A Sojourn in Sairundan Part 2 [Judge: Manzanita]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"It is true that these forests and seas of yours are certainly unusual, as if from a fantasy world, but still...the colours of the sunset over a mesa of painted rock overlooking a wide canyon, surely there is little more majestic. That sort of thing truly gives you a sense of how small we are when compared to the vast world around us."

Trouvere

Explorer
"Certainly, though I do not need reminding. But you do not need to defend the desert landscape to me. I daresay if we had travelled through a forest or across the Great Sea for a month, I would be complaining just the same. Perhaps there is a reason so many wizards build towers and never shift themselves again. Books are heavy, and campfires are poor reading lights."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Perhaps it is so for some Wizards. Though I do not know why one would seek to hide such an amazing gift as the magic that Wizards share. I may have only too small a sample of Wizards whom I have met, however. I can really only speak for Elise Ellom, who seemed to enjoy traveling through the world and protecting people rather than holing herself away."

Trouvere

Explorer
"My friend Tommy is destined for great things, I think. For myself, I am not sure," says Conuld. "I wonder what he is doing now. We fought side by side on the very day we met. We each killed a ruffian." He says this with rue, not pride. "Overly effective shots with our crossbows. Cludge was there too, of course."

Solange

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
"Good." Kurgahz says grumpily. "A month riding this smelly thing is about all I can take. So Shadya, how much trouble am I gonna run into here considering what those scouts said about the racial tensions heating up?" the half-orc asks while scratching at his neck.
"None I hope, but stay by me for now. Father's name speaking for you should get you by," Shadya says with some concern.
Trouvere said:
"It is beautiful, in its way. But I grew up near Orussus. I am used to greenness, to little fields, and hills, and small woods, and the sea, and clouds, and when I want it the sound of many people. I miss the variety of landscape within a few hours' walk. No doubt you would tell me to pay more attention to the contours of the dunes and the changing colours of the sand, and be filled with joy when I see an exposed rock, but I am afraid such delights are too subtle for me. At least, they are after weeks."
"Do not mistake color for beauty. Particularly Orussus, where outside of the colors, many of the buildings look the same. The beauty in Helatia is in the it's buildings, their contours and artistry in every building, wall, and road. But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You grow to appreciate what you grow up with."
Rystil Arden said:
"Hmm, I was thinking that this desert can be rather beautiful, especially at night. It is also quite nice here, and not too extreme--certainly cooler by day in these Western deserts. The worst we get are the sandstorms, though those, admittedly, are a bit strong. Still, it will be interesting to finally see this desert city of yours, Shadya. I have heard about the legendary Sairundan since reaching the Western lands. Many mistook me from being from this region. Now I will finally see it for myself."
"I am glad that I did not grow up in the desert of fire. It seems quite harsh. The desert of wind is harsh, but fair, and does has it's charm."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: I want the Helatia description and the introduction to Shadya's family to be really good, and I just don't have the time to devote to preparing it this week. I was hoping to put it together in my spare time, but it's just not happening. So I'm gonna put us on hold one more time. By Monday, I'll have the Helatia post up, and I think I'll be able to keep up the pace after that. Thanks for your patience everybody.

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: Thanks for letting us know Rae. Also nice to see someone who cares so much about the final product that they're willing to delay to get it right instead of pushing out something quick but half done. *golf clap*

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As you ride, the city on the horizon becomes clearer through the haze. A strong wind blows, whipping sand into intricate seeming dust clouds. The last few weeks have been rather windy as well. You get the feeling that the wind is always blowing here.

A particularly dense dust cloud envelopes you for the last stretch of the journey. When it finally clears away, Helatia is right in front of you. It is just as Shadya described, beautiful. The buildings have an ancient, eroded look to them. Nary a corner can be found, the walls bend and curve gently, as though streamlined to allow the wind to blow freely by them.

The first structures you come in contact with are the Twin Djinn, the famed guard towers at the northeastern edge of Helatia. They stretch high into the air, their bases are thick, sculpted clouds, their tops are the torsos of djinn with folded arms. The left djinni's face is stern, the other is smiling. In both djinn, arrow slits dot the massive structures. In the bright daylight, you can't see faces behind the slits, but you know they must be there.

Out of the base of the right djinni, the smiling one, a man in the flowing garb of Sairundan steps out. At his hips are two scimitars. He approaches you, sees Shadya, stops, and waves you on with a nod. He returns to his post in the djinni's cloud column.

Beyond the Twin Djinn the city stretches. It is small, as far as cities go, but dense. At the center of the circular city is a tall, sculpted edifice. At its base is a hemisphere. In the center of the hemisphere, a smooth vertical segment continues upward, then splits in two, then joins again, creating a sort of torus. It is to this building that Shadya leads you.

As you walk through the streets, Shadya recognizes almost everybody. Humans and dwarves of the Hurakan tribe walk the streets, going about their various lives. Many bid her a courteous hello, but everyone seems to be in too much of hurry to catch up with her. Kurgahz can't help but notice some less-than-friendly glances cast his way.

After a short while, you reach the base of the large central hemisphere. A large, ornate arch is carved into the side, depicting (as many of the fancier buildings do) clouds rolling and flowing into each other. Above the arch a flowing script is carved. It is Sairundan, it says...

[sblock=Sairundan: ]Wind is strong, wind is swift. Like the wind, we cannot be contained.[/sblock]
Inside the hemisphere is a grand hall with great columns and statues of the sons and daughters of Sairundan. Shadya doesn't lead you to the center of the hall, where a ring of large hewn thrones is located, but rather she takes you to the side, through a series of rooms, to the chambers of her father, an advisor to the patriarch. She is waved through up until the last passage, this one concealed by a red curtain. A Sairundani guards the entrance, he halts her and says in Common, "Shadya yn Hayder, your father has long awaited your arrival. He will be relieved to know you have arrived safely. But I cannot allow this ug.... unclean one... passage into the holy chambers." His hand makes a vague gesture at Kurgahz.

[sblock=Shadya: ]As best you can remember, Sairundan leaders have always been respected, revered, but never classified as "holy men", so this man's claim that the chambers are "holy" is a little surprising to you.

OOC: Shadya recognizes basically everybody. Feel free to assume you know a few random people very well, and also feel free to give some people names. No ai Hurakan, though, if you want to know some powerful people, let me know first. Shadya, being somewhat of a noble, is known by many but shouldn't know too many people personally.

This guard she recognizes as a man of Typhoon descent, and is not the same guard who has been with her father since before she can remember. That man's name was Venka ai Krishnan, this man's name she cannot recall.[/sblock]

Last edited:

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Dwarven Fighter 3 HP:34 AC:15

I don' like tha sound o' that, Cludge hisses lowly to Conuld and Kurghaz. Someone oughta teach that guy some manners.

Remove ads