• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection from Paralysis/Protection from Charm spells: What level?

Forrester

First Post
Trolling for opinions . . .

We've got spells to resist death magic, spells to resist damage, spells to resist energy damage . . . it seems to me that it would make sense to have a spell or to to resist (or completely prevent) paralysis (i.e., Hold Person, Hold Monster) or charm/mind-affecting spells (Charm Person, Charm Monster, Suggestion, etc).

But what level, do you think? Remove Paralysis is a lousy 2nd level spell . . . I can't imagine that Prevent Paralysis (one minute/level) should be more than 3rd level. Ditto Protection/Resistance to Charm effects.

For instance, say a spell gives a +8 bonus to saves vs all mind-affecting effects, lasts one minute/level -- 3rd level spell? 4th level if it was ten minutes/level?

Opins?

Crothian

First Post
I think third is about right for both of these. Just make so they can be cast on other people as well, so it cannot be made persistant. :D

Geoff Watson

First Post
Mental Strength is a 3rd level Shaman/Sohei spell in OA. It gives +8 to Will saves and lasts 1 round per level.

Protection form Charm is a 2nd level Wu Jen spell that lasts 1 round per level, and gives a +1 per 3 levels bonus on saves against Charm and Compulsion spells.

Geoff.

Remove ads