Too many vampires

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Protector_corwin said:
It is not that they are stronger..they are intelligent undead just like a lich...and have standard intelligence not some god awful high intelligence

But, they *are* stronger. Inhuman strength, to go with the literal meaning of the word. Plus their abilities and the special stuff that has to be done to kill them and make sure they stay dead.
Intelligence really doesn't figure in. Well, it can - but that all depends on the character and player. I'm sure a vampire can have intelligence as a dump stat; that doesn't make them less of a vampire. The abilities and undead status are really more important, as far as fighting them goes.

And, you rarely ever see a vampire who's a twinkie. I can't really think of any. They are snerts far more often. Why? Well, they're darn tough to kill and have a slew of special abilities, so it's easy to pull the 'you can't kill me' bit. Which really makes fights rather unfun and pointless for anyone facing off with them.

For those to whom the term 'snert' is unfamiliar, I have seen the same actions being called "god moding".

BRANDIA

First Post
Vincent I remember well. Lovely chap . Kept a dungeon full of convicted criminals to keep himself topped up on. I also remember him having a wife and children . Big cuddly daddy of a guy.. very good with the children I played back then.

BRANDIA

First Post
oh and yeah..I have nothing against people playing vamps anyway they like.. the good the bad and the ewwwww gross. If I don't want to play the game I use my freedom of destiny and have my girls avoid eye contact. It might be anoying for them when they want fast food but there are always plenty of romantic girlies who go in for all that domination stuff. Live and let unlive is what I say... be happy!

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Sienna_Rose said:
so it's easy to pull the 'you can't kill me' bit. Which really makes fights rather unfun and pointless for anyone facing off with them.

So the theory is, that Ariel, as a vampire, and me as a player of said nibbler, should openly offer her up for slayin' to make the slayers look good? *Chuckles* I think the you cant kill me bit is more down to the fact that no one really wants their hard work murdered. (Again with that grey IC/OOC area) BAH! Even I am guilty!

And on that note, if folk go attacking vampires, with the slay you in one stroke routine, I dont blame them for not taking damage. I'm pretty sure it's well proven that I actually enjoy Ariel getting -owned- in a fight. But as soon at the stakes come out, she's outa there!

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
So the theory is, that Ariel, as a vampire, and me as a player of said nibbler, should openly offer her up for slayin' to make the slayers look good? *Chuckles* I think the you cant kill me bit is more down to the fact that no one really wants their hard work murdered. (Again with that grey IC/OOC area) BAH! Even I am guilty!

And on that note, if folk go attacking vampires, with the slay you in one stroke routine, I dont blame them for not taking damage. I'm pretty sure it's well proven that I actually enjoy Ariel getting -owned- in a fight. But as soon at the stakes come out, she's outa there!

Oh, no, I don't mean they have to lie down and die (again, since they're undead).
And the single strike auto kills are just as bad as the 'you can't touch me'. It's like. . .the old kid game of Cops and Robbers. "Bam, I shot you, you're dead." "Nuh-uh, you missed!" Extremes of both sides gets tiresome.

Eryk

First Post
That's one of the reasons I could never get too terribly into playing hunter characters when I had them. It's easy enough to say, 'Well, I've been hunting the undead for 'x' number of years, I have powers of my own and I'm a force to be reckoned with and yadda yadda', but when it comes right down to it...you can't kill someone else's character without their say-so. So no matter how good your slayer may or may not be in all intents and purposes of their back story...it doesn't matter. They're still going to have to co-habit the Tavern, (for example) peacefully (for the most part) with the same creatures they supposedly have a vendetta of some sort against. Talk about on the job frustration. Damnable Freedom of Destiny always getting in the way. ;)

And yes, quite a few people are very nice and will let you beat up on their leeches to an extent, at least most people that I've ever interacted with have been so curtious. They're not, however, going to let you just turn their beloved character into ash merely because it satisfies -your- character's expectations. And they shouldn't. There's an investment of emotion and time in our favorite characters, and it shouldn't ever be able to be yanked unceremoniously out from under one's feet. However, on the flip side of that, it comes back to the earlier point which I'll reiterate for those of you sitting in the back: you CANNOT KILL THEM. So I guess in a sense they are, in all technical aspects, invulnerable. Like every other character played in every other room available on ISRP. Yes, you can mess them up a bit, but at the end of the day, you'll just have to do it again, and again, and again every time you see them (working from the standpoint of a generic, obsessive vampire hunter who wouldn't just let it drop after a while), and that leads to nothing but grief. Maybe you don't want your character tied up in the same endless story of trouncing a leech just to have it bounce back up again. Maybe -they- want to play their own storylines without some hunter sneaking up and trying to have a stake barbeque every time they take their vampire into the tavern. And really, what self respecting hunter is going to say, "All right, mister blood-sucking monster. Now that you've had a good thrashing, I'm sure you've learned your lesson and we can leave it there.'

