Last Stand of the Dorinthians- Dead Secrets

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Nefius turns towards the frowning Silas and asks, "Your friend seems to have realized the futility of resisting this new future. What is it that drove you to come here, though... Silas, isn't it?" Nefius asks as he tries to recall your names from his brief dealings with you.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"I'm a skeptical man, Nefius. I...need to know first. What's going to happen, that is. I mean, I can't just embrace this transformation like Barok here unless I can understand what is to happen. The curse of intellect." Silas grimaces. "I know you, of all people, understand that." He sighs deeply. "My friend Kel, a priest, once accused me of having a disturbing lack of faith. I try but..." Silas shrugs and falls silent.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"It's difficult to describe, Silas. First you feel yourself become ill, which can last a few days. If you are faithful during this, you swear you begin to hear voices in your dreams and see visions as if through the eyes of others during your waking hours. I admit it can seem as if you are going mad. After awhile though you begin to understand the voices in your dreams as those of your fellow believers. You may fear as if you are going mad. It is here in the dreamscape that the faithful of Festios are organized and given tasks. As you master the visions of your waking hours you begin to realize that you are seeing through the eyes of the undead of Festios, those infected that did not quite believe but were still superstitious enough to at least be tempted to his faith in the hope for salvation. After a couple of weeks of this you will likely learn how to control these undead and bend them towards your will. However, they are not just mindless zombies. They can move like men and have a measure of intelligence. Sometimes I think that they have their own hive mind that I'm unable to fathom. And in their own way they demand things... things that you must perform such as sitting in a dead town and being their ruler lest..." Nefius' eyes widen in horrific madness as he speaks of this last part and shudders. The undead near him seem to shuffle almost nervously as they look towards him and he slowly begins to regain his composure.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Lest...?" Silas stares at Nefius, pressing, not giving the man a chance to recover. "Lest what, Nefius? They overthrow you for a new queen bee? Something worse? Do you really control them, Nefius? Or do they keep you imprisoned here, in this broken city, forcing their thoughts on yours, denying you your true destiny? What, Nefius, what?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
With wild eyes Nefius rushes forward and clamps his hand over Silas' mouth. Hush, Silas. Hush!" The priest looks in fear as the creatures around you start to move forward with fists balling in agitation. "Stop! They are friends. You will obey me and stop!" They continue forward, but Nefius himself swings his staff and connects with the closest of the undead, killing it with a force sufficient enough to crush the side of its skull.

The five other undead seem to hesitate, as if stunned, then move to rush forward in silent rage. You are sure that the undead outside will also attempt to storm this old profaned Chapel to the Rider. A whole city of undead versus Nefius, Silas, and Barok.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas looks grim. I certainly didn't expect this! "What have I done, Nefius? What have I done?" He clutches his staff firmly in one hand and holds the other out in preparation to cast Burning Hands.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Nefius says nothing, but notes the spell Silas readies and casts his own burning hands spell at three of the incoming undead. Silas lets out his own an instant later and the trio scream and fall into a charred heap under the combined inferno. Barok nicks a fourth humanoid along its shin, while its return strike sails far over his head. A fifth humanoid rushes at Silas, who deflects its strong swing with his quarterstaff. With both blades driving deeply into his opponent, Barok finishes off the fourth zombie and Silas and Nefius make quick work of the last one with their quarterstaves.

You are alone for now, but Nefius stares at the entrance to the Chapel of the Rider. "They know I've betrayed them and they're coming now. We have to start barring the door," he says as he looks around. There are several pews that could be thrown in front of the door along with several large oak statues crafted in honor of Festios. There is also a larger toppled bronze statue of the Rider, but it looks quite heavy to move. About fifteen feet above you starts a series of thin stained glass windows, but it would be difficult for the undead to climb up there and even more difficult for you to barricade. Rotting vines and plants lay sparsely along the floor. That is all you notice of the chapel on a quick inspection.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas will move to help blockade the door with whatever they are able to move. "How many are there? This surely won't hold them for long. And if even a glimmer of intelligence remains, will they think to burn us out?" He looks to Nefius for answers and Barok to see if he has any suggestions. "Perhaps it would be better to make a run for it..."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Nefius shakes his head as you hear a pounding sound at the door. "No, they are already here. We can run to the cellar, but besides that are options are limited to holding out or fighting our way out. Then again, I've only been through the cellar once and briefly so maybe there is something there for us..."

His dialogue is stopped as you hear a skittering higher up the wall. It sounds as if someone or some people are trying to climb up the wall of the Chapel from the outside and reach the stained glass windows above. Also the pounding on the doors grows louder, although Barok and Silas placed enough of the pews and two oak statues of Festios against the doors to hold the angry crowd outside back.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas looks from wall to door and back to Nefius. "Well, we can't get any more trapped than we already are. Lead on to the cellar. Maybe we can find something there to stop them or even a secret tunnel out." He laughs, though it's clear he doesn't really expect to find anything of the sort.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases