D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Firstly, I'd like to say that you did a great job on this!

But to insure further quality and usage of your compilation, I'd like to point out some errors that I found, and make some suggestions:
- According to my math (and 32 point buy), Erais only has one racial +2, and that is the one that would boost his 16 in wisdom to 18. I think it is safe to say that humans get a single +2 to any ability score
- Tira's Wizard Power Ray of Frost is still an at-will power for her. I don't think the multi-classed power changes usage category.
- I think it is a little redundant to have the racial powers for things in both the fluff and mechanics sections for classes
- I think there was a rule explained on the D&DEXP magic item sheets telling when players could pick up a magical peice of equipment. I was wondering if you might be able to find that and add it to the rules.
- I cannot find the rules for Concealment in the PDF. If you don't have it in there and the rules are available, please add it. If it is already in there, I think it would be best grouped in the conditions section.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
There is:

DISPEL MAGIC
Wizard Utility 6
You unleash a ray of crackling arcane energy that destroys a magical effect created by an opponent.
Daily * Arcane
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One conjuration or zone
Attack: Intelligence vs. the Will defense of the creator of the conjuration or the zone
Hit: The conjuration or the zone is

and the not entirely complete and iffy Dragonborn stats:

Here's what I can make out:

Str +2, Cha +2
Size Medium
Speed (some number less than 10) squares
Vision Normal

Languages Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses +2 History (not 100% on this), +2 Intimidate

Dragonborn Fury When you're Bloodied you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
Draconic Heritage (Something about using something else instead of your Constitution modifier, but I can't make out for what)
Dragon Breath (Blurry text)

Dragon Breath (Red-coloured Power) Dragonborn Racial Power
Encounter * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Minor Action (I kid you not!) Area blast 3 (I think)
Target All creatures in blast (I think)
Attack Strength +2 vs. Reflex, Constitution +2 vs. Reflex, or (blurry) +2 vs. Reflex

I think it lists the damage as 1d8 + Constitution modifier, but it gets mighty blurry there, and the paragraph continues off the edge of the screen. Edit: it could even be "2d6 + Constitution modifier", this part of the picture is really hard to make out.

There's a neat picture of a female dragonborn with scale mail, a shield and what might be her sword to the left of the text.

sunrisekid

Explorer
Ian O'Rourke said:
Hah, I see. I wasn't so much pointing out a mistake more being confused. We might be playing 4E come June and I'm eyeing up the Ranger class. That power made him a bit of wuss put to the Rogue so I was a bit confused.Thanks for the info.

Two of my players are each trying the rogue and the ranger and so far the rogue seems to be a bit more powerful in terms of damage output. Personally I'm finding this a bit odd because I've always imagined rangers a better combatant than rogues.

In my 4E playtest game, I'm letting the ranger retain two-weapon fighting but I'm not really sure how to handle it other than to retain 3E rules (ie, no penalty to primary and -4 to secondary). This means that his secondary often misses, resulting in a damage output significantly lower than the rogue. Looking at the Everfrost Ranger I'm tempted to let my player use his secondary attack without penalty.

sunrisekid said:
In my 4E playtest game, I'm letting the ranger retain two-weapon fighting but I'm not really sure how to handle it other than to retain 3E rules (ie, no penalty to primary and -4 to secondary). This means that his secondary often misses, resulting in a damage output significantly lower than the rogue. Looking at the Everfrost Ranger I'm tempted to let my player use his secondary attack without penalty.

I think it's a good idea, since the ranger loose the hunter's quarry why not :)

sunrisekid

Explorer
FabioMilitoPagliara said:
I think it's a good idea, since the ranger loose the hunter's quarry why not :)

I don't understand, do you mean to say that when using two-weapon fighting the ranger must cancel his hunter's quarry ability? Does this mean that two-weapon fighting is an at-will exploit?

Another, broader, question: are characters ever capable of performing more than one at-will power simultaneously, such that, for example, if two-weapon fighting is an at-will can the ranger use two-weapon fighting against their hunted quarry?

bjorn2bwild

First Post
sunrisekid said:
I don't understand, do you mean to say that when using two-weapon fighting the ranger must cancel his hunter's quarry ability? Does this mean that two-weapon fighting is an at-will exploit?

Most likely there will be at-will powers covering the use of two weapons. Otherwise, if they are encounter only powers, there will be far less incentive to carry two weapons into combat.

The bit about not being able to use two weapons and hunter's quarry I believe to be speculation that if the ranger chooses to do the "melee" path rather than the "ranged" path, he will choose two weapon fighting instead of hunter's quarry. I don't particularly believe this to be a correct assumption, but it's possible.

Another, broader, question: are characters ever capable of performing more than one at-will power simultaneously, such that, for example, if two-weapon fighting is an at-will can the ranger use two-weapon fighting against their hunted quarry?

A few things:

1. I don't see anything in the rules about being restricted to only one power per round. As long as the powers take up different actions, and you have those actions to spend, there shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't do both. Hunter's Quarry takes a minor action to activate. Most attacks take a standard action to activate.

2. Hunter's Quarry (as of DnDXP) is not an "at-will power" but rather a class ability. So, in this case, it's not using two at-will powers, but rather using a class ability and an at-will power. :)

3. Hunter's Quarry doesn't go away. Once you designate a target as your quarry, it stays that way until the target is defeated, the encounter ends, or you designate a new quarry. So, even if, for some reason, you could not designate a quarry and attack with two weapons in the same round, you could designate in one round and then attack your quarry with two weapons in the next round.

sunrisekid said:

it's an assumption on my part, I see the hunter's quarry as a "bow" thing so to keep being a striker with 2 weapon maybe the Ranger will get a bonus to damage for using 2 weapon but not the hunter's quarry (why he should keep it, if you go melee it's obvious that you are applying the bonus thing to you nearest target)

just guessing

yes I think 2-weapon fighting will be an at-will exploit (but then you should have more than 1 power, so you would have powerfull attack, double parry, parry and reposte) or even a ranger feature

Verys Arkon

First Post
Thanks for the feedback RyukenAngel. I'm always looking to improve the PrRC, and I'm glad for every eye that spots a problem. I've made some comments below:

RyukenAngel said:
Firstly, I'd like to say that you did a great job on this!

But to insure further quality and usage of your compilation, I'd like to point out some errors that I found, and make some suggestions:
- According to my math (and 32 point buy), Erais only has one racial +2, and that is the one that would boost his 16 in wisdom to 18. I think it is safe to say that humans get a single +2 to any ability score
I think you are right on this point. PrRC v1.3 has changed the entry to +2 to any 1 ability score, with a footnote that it may be +2 to 2 abilities (though unlikely).

- Tira's Wizard Power Ray of Frost is still an at-will power for her. I don't think the multi-classed power changes usage category.
Jury is still out on this one, I think. Because the updated pregen version of Tira has had the Ray of Frost moved to the Encounter Powers section (I assume intentionally), then I think the most logical explanation at this point is that the half-elf's bonus cross-class power downgrades a step from At-Will to Per Encounter. I will admit it is speculative as evidenced by the [At-Will?] notation in the PrRC 1.3 description of the power, page 25, and suggest your DM house-rules as he/she feels appropriate for now. If you know of a thread that talks about this, let me know.

- I think it is a little redundant to have the racial powers for things in both the fluff and mechanics sections for classes
I looked through the PrRC's Class section and can't find any racial information that is being repeated. Could you point it out? If you meant repetition in the 'Races' section on the other hand, I can see your point. I kept the racial powers in the 'summary' section so players could see the powers for all the races in one place. It is repeated in the detailed write-ups for completeness. If we had detailed write-ups for all the races, I would be more inclinded to remove the racial power descriptions from the summary area. It is a matter of personal editorial bias, I think.

- I think there was a rule explained on the D&DEXP magic item sheets telling when players could pick up a magical peice of equipment. I was wondering if you might be able to find that and add it to the rules.
I'm not aware of these rules, but if anyone knows where to find them please post a link, and I'll include them.

- I cannot find the rules for Concealment in the PDF. If you don't have it in there and the rules are available, please add it. If it is already in there, I think it would be best grouped in the conditions section.
Concealment was added in v1.3, from this thread, and is found in the Combat Modifiers section along with cover, on page 36 (and in a table, same page). I chose to put it here instead of in the Conditions section because that is where it is located in the 3.5 PHB (page 152). Also, neither cover nor concealment are included in the 3.5 DMG Condition summary, page 300. I think this is because Conditions are something that effect creatures, while cover and concealment are tactical circumstances that can effect multiple creatures.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to see the PHB in June to clear up these issues either.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
It looks pretty good so far, albeit, it is not as validated as we would like.
You could definitely add it and perhaps a special border or background with a link to the thread, and a note about it being not so definite.

Or perhaps just a link to the thread with the potential stats and then people can make up their own minds until something more solid comes along.

Remove ads