Tempest Fugit

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Gur can estimate that based on the mount's speeds, they are not fast enough to make it around the edge of a typical storm before the storm catches up with them unless they were right at the lateral edge of the front. Fleeing directly away from the storm might work for a while (the mounts can hustle about 50 miles per hour), but it would waste a lot of time, and if the mounts fade, they'll have to walk a significant amount of desert by foot, with each hour lost on the steeds being about two weeks on foot.*

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: RA, think you can just retcon me out of this? Should be a big deal since I showed up late in the first place.

Patlin

Explorer
Is there any shelter to be seen? If we can't go over, around, or run away and there is no shelter Tor will suggest dropping to ground level where at least the wind won't blow us around as much. Then try to bust our way through at full speed... it'll probably be worse while we are in it, but we should pass through it a lot quicker.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: No obvious shelter on the open sands, no. I mean, there's sand dunes, but those aren't really any protection, since the wind can blow them away into you. The better news is that even on the ground on shifting sands, the steeds ignore movement penalties and can walk at full speed)

orsal

LEW Judge
Rystil Arden said:
*Gur can estimate that based on the mount's speeds, they are not fast enough to make it around the edge of a typical storm before the storm catches up with them unless they were right at the lateral edge of the front. Fleeing directly away from the storm might work for a while (the mounts can hustle about 50 miles per hour), but it would waste a lot of time, and if the mounts fade, they'll have to walk a significant amount of desert by foot, with each hour lost on the steeds being about two weeks on foot.*

"In that case, I think our best bet is still to plow ahead", Nurlan opines, after Gur gives his assessment.

Patlin

Explorer
Tor suggests that everyone cover their eyes to keep the sand out of them. He directs his mount to the ground, and continues riding it into the sandstorm at full speed, bracing for impact.

He'll also try to be ready to minimize damage from his landing should the spell fail.

(Mechanics: A survival check is only available if we cut our speed in half. While I'd prefer making half as many saves to getting a +2 on the ones we do make, if we are cut down to half speed Tor will make a survival check (at +5) in order to provide the bonus. If he is allowed to, he will take 10 on the check. Unfortunately, he is not good enough at survival to offer the bonus to others with a take 10. In better news, his Fort save is +8 before any survival bonus.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I'll wait to see if people prefer the Survival check or not. You can also try to create a temporary shelter if you slow your speed to 0, and that would give a bigger bonus. Once I know what speed you are progressing, I'll roll the sandstorm)

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Why the hell are we here again? Was I drunk when I agreed to this? No wait... I don't think I drink... do I? Maybe I do... but I can't remember the last time I did. Well... if it has to go this way, I suggest we do whatever we can to not die. I don't think I want to die out here, not that it'd matter much to me after the fact."

(Well, if the mechanics you're talking about are accurate, 1/2 the total number of saves is probably superior. Gur has +14 to this type of survival check, so he can confer the bonus pretty easily.)

Remove ads