Redclaw's Secret of Castle Whiterock

Redclaw

First Post
It seems like a normal day in the small city of Cillimar. The streets are filling with people by the time you enter them, and it is evident that this is a thriving community.

[sblock=Freya] You know of several epic poems of the gnomes of the Clockwork Academy, and your knowledge of history tells you that the gnomish civilization fell several centuries ago to an invading force of orcs, members of the Broken Tusk clan. In fact, one of your ancestors was lost when the Academy fell, although other members of his family escaped. It has long been your father’s desire that you find out what happened to this ancestor, one Giddleson Silverheel, and hopefully recover the family heirloom that he brought with him, a magical dagger with special properties. You have recently arrived in Cillimar, a city close to the rumored location of the ancient settlement. The innkeeper at the tavern you are staying at suggested that you find someone familiar with the mountains to help your search, and pointed you to Market Square as a place to begin your search. [/sblock]

[sblock=Talon] The Wolf Clan was wiped out by the Broken Tusk clan in another example of orc-fights-orc. You have learned, thanks to Aledrae, that the Broken Tusk clan has lived for generations in the mountains not far from Cillimar, which is where you now find yourself. It didn’t take you long to notice that most of the folk of Cillimar eye you with distrust. One of the few who would speak with you suggested you might find information about the Broken Tusks by talking to dwarven traders, most likely to be found in Market Square. [/sblock]

[sblock=Rungner] You have recently arrived in Cillimar, the first sizeable settlement you encountered after escaping the circus. You have found a poor tavern willing to house you, but work seems harder to come by. The innkeeper suggested you might find something by going to Market Square today.[/sblock]

[sblock=Elwyn] You have lived for several years in Cillimar, and know its struggles well. It is indeed thriving, but it also seems to be constantly under threat from humanoids living in the wilds of the mountains, and from millennia of history and ruins buried in those same mountains. As usual, you are at Market Square spreading the word and light of Pelor. This morning is a little different than most in that you have been approached by several people asking your help in finding their lost children. It seems a number of younglings have gone missing in the past few weeks, and all attempts to track the kidnappers have proven futile, as any sign of them disappears a short way into the mountains. [/sblock]

[sblock=Tulbar] Kurgar was from a clan known as the Broken Tusks, and in helping the elves turn back the horde, you discovered several ancient items linked to something called the Clockwork Academy. With the help of the elves, you researched this place and found that it was an ancient gnomish settlement that had disappeared hundreds of years ago. You found its general location, and have come to closest town, Cillimar. While many know of the Broken Tusks, you have not yet found anyone with specific knowledge. One person suggested that you visit Market Square this morning to talk to some dwarven traders who just came in to town yesterday.[/sblock]

[sblock=Weasel] You have heard rumors of an ancient gnomish settlement, Clockwork Academy, which was rumored to have an extensive school of psionics. Intrigued, you have decided to search for this settlement, or its ruins. It has taken you several years of study to estimate its location in the mountains just outside the current town of Cillimar, and so you have traveled here to continue your search. You have decided to start your search in the busy central square, as you have found that busy areas often hold the most information.[/sblock]
It seems like a normal day in the small city of Cillimar. The streets are filling with people by the time you enter them, and it is evident that this is a thriving community. The marketplace, filling the square at the center of the city, is bustling with a healthy trade. Colorful stalls fill the area and the loud calls of their owners reach you well before you round the final corner.

It takes a while to find what you’re looking for, but whatever it is this is the most likely place to discover it. After wandering through the crowd for only ten minutes or so, you are drawn to the southern edge of the square by the excited shouting of a hundred voices. There you find a man wearing the colors of the city guard. He stands in front of an angry crowd, shouting for his attention. Listening to their shouts you gather that many of them are missing children, and that all of them want the city guard to do something about the situation.

Good people, please let me speak,” the guardsman shouts again. After several such entreaties, the crowd finally quiets and the man continues. “The council has heard your concerns, and they are working to help you. We have sent trackers to find trails into the mountains, but all have returned with no trail to follow. Whatever is happening, it is beyond their ability to discover. We have sent for more experienced hunters from other lands, but it will take time.”

He pauses and pulls out a sheet of vellum, reading it as if to make sure that he has the next piece of information correct. “The council has also decided to send forth anyone brave enough to search the mountains for the children. Without a trail to follow, their chances aren’t great, but it’s the best we can do for now. So,” he holds the sheet of vellum aloft. “By order of the City Council, a daily fee of 2 gold per person will be paid to any adventurers willing to journey into the mountains, with an additional bounty of 20 gold for each of the currently missing children returned to the people of Cillimar. Are there any who will take the city’s offer?”

Walking Dad

First Post
Tulbar

An heavy loaded halfling looks up at the guard and it seems he want to raise his hand.

"Damn, Tulbar, you cannot help everyone. Perhaps after finding these dwarf merchants heard of. But this is not the way I should follow. There were many children in my old village, I was one of them. If not for the elves who helped me...", he thinks.

"I'm Tulbar. I will help if I can. But I can go tomorrow at the earliest." he declares before he continues to look for the dwarf merchants.

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
A loathsome looking orc wearing animal skins shouts out:
"I am Talon; last of the Wolf Clan. You people to not trust me but I need your help. I will find your missing pups. All I ask you help me find the Broken Tooth Clan in return and not have your doors locked upon my approach and my questions met with fear."
He then bared his fangs in what he thought was a smile. But in reality looked even more menacing and feral.

Walking Dad

First Post
hero4hire said:
"... help me find the Broken Tooth Clan in return ..."
Hearing the feral orc's words, Tulbar turns around in an instant. "You said Broken Tooth Clan. Is this clan related to the Broken Tusks?"

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Walking Dad said:
Hearing the feral orc's words, Tulbar turns around in an instant. "You said Broken Tooth Clan. Is this clan related to the Broken Tusks?"

The Barbaric looking Orc nodded. "That is the word yes. My knowledge of your tongue is...incomplete. I had heard some...Dwarf? Yes Dwarfs might know where they are."

Walking Dad

First Post
"I heard of this dwarf merchants, too. But before we proceed, what is your relation to the Tusks?" The halfling asks with a stern stare.

covaithe

Explorer
"I will help find the children," Elwyn says, stepping forward. He turns to address the rest of the assembled crowd. "Please, any of you with the means to do so, I encourage you to step forward and aid us in this. As the sunlight shines on us all, so must we all sometimes help each other. And, as you have heard, there are other rewards as well."

hero4hire

Explorer
Walking Dad said:
"I heard of this dwarf merchants, too. But before we proceed, what is your relation to the Tusks?" The halfling asks with a stern stare.

"My...relation?" Talon's brow furrowed in contemplation. "I am their enemy!" he then said simply. "There is nothing but blood between us."

WarShrike

First Post
"20 gold you say? Hmmm. How many are missing exactly? chimes in a diminutive Gnome, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, as if performing some daunting mental calculations. Suddenly, his head snaps up, and he addresses the guard anew: "Oh, hey! Before there are any misunderstandings, about the bounty for returned children, you didn't specify if it only applied to living children, and not bodies. Y'know, cuz if they're dead and whatnot, and i/we bring them back, i don't want to hear any kinda "Well, i meant alive, so you don't get squat" stuff, y'know?" The Gnome waits expectantly on the guard's answer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases