would be less than pleased if the players specifically build their characters for fighting undead (the module he's running us through is designed with that being a surprise). Hence, taking favored enemy undead and a bunch of abilities designed to let me hunt them better might not fly.

Rackhir

Explorer
Levels of Ranger also allow you to use an invaluable spell, either from normal ranger spell casting or with a wand. Arrow Mind from Complete Adventurer lets you threaten a standard area (ie. 5' for a medium, but could be larger if you had Enlarge Person on you), so you don't suffer AoOs from firing your bow in a threatened area and the best part is its a swift action to use. So you don't have to waste an action casting it.

RE: Favored Enemies - You get a second favored enemy at 5th level Ranger. So if you took that for your next level AFTER the campaign starts, you could make them your favored enemies then. Also given the way it works, when you get a second favored enemy you also get an additional +2 vs one of your favored enemies (it doesn't matter which one, you can pick the new favored enemy). So you could get a +4 bonus vs Undead at that point.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

First Post
I've always thought that a Ranger 6/ Fighter 4 would be a good 10th-level start, picking up Craft Wand to be able to craft your own Ranger wands for spells like Hunter's Mercy (save your spell slots for Swift and Immediate spells like Arrow Mind).

Of course, if your DM likes to make available powerful crafters who will do custom work for your party at reasonable prices, then you could just let them handle it.

Elethiomel

First Post
Knowledge Sinkhole said:
Ah, I didn't see the bit about allowing skirmish damage to apply to favored enemies normally immune to it. That does open it up as an option. However, the DM has hinted that he would be less than pleased if the players specifically build their characters for fighting undead (the module he's running us through is designed with that being a surprise). Hence, taking favored enemy undead and a bunch of abilities designed to let me hunt them better might not fly.
My Swift Hunter 12 has favored enemies Undead, Constructs, and Drow. Drow is campaign specific,and hence has +6, but the others are just "making sense" for any build using the feat.

[Edit: Scout 4 gives a BAB and a bonus feat, plus even more skill points than Ranger gives you. In my opinion it's worth more than a Ranger level, though you must wait until level 12 to get Greater Manyshot in that case, which might not be worth it when you start at 10. Of course, you could take that Scout level at level 10, which would let you take Greater Manyshot at 9 as you get Greater Combat Style (Manyshot) at level 9, which lets you qualify for Greater Manyshot at that level.]

Last edited:

Darklone

Knowledge Sinkhole said:
Hehehe, yeah, I see that a char that will kill most high level undeads (due to their low hitpoints) with one action might be seen as a little bit optimised :D

Remove ads