D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Catharsis

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
This is how I see the calculations using PrRC (make sure you are using the newest versions of the pregens).
Are there corrected versions of the pregen characters? Huh, I didn't know. That changes everything, I guess.

Verys Arkon said:
Corrin (hafling paladin)
AC 20 (10 + 2 heavy shield + 8 plate)
Fort 13 (10 +2 Str, +1 paladin)
Ref 14 (10 +1 Dex, +2 heavy shield, +1 paladin)
Will 14 (10 +3 Cha, +1 paladin)​
Those strike me as some disappointingly low defenses for what is supposed to be a defensive bulwark. I hope he gets something like Divine Grace at higher levels...

HandofMystra

First Post
Very nice piece. I notice when trying to print the even then the odd pages (ot get double-sided) that the pagination was messed up somehow. I notice that there are two pages 5.
Under the Combat Modifiers list there is nothing for concealment.
IF you cannot make a ranged attack when blind (page 38), the "when you hit them with a Melee or Ranged attack" delete "or Ranged"
When I was at DDXP, I heard the rule for determining cover. "Pick any corner of the attacker's square. Draw lines to each corner of the target's square. If there are one or two corners blocked on these lines, the target has cover; if there are three or four blocked, the target has total cover." I think this is an elegant rule.

Last edited:

still on Paladin Challenge
in brief: the opponent still take radiant damage if don't reply to the challenge but the paladin must keep around the challenged opponent, cannot run away

Keith Baker in this enworld thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4136263&postcount=44

says:

Second, on the paladin's mark. It's not my place to reveal rules that haven't been revealed. However, I think that I can say that while the mark has changed, the fundamental concept of it - fight the paladin or take radiant damage - has not. The changes that have been made prevent some of the sillier situations seen before, where the paladin can mark someone and then runs away. Without getting into specifics,, the way I see the power is this. The paladin calls out the creature and says "These people are under my protection, villain. Face me, or feel the warth of the Silver Flame!" If the opponent meets the challenge, that's fine; the paladin is a divine champion, and the powers that he possesses have been granted to him to fight this battle. If the creature scoffs at the paladin and refuses to face him, he is scoffing at the paladin's gods - and then you get that radiant damage. It's not the paladin blasting the creature, it's the force that empowers him; the gods themselves are backing up the paladin's challenge. "Show courage and face our champion - or face our wrath." But the paladin himself has to back up the challenge. If he makes the challenge and then runs away - denying the enemy the CHANCE to fight him - the enemy won't be punished for ignoring him. So in my case, I was never in a position where the marked enemy lacked the ability to fight me. They could have chosen to ignore the mark and taken the damage. But especially as most of them were fairly weak creatures, they generallly chose to answer my challenge.

Revinor

First Post
Sample characters seems to be created using 28 points method, but you need to replace costs for 17 and 18 stats. It should be

17 = 13 points
18 = 15 points

With those costs, I think that everything adds up correctly.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Revinor said:
Sample characters seems to be created using 28 points method, but you need to replace costs for 17 and 18 stats. It should be

17 = 13 points
18 = 15 points

With those costs, I think that everything adds up correctly.

I tried these with Corrin and Erais, but I still can't get it to work out to 28 points. I will certainly change the PrRC (PHB "Lite") if someone can demonstrate how it works.

Corrin /PHBLite/3.5+Revinor
Str 14, +7, +6
Con 12, +4, +4
Dex 10, +2, +2 (+2 halfling adjustment excluded)
Int 9, +1, +1
Wis 16, +11, +10
Cha 14, +7, +6 (+2 halfling adjustment excluded)
Totals 32, 29

Erais
Str 14, +7, +6
Con 12, +4, +4
Dex 10, +2, +2
Int 12, +4, +4
Wis 16, +11, +10 (+2 human adjustment excluded)
Cha 12, +4, +4
Totals 32, 30

Verys Arkon

First Post

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this revision, either here or in other threads and boards.

CHANGED IN VERSION 1.3 (MARCH 31.08)
• Title changed from PHB “Lite” to 4e Pre-Release Rules Compilation (Patlin)
• Under Ability Scores, added “arrays” and “rolling”, from Andy Collin’s interview on “The Tome” podcast, Ep 52, March 22.
• +1 Healing Surges from Humans and Halflings removed, and added back to the cleric and paladin (as in v1.0) (Bayonet_Chris, Malcolm_n)
• Ranger’s Careful Strike power gains +4 attack, no bonus to damage (Plane Sailing, Ian O’Rourke).
• Noted possibility that several powers may grant “+/- ability modifier” instead of flat bonus/penalty: (Cleric) Priest’s Shield, Divine Fortune, (Paladin) Bolstering Strike, Holy Strike, Shielding Smite, (Warlock) Witchfire (Bayonet_Chris).
• Note in Warlock about the mystery +1 AC (unidentified at this time).
• Noted in Human race description that they probably get +2 to one ability (instead of two)
• Modified Half-elf bonus power to include possible stipulation that the power must come from a class list with a shared Power Source.
• Added text to paladin’s Divine Challenge “You must be actively engaging or moving to engage the marked creature in melee combat or the mark fades at the end of your turn.” (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=222679)
• Adjusted Wizard’s Ray of Frost to Int, instead of Dex, to hit and damage.
• Clarified charging and OAs.
• Monsters roll their recharge 1d6 checks at the start of their turn (Mouseferatu).
• Note in Weapon Damage and Standard Modifier that ½ level is not expected to be added to damage (Sir_Brennen).
• Weakened condition (same as ‘enervated’)
• Added Concealment entry in Combat, and changed Blinded and Invisible condition entries to reflect mechanic (Keterys, others).
• Added section on how to determine cover (HandofMystra)
• Internal consistency for escaping a grab (Silverwave)
• Spelling (Eladrin/Eldarin – FabioMilitoPagliara, coup de grace - Wormwood), formatting, page numbering and appearance improvements.

RigaMortus2

First Post
If he makes the challenge and then runs away - denying the enemy the CHANCE to fight him - the enemy won't be punished for ignoring him. So in my case, I was never in a position where the marked enemy lacked the ability to fight me. They could have chosen to ignore the mark and taken the damage. But especially as most of them were fairly weak creatures, they generallly chose to answer my challenge.

So what happens then if a Paladin marks the opponent, and then before that opponent gets to go he is somehow immobilized (or stunned) or knocked unconcious? He wants to get to the Paladin and fight him, but he is prevented from doing so by no fault of his own? Does he take the damage?

Remove ads