Last Stand of the Dorinthians- Dead Secrets

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas covers his surprise with a cough and glances over to witness Nefius' reaction. Poisoner. Hmm, hadn't looked at it in that light... He bows to the old woman and says, "Welcome, grandmother. We are pleased to share your company and accept your wisdom. There is much that troubles me. Where shall we begin?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Ah, manners! This is why I find the sons of Dorin such good company. Why don't you help me up on that horse young man, and we'll talk about things such as desperation and what it does to men such as those you travel with."

Nefius has a blank expression on his face as he answers dryly, "Or better yet, we can simply leave this abomination and push on."

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Nonsense, Nefius. Don't they teach respect of wisdom and experience in Tallione? Or is it all about pure power? Tsk." Silas swings down from his horse to help the old woman up into the saddle. Instead of remounting he will take the reins and walk ahead leading the horse. In a more serious tone, Silas continues, "So, Grandmother, you mention men and desperation..."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Ride slowly, young man, for we will not be able to talk long when you reach the top. The two that you ride with have dark hearts, though the outlander's heart is darker indeed. The rogue that you call friend would do any wicked deed short of betraying you in a desperate attempt to save his own life. He would murder or steal from almost anyone in that pursuit. The hardness of his heart would be tasty, but nothing so delicious as that of the poisoner next to you. He liked to kill rivals with poison in order to move up to the position he is in, including his old master. He tried to betray his own general for personal gain, and he embraced a new faith in order to save his own skin, but then recanted only when he realized his own humanity would be lost. That last action wasn't done because he wished to repent, but rather because of cowardice." She smiles sweetly at Nefius, but he has thrown his hood up and ignores her.

She then whispers to Silas and Barok, "And now he takes you to the place where your ancestors learned of the Avariel and began their rebellion long before the coming of Dorin. He knows from snippets of tales that he has heard in the recorded legends stored in his old library along with a recent painting he saw that there is knowledge to be found there, and perhaps great magic too. But he hasn't told you that, has he? He honestly does not know what is there and in desperation he drives himself to go there. If he thought betraying you would save his own life, he would, but he knows his former allies want him destroyed now. He knows this because he can still sense them in his mind, just as they can sense him. Which is why they knew which way you were fleeing in the city you just left. Which is why they wait for you at the top of this mountain, but in desperation he will meet them with you and hope that you may overcome them for he no longer has a choice. And in your desperation to live and in your desperation to find a cure, what will you do," she asks sweetly smiling with crooked teeth.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas is quiet for a long while thinking about what the old woman has said. He also slows his pace considerably. "Grandmother, you know much about us and these events. More than any other besides us should know. Do you know if there truly is a cure for this plague? Or are we spending our lives foolishly? As for what I would do..." His face hardens into a scowl. "I would do much that I find distasteful, including ally with my enemies, to ensure the future for my son. What would you have me do?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Good that you slow down as it gives us more time for our little chat. I'm unsure of what you will find in the caverns beneath this peak. I do know that you have the potential of finding information that may be important to you, though I can't say that it will be the cure you seek. And most of your kind spend their days in foolish pursuits but I can't say that survival is foolish at all. In fact, I myself wish nothing else but to survive. I'll tell you what, young man. When you near the top of the hill you should have your sneaky friend dismount and follow you while using the nearby brush as cover. That way at least some of your ambushers might become ambushees. As you reach the summit you will be approached by those that follow your new companion. The leader of your enemies likes to make dramatic speeches. As he strokes his own ego, toss this to his feet though make sure you are at least 15 arms lengths away," she says handing Silas a sphere of warm, red glass. "Finally, whatever happens do not move to protect the stranger that you have taken as your companion lest you may share in his own fate. And you do want to see your child again someday, don't you deary?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas lets out a long, troubled sigh. "Barok, when the time comes, you should use your unique skills to the utmost. We should take whatever precaution we can; just in case." Turning back to the old woman he accepts the red glass sphere and tucks it into his pouch where he can easily and quickly reach it. "Thank you. You know much of what is to come, Grandmother. What did you say your name was?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Stop now," the older woman commands as you near the top. "There are two men and seven of their slaves waiting for you at the top of that ridge, isn't that right, dark one?" the woman says, pointing ahead in the twilight towards where your path nears a ridge two hundred yards away. Nefius simply nods grimly, his face pale and dripping with sweat as the affliction continues to eat at his body now that he had betrayed the faith of Festios. Barok simply dismounts, ties his horse to a nearby tree, and disappears into the woods to your left.

The path you are on is 25 feet wide, with brush and trees to either side. 600 feet up the path, a tree-covered ridge juts out from the woods to your left. To the right side the forest continues, but then stops near the ridge because of a dangerous slope that would cause you to tumble down the mountainside if you are not careful, although the path itself is still 25 feet wide at this location. It looks like a decent place for an ambush, but the top of the mountain is just beyond the pass.

The woman stares at Nefius for a moment and gives him a chilling smile, then she dismounts, straightens out her clothes, and says, "As for my name, folks of this land like to call me Ulavree and it suits me fine enough. Oh don't give me that look. I'm mostly not her. Good luck to you, youngins. You'll see me again soon enough." Ulavree turns, and disappears into the forest to the left of the pass.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas' mouth falls open in shock but before he can speak Ullavree is gone. Snapping his mouth shut he looks around, sighs loudly, and then pulls out the red glass globe. He holds it in one hand and with the other still holding his mount's reigns begins to slowly walk forward. "Anything you'd like to tell me before we meet with these former cohorts of yours, Nefius? A cure for this plague would be nice but I'll settle for any bit of useful information. In return..." Silas' eyes turn flinty as he continues to look up the path for sign of ambushers. "...I might be persuaded to help you out of this predicament."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Nefius looks onward before responding with a weak and sickened voice. "They haven't forgiven me for leaving. There are three men that I can sense along with a small number of their servants. The servants are like those Dorinthians you have recently fought. The men themselves are Tallione servants of Festios. The leader may be a bit tougher than you could handle, though I may have been able to match him when I was not so sick. His two companions are weaker, and less of a threat. They can... sense, for lack of a better word, my approach. We are still bonded in that way. And they know I am struggling."

Remove ads