Alignment/Multiclassing/DM Screen/Power Source From I-Con

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
These are my recollections from the Con. (Mearls and Slaviscek)

1) Multiclassing.

It does not seem to take the form of "taking levels" in the other class. You definitely get powers appropriate to you current level. Mike Mearls specifically that there was a table telling you what you got for going "this much into" another class. You could then get more stuff by "going deeper". He did not specify what the trade off was for multiclassing.

2) DM Screen.

The DM Screen will have tables that have the basic target DCs and damage for appropriate leveled traps. It will focus on giving a DM the info to basically run on the fly with no books. (I assume there will be a similar charts with monster stats, but that is only my speculation.)

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
1) Multiclassing.

It does not seem to take the form of "taking levels" in the other class. You definitely get powers appropriate to you current level. Mike Mearls specifically that there was a table telling you what you got for going "this much into" another class. You could then get more stuff by "going deeper". He did not specify what the trade off was for multiclassing.

Huh, now that is interesting. That could turn out quite neat, be like showing how much effort you have delved into that specific class and so have learned so much.

Yeah multi-classing is my 'if we had the Rouse on the water board' question. So, a table detailing the effects of m-c. Mmmm, that certainly restricts what they can do with future classes because they will all have to comply with a template to allow m-c (and I suppose other things). Still it sounds really interesting, I hope it works :)
This is (probably) telling us that classes will advance and gain powers/features etc in a very uniform way. Hopefully that makes custom classes easy to make. Also hopefully we won't see an avalanche of classes in splats etc that have little to differentiate them. It will take a fair bit of work to make a full, different interesting class (i.e. a dozen or so features and 80 or so powers, I suppose) you can't just use the wizard's/cleric's/etc spell list like in 3E! I really hope that the classes don't end up as bad and as boring as the bloodlines from UA *BARF*

Vempyre

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
These are my recollections from the Con. (Mearls and Slaviscek)

1) Multiclassing.

One more step toward confirmation of what I think multiclassing will be. I still think you take feats, and that they are feat chains, and how much of them you have decides how deep your are multiclassed.

Jack99

Adventurer
Vempyre said:
One more step toward confirmation of what I think multiclassing will be. I still think you take feats, and that they are feat chains, and how much of them you have decides how deep your are multiclassed.

Disco!

i still would see a second option of 3.5-like multiclassing. If you really want to go into a complete diferent direction. With the unified progressions, it should be quite easy to implent.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
UngeheuerLich said:
i still would see a second option of 3.5-like multiclassing. If you really want to go into a complete diferent direction. With the unified progressions, it should be quite easy to implent.

I think that if you "really want to go into a completely different direction", you'll be using the rebuilding options they've hinted at. Thus, if you start as a fighter with some wizard elements but decide you'd rather be more of a wizard, you could rebuild as a wizard with some fighter elements.

This is speculation, mind; IANADOP (I Am Not A Designer or Playtester).

LordArchaon

Explorer
mach1.9pants said:
Yeah multi-classing is my 'if we had the Rouse on the water board' question. So, a table detailing the effects of m-c. Mmmm, that certainly restricts what they can do with future classes because they will all have to comply with a template to allow m-c (and I suppose other things). Still it sounds really interesting, I hope it works :)
This is (probably) telling us that classes will advance and gain powers/features etc in a very uniform way. Hopefully that makes custom classes easy to make. Also hopefully we won't see an avalanche of classes in splats etc that have little to differentiate them. It will take a fair bit of work to make a full, different interesting class (i.e. a dozen or so features and 80 or so powers, I suppose) you can't just use the wizard's/cleric's/etc spell list like in 3E! I really hope that the classes don't end up as bad and as boring as the bloodlines from UA *BARF*
Matthew L. Martin said:
I think that if you "really want to go into a completely different direction", you'll be using the rebuilding options they've hinted at. Thus, if you start as a fighter with some wizard elements but decide you'd rather be more of a wizard, you could rebuild as a wizard with some fighter elements.

This is speculation, mind; IANADOP (I Am Not A Designer or Playtester).

About class creation, yeah, it will have to take an extra effort to implement the multiclass abilities.
For example, if I want to post my own custom class and let other be able to "dip" into it, I'll have to create a table that specifies what you get with the first dip, what you get if you want to go further. It may seem difficult, but once we'll see the rules, it might be as simple as every other development for 4e we've seen to date (monster and races for example are really easy to develop!).

The way the classes will advance is surely mostly uniform. Only the few key class features (like rogue's sneak attack) are a little more arbitrary.
But yes, from what I see, developing custom classes will be easier. Or better, it will be easier to make them follow the quality standards, not necessarily be simpler, since you now HAVE to develop a whole power list of at least 60 powers.
Good thing is that you can start by making the heroic tier progression and then add the other tiers once you're sure that the first is balanced. Good idea for my first custom 4e class.

About classes in splatbooks, I'm pretty sure that books such as Martial Power won't have new classes, only new Paragon Paths and new powers for existing classes. And that's a wise choice: new classes relegated to new PhBs that come annually and with a higher probability of having REAL QUALITY content (classes).

About classes ending up as boring as bloodlines, it has been a little of a concern to me too. Initially, the most demanding players I think we'll see them like that, after some months of initial excitement. But "splatbooks" adding new powers and options are just made to "feed" those type of players (like me).

About retraining, being multiclassing like this, it will be really necessary. Because if at some point you see that more than being a Wizard with Fighter training you want to be a Fighter with Wizard training, you should have means of trading your Wizard levels for Fighter levels and your Fighter training feats for Wizard training feats. I hope they'll make rules for this kind of situation that I would call "surpassing the multiclass threshold"...

In the end, I'm so teased that I'm really counting the days towards June the 6th.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Charwoman Gene said:
2) DM Screen.

The DM Screen will have tables that have the basic target DCs and damage for appropriate leveled traps. It will focus on giving a DM the info to basically run on the fly with no books. (I assume there will be a similar charts with monster stats, but that is only my speculation.)
Imagine running a game with combats, social encounters, treasures, and all the crunch you expect in a good game, but without having to consult a book the entire evening.

If it promised that, I would buy the DM screen.

frankthedm

First Post
UngeheuerLich said:
Since 4E specifically tries to give the first level character a LOT of cool stuff to do, if they let you pick up a second class suite of abilities at second level, it would be flat out broken. One CAN’T let someone have the full arsenal of rogue and ranger striker powers at 2nd level.

Remove ads