Ampersand: Sneak Attack

Doug McCrae

Legend
w00t! Crunchtastic.

Fixed hit points are my favourite bit. At last D&D's going to step out of the 1970s.

I figure there must be a lot more rogue powers, they just printed a small selection.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
w00t! Crunchtastic.

Fixed hit points are my favourite bit. At last D&D's going to step out of the 1970s.

I figure there must be a lot more rogue powers, they just printed a small selection.

Yeah I think so too, especially since it goes from:

Tumble
Rogue Utility 2

TO

Crimson Edge
Rogue Attack 9

If one assumes that is the level you get them at we got at the very least 7 levels missing of powers, and probably more before level 2 as well.

Almacov

First Post
ainatan said:
So crimson edge is something like an auto-hit? If I put some deadly poison on my light blade and use this power....

You'd probably still have to hit with the poison as a followup attack vs fortitude, if DDM is any indication. ;)

Seems plausible that it may at least automatically initiate that though, yeah.
Unless of course the wording for poison is "If the melee/ranged attack hits, make a followup attack vs fortitude to see if the poison is effective." That would spoil your fun there.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Oh noes! Rogues can has shrikens! D&D has been ruined by anime!" Just kidding. That's easy enough to houserule right off my table (you say "shuriken," I say "throwing knife.") Not a deal-breaker.

I am very excited. Very pleased indeed.

Some of my favorite bits:

- Fixed HP per level (at last!)
- Fixed the sneak attack damage scale
- Summed up many battlefield conditions into a single one called "Combat Advantage"
- Positioning Strike sounds like fun, especially near a cliff. Or lava.

Some of my not-so-favorite bits:

- Shurikens
- Crimson Edge
- Sneak attack restricted to only light blades, crossbows, and slings.

Some unanswered questions that will haunt me until the PHB is released:

- What about nonlethal/subdual damage? Can my rogue still knock the snot out of his opponents with a sap, knock them unconscious, and thereby capture them without killing them? Because that's a good time.

- What is the difference between moving and shifting?

- (The big one) What circumstances grant Combat Advantage?

Last edited:

Vayden said:
Do we know that for sure, or have we all just been assuming that because of SWSE? Just saying, this is the biggest single piece of crunch we've seen yet, and I don't see anything in there about adding your level/half your level to anything. I think it's been confirmed that you add it to skill rolls, but I'm not sure you'll be adding it to attacks/damage. Remember, in SWSE you didn't have magic weapons and armor, but it was confirmed that +X wpns/armor are still going to be in 4E.

It's worth noting that this writeup in fact says nothing at all about level progressions.

Except of course that Rogue Attack 1 & 9 and Rogue Utility 2 look like some sort of progression based requirement. A delicious one, that no doubt tastes wonderful with multi-classing.

This just looks awesome. I'm really pleased beyond all expectations.

And very pleased that I called the favored races (is that even a term) for the rogues when beginning to do the write ups for my inevitable homebrew TM. Though I think I will read any mention of the word shuriken as 'generic small bladed throwing weapon.' I really like that they're starting with a mixed culture perspective so there are no more monk kama/druid sickle splits, but I'm probably going to be using a less mixed cultural perspective so there you are. On the other hand, it may be that I just hate shuriken from 3.X and that in this edition they will be awesome.

That's a great illustration, too, the new Halfling grew on me by 1.5 feet with that picture alone.

Last edited:

Kraydak

First Post
Flat hp=very, very good

Massive array of melee attacks that don't target AC: :\
I'm guessing that NPCs don't get such, or Defenders are going to have massive issues.
Attacks that force (lots) of movement: again, PC only or Defenders are going to *cry*.

If the above holds, any remaining whisper of a hope of NPC/PC transparency fades (and by that I mean making NPCs with PC rules). Forget NPC abilities that would break the game if PCs got them, the rogue abilities threaten to break the game if *NPCs* got them.

Melee PCs are never, ever, going to make a normal attack. But we kind of already knew that. As noted above, the int/skill thing is interesting. It wouldn't completely shock me if int gave skills, but from the full, rather than class, skill list.

Remove ads