Bah. I've never had the patience required to play a character who would take such dedication and effort just to not be a frustrating experience. Of course, I am very, very lazy, which could account for quite a bit of that. ;)

Towey

First Post
Now see wouldn't it be cool if people started play Vampire Spawn?

-Promptly gets removed by many black suited men and women in sunglasses-

[This has been yet another useless filler post by the player of one Towey. The orignal post has been censured due to off-topicness and the possible inflammatory remarks that could be made about it, him, and liches. We apologize for this inconveinance.

- The Management ]

Warbridge

First Post
Snert... Oh my, I think I'm getting a little misty with nostalgia. I was beginning to think that the old words had blown away like dust in the wind.

Apologies if the last post got a bit dense, I'm not supposed to write after 2am lest I run the risk of injuring myself or any potential audience. Two words to explain that: no proofreading. I will happily take terms like insightful and humorous; much better than "Quiet you."

What we're getting into is not about people who play vampires as a whole, but how to interact fairly with those that seem to flout the rules and feel they should be allowed to walk over whoever they like simply because they have the special dental plan. I don't think we're talking about the long term players whose understanding and play of their character has aged like a fine wine. We're not talking about the vampires that artfully deceive to appear like practically every other patron in the bar. Let's stick with the ones that bare their fangs all the time and flaunt their undeath like every night is dollar night at the movies.

The setting rules say that inhuman monsters and vampires need to mask their appearance in such a way to blend in. Smiling with a big old toothy grin then puffing into a cloud isn't what is usually called blending. The Tavern is set in an area where the locals don't look too kindly on monsters and unhuman creatures tromping through their fields. I'm all about playing around with the rules to unearth role playing opportunities: it's all about the story for me. Having a bunch of yahoos that can't keep 'em in their mouth because they think being a vampire means not having anything to fear or worry about kills the suspension of disbelief for others. And let me tell you, if you think being a vampire means not having anything to fear then you should do some reasearch on what angry mobs have done throughout history. Speaking on the subject of vampire lore, the peasants have found all kinds of interesting ways to kill a vampire and make it stick. Maybe vampires are strong, but they aren't stronger than fifty armed men that are intent on beheading said bloodsucker, sprinkling the wounds with holy water, stuffing garlic in the mouth, burying the body upside down next to a crossroads, and finishing off the night by flambeing the garlic stuffed head.

All I ever advocate is everyone having as level a playing ground to work with as possible. Considering the differences in game rules, character concepts, and play styles that is often asking a whole lot. If I'm trying to be fair to others when I'm playing then rubbing my nose in it by showing off your pointy pearlies is poor form.

As for the hunters and stakes flying in the face of a vampire RPer's emotional attachment to their character, I say color this as an opportunity. I never said anyone should run around willy nilly plunging a stake into anything with sharper than average canines. No one gets anywhere beyond being tossed in the river that way, and it would likely evoke some kind of group response from the vampire RPer's as they start feeling persecuted. What I'm talking about is a chance for vampires to do a little more than sit about idly and brood or take a nibble from the next wide-eyed thing that passes by. It's a role filled with the beat of leather wings in the blackest night, a little silk or velvet, and the whole thing dripping of sex and blood, but often it is played like a couple people chatting down at Starbucks over mochas. Live a little, or embrace the undeath, whatever floats your boat.

The hunters and the stakes are not necessarily literal. There are plenty of ways you can make anyone uncomfortable in a social situation, let alone making the unlife awkward for those with solar allergies. The challenge is to play the role and sew a little dischord without bruising anyone's real feelings. Beyond the opportunities for story and role play there are other considerations. If I had a quarter for every time I've heard "you don't know how to kill a vampire" I'd be looking for a Coinstar machine or rolling those coins up for the bank. Maybe I had it backwards all this time and the vampire wasn't the problem. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about my role; could it be I gave the impression I was playing Joe Pitchfork the local farmer? I've played soldiers, spies, assassins, priests, witches, scouts, wizards, and yes even vampires when the story requires it: the one thing I think I should know how to do is ensure the undead are properly re-inhumed.

Vampires are powerful in both physical strength and special abilities. Vampires are also stealthy and subtle. Being brazenly open about the vampiric nature of a character could be considered as the character being suicidal. It is a bar filled with experienced adventurers that kill monsters on a regular basis. These people sell the treasure and body parts of dead monsters for beer money. Vampires should be cautious of such situations, assuming they want to be old vampires.

I say should, would, and maybe an awful lot. It isn't because I'm indecisive. I won't tell anyone how to play their character, but my characters lock horns with any character than can't offer a plausