Extra Cohort Feat?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Drowbane said:
Or in allowing it to be taken once for multiple cohorts? :p No where does it state (PHB or DMG) that you must take another feat to gain those elusive additional cohorts... right?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#leadership

SRD said:
Cohort Level

The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself. The cohort should be equipped with gear appropriate for its level. (...)
This bold stuff here indicates you get one Cohort as a benefit of the Leadership feat.

SRD said:
Caused the death of a cohort: -2*
* Cumulative per cohort killed.
... and this shows clearly how you can get your second Cohort: by causing the death of the first. You could probably talk a reasonable DM into allowing you to dismiss your current Cohort to get a new one, but that's not called out in the rules.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
HeavenShallBurn said:
I've hit a snag. I've got a character concept and the idea requires two cohorts that have a rivalry with each other.
Must they be cohorts, or could one be an Improved Familiar?

Must they be cohorts, or could they be two other PCs who are technically your subordinates in an organization? (Requires cooperation of other players.)

Cheers, -- N

Shin Okada

Explorer
Nifft said:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#leadership

This bold stuff here indicates you get one Cohort as a benefit of the Leadership feat.

... and this shows clearly how you can get your second Cohort: by causing the death of the first. You could probably talk a reasonable DM into allowing you to dismiss your current Cohort to get a new one, but that's not called out in the rules.

Cheers, -- N

Ah then I agree that there should be one cohort.

Well, if so, one RAW way for the original poster is to take a Leadership feat and another feat which gives a cohort, like Dragon Cohort.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
When your Cohort takes the Leadership feat and attracts his own Cohort, said Cohort is under command of your Cohort, who in turn, takes "orders" from you. In such an arrangement, could the original PC be considered to have two cohorts?

irdeggman

First Post
Shin Okada said:
But DMG actually says a character can have multiple cohort.

Maybe, strictly by RAW, Drowbane's interpretation is the right answer. Actually, the leadership feat (DMG P.106) does not strictly says that a PC can attract "one" cohort. And DMG P.104 says "There are no limitations to the number of cohort who can be employed by a character."

That is how I read it for a long time.

But I got a reply from Cust Serv (which is the lowest source on my list of authoritative sources) that said only 1 at a time.

This is a similar response to what several others have gotten from Cust Serv also (different responders).

This "clarification" works with the rules.

The feat gives you one cohort.

You are allowed to keep on replacing that cohort with no limit on the number of times it can be replaced.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Monte Cook is of the opinion that Leadership was always intended as a feat you could take more than once, with each feat granting an extra cohort. In his house games, it was a popular feat.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mistwell said:
Monte Cook is of the opinion that Leadership was always intended as a feat you could take more than once, with each feat granting an extra cohort. In his house games, it was a popular feat.
In the opinion of my players, it's the best feat ever. They consider it to be strong to the point of broken. (Each of them has taken it, too.)

Dunno if I'm going to take Monte's word for this one.

Cheers, -- N

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
The DM has spoken! She'll allow me to take Leadership twice, but the second one will grant only a cohort and will reduce the level of both cohorts by 1.

Which is okay by me as they aren't really supposed to be combat monsters in their own right. They're more a "living" background element of the PC, and since there are only 3 players a couple somewhat lower level support characters would be helpful. Original cohort will be a cleric and the followers the sole survivors of his razed manor. Second cohort will be a ranger he befriended on his journey back to the prime material from the afterlife.

Starting at lvl 11 Party will be
  1. My PC-Wizard
  2. Cohort 1-Cleric
  3. Cohort 2-Ranger
  4. 2nd PC-Artificer
  5. 3rd PC-Fighter

Remove ads