Extra Cohort Feat?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I've hit a snag. I've got a character concept and the idea requires two cohorts that have a rivalry with each other.

Somewhere I'm certain I saw a feat/prestige class/etc that gave an extra cohort while reducing the level of both cohorts some to compensate for the extra NPC. But I've got dozens of d20 books and hundreds of .pdfs and hunting through them could take forever.

Can anyone here at ENW point me in the right direction? I already know it isn't in HoB, and it's probably in a 3rd party publication though I can't remember which.

Jack Simth

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
I've hit a snag. I've got a character concept and the idea requires two cohorts that have a rivalry with each other.

Somewhere I'm certain I saw a feat/prestige class/etc that gave an extra cohort while reducing the level of both cohorts some to compensate for the extra NPC. But I've got dozens of d20 books and hundreds of .pdfs and hunting through them could take forever.

Can anyone here at ENW point me in the right direction? I already know it isn't in HoB, and it's probably in a 3rd party publication though I can't remember which.
Thrallherd, Expanded Psionics Handbook and the Psionic section of the SRD?

Drowbane

First Post
House Ruled Leadership: as is, except...

* Cohort at your level -2 plus followers
or
* Cohort at your level -1 without followers
or
* Multiple cohorts with a combined level equal to your own and no followers.

...additionally...

* I allow some of the weaker Leadership Feats to give add to your effective level (+2 or +3, depending on how lame the feat in question is as written) for determining the levels of your cohorts.
* Epic Leadership (which is kinda dumb as is): doubles your Cohort limit (its, you know, epic).

edit: I don't require the Epic Leadership to extend the Leadership table. That is, it goes up as shown in the ELH without the need of a precious [Epic] feat.

~~~

See what your DM thinks.

Last edited:

Corsair

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Thrallherd, Expanded Psionics Handbook and the Psionic section of the SRD?

Except your thralls are 100% obedient. If you order them to stop fighting, they will, no questions asked.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I'll probably run your options past him

I'm also thinking a custom feat that gives second cohort at 1/2 leader or gives 2 cohorts but both at leader-4. Maybe make both and see if either flies, the followers are unimportant so if they don't your version would be fine.

The general idea is a character who returns from the dead (not via a spell) and one cohort is new and acquired in his travels since this while the other was his original cohort. Neither really likes the other and they both see each other as rivals to prove they're the one truly dedicated.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Why not just take leadership feat twice? According to DMG P.104, "There are no limitations to the number of cohort who can be employed by a character."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Shin Okada said:
Why not just take leadership feat twice? According to DMG P.104, "There are no limitations to the number of cohort who can be employed by a character."
RAW, you can't take a feat twice unless the feat specifically says you can.

Cheers, -- N

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Shin Okada said:

The Leadership feat doesn't have text stating that it can be taken more than once. The section you're referring to also isn't referring to Leadership, specifically.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I cannot find a rule text specifically say so. In my understanding, a PC can take the same feat twice or more but that is usually meaningless.

FEAT NAME [TYPE OF FEAT]
Prerequisite: A minimum ability score, another feat or feats, a minimum base attack bonus, a minimum number of ranks in one or more skills, or a class level that a character must have in order to acquire this feat. This entry is absent if a feat has no prerequisite. A feat may have more than one prerequisite.
Benefit: What the feat enables the character (土ou・in the feat description) to do. If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description.
In general, having a feat twice is the same as having it once.
Normal: What a character who does not have this feat is limited to or restricted from doing. If not having the feat causes no particular drawback, this entry is absent.
Special: Additional facts about the feat that may be helpful when you decide whether to acquire the feat.

Then Leadership feat in PHB has a Special column which just says,

Check with your DM before selecting this feat, and work with your DM to determine an appropriate cohort and followers for your character (the Dungeon Master's Guide has more information on cohorts and followers).

Then, DMG says,

There are no limitations to the number of cohort who can be employed by a character.

This entry is about Cohorts, not other type of Friends and allied characters. This is the same entry where xp and treasure share of a cohort is described.

So you guys are saying that there are generic "cohorts" by the rule, who does not need Leadership or similar feat?

krupintupple

First Post
Drowbane said:
House Ruled Leadership: as is, except...

* Cohort at your level -2 plus followers
or
* Cohort at your level -1 without followers

See what your DM thinks.

hmm. i'm the DM of my campaign and I think that's pretty fair - i've never liked 3e followers as it leaves me dealing with a huge horde of nobodies and i feel it really bogs the game down. i rule that leadership only brings a single cohort. does anyone have any experience with the above and how it plays out in the game?

Remove ads