GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2, continued

"Stay where you are, Lara! Help is on the way!" Octavio shouts as he tries feinting the cat before thrusting toward it. The beast is deceived by the feint, but Octavio's attack misses anyway.

Jinx quickly fires again, his bolt sinking to the fletching into the beast's chest. The great cat sways on its feet, looking ready to drop at any moment.

Thargon steps to the northeast, trying to get behind the creature. "Ne'er tairn yer back aun a dwairf, ye daft kit," he shouts, burying his axe in the beast's powerful thigh. It falls, and does not rise again.

Serana rushes forward, touching her glowing hand to William's wounds. The magic flows into them, knitting flesh and bone and restoring the warrior to consciousness. (ooc: cures 7.)

End combat

After making sure that William is in no immediate danger of dying, Serana hurriedly casts a lesser spell of healing on Tankard, backing him away from death's door as well. (cures 1) Then she rushes to the back of the cave, where high above the ground a dim ledge can be seen.

The ledge is some 20 feet above the ground. The wall beneath it is nearly vertical, a smooth natural stone slab that would be difficult to climb. Several feet from the wall is a thin stalagmite that ascends about halfway to the height of the ledge, before breaking off cleanly. Around the base of the cave wall are freshly broken pieces of what used to be the rest of the stalagmite.

"Lara, are you hurt? Can you talk to mommy, please?" Serana calls, her voice pleading.

"I got an owwie, when the rock tree fell over, mommy. I don't know how to get down." A little girl's head appears over the edge of the ledge, looking exhausted and scared.

"Stay back from the edge, baby! We'll come and get you! Don't worry, everything will be okay" Serana says quickly. Her voice is confident, reassuring, but her eyes dart helplessly around the cave looking for a way up. She casts a pleading glance at the party, her eyes shining in the lantern light.

jaker2003

Explorer
Tank carefully rubs his wounds and surveys the cliff wall. To no one in perticular, "If we had pitons, I could easily climb this wall."
Tank turns to his companions, "Did anyone think to bring rope or pitons?"

Tank then calls up towards Lara, "Is there anything up there that we can wrap a rope around?!"
If he gets an affirmitive answer, he asks, "Can it hold me?"

SRD said:
Making Your Own Handholds and Footholds
You can make your own handholds and footholds by pounding pitons into a wall. Doing so takes 1 minute per piton, and one piton is needed per 3 feet of distance. As with any surface that offers handholds and footholds, a wall with pitons in it has a DC of 15.

Heckler

First Post
"I don't have any climbing gear, I'm afraid," Octavio replies to Tank, dropping his voice so the child can't hear. "Since she doesn't appear to be in immediate danger, let's take careful stock of our situation before doing anything rash. How difficult would it be to climb the stalagmite? That would get us halfway there. Worst case scenario we can wait until morning then go back to town for supplies."

" If we can get her to jump, does anyone have a blanket or something to catch her in? The best I have is my bedroll."

ooc: How difficult is it to climb the stalagmite?
How far is the top of the stalagmite from the cliff?
How "tall" is the cat corpse?
Octavio will do a careful search of the cavern to see if there is anything else useful in here.

Last edited:

Kenku17

First Post
As William gets up in a not too happy mood, and gives the cat corpse a quick kick.

Happy with that little release on anger, he thanks phalen, and then looks to the group. "I unfortunently didn't bring any climbing gear either, although I volunteer as first up if needed."

Robichaud

Explorer
After the battle, and after he's seen the downed party members will live, Jinx spends a quiet moment relaxing, and wiping the sweat off his brow. "That was a close call.. could'a gone south real easy. Grendath's surely smilin' on us."

Tank turns to his companions, "Did anyone think to bring rope or pitons?"
"Pitons..? Nah, ah'm no mountain climber. But I did bring some good rope. Did.. none of ya bring any rope..?" He looks at the others in vague disbelief; but then gives his head a shake, and takes a coil of sleek silk rope from his pack. "..ne'er mind. Here it is."

jaker2003

Explorer
Tank, Orc Barbarian

"I unfortunently didn't bring any climbing gear either, although I volunteer as first up if needed."
"I am an experienced climber." Tank has 4 ranks in Climb, and a total bonus of +10 without his armor.
"That was a close call.. could'a gone south real easy. Grendath's surely smilin' on us."
Tank nods and murmurs, "Grendath's grace."
"Pitons..? Nah, ah'm no mountain climber. But I did bring some good rope. Did.. none of ya bring any rope..?" He looks at the others in vague disbelief; but then gives his head a shake, and takes a coil of sleek silk rope from his pack. "..ne'er mind. Here it is."
"I thought everyone else would have rope, why should I bother? Though, now I believe I should have at least bought pitons before setting out."

Tank is still waiting for Lara's response.

covaithe

Explorer
Lara's voice wafts down in response to Tank's question. "I don't know. I can't see anything to tie a rope to. It's dark up here."

Octavio searches the cave. There are many piles of bones of various ages and kinds scattered haphazardly around the cave, mostly from small animals, but some of human size. In one pile, he sees an enticing gleam of metal reflecting off of his lantern. Investigating further he discovers the several month old corpse of a human warrior, still dressed in a slightly tarnished breastplate. A shattered shield and crushed helmet lie at his side alongside a serviceable longsword, mute testament to his last moments. At his waist is an encouragingly plump leather purse.

Eyeing the stalagmite, he can see that it could be climbed more easily than the wall, but the peak of it is perhaps five feet horizontally from the wall, and about ten feet below the ledge vertically.

The cat corpse is an impressive specimen, perhaps eight feet from head to haunches, with another three feet of tail. In life it stood over five feet tall at the shoulders.

ooc: Sorry, I missed Tank's question the first time.

Heckler

First Post
"Hello, lads, come have a look at this," Octavio says as he calls the party over to the warrior's corpse. Dropping his voice so Lara can't hear he'll continue, "What should we do with him? Maybe you could say a little something, Father?"

Octavio will check the purse to see what it contains.

Robichaud

Explorer
Ignoring Octavio for the moment, Jinx goes to fetch his Everburning Lantern first. Back at the foot of the ledge, he ties one end of the rope to its handle, then calls up. "I'm bringin' up a lantern and some rope, Lara! Can you grab it when it comes floatin' by..?"

He sets the assembly down. Concentrates for a few seconds, and just like that, it goes floating up towards the ledge, casting light and shifting shadows on it as it rises.

((One use of Far Hand to get it up to the ledge, and Jinx is out of PSPs for the day.))

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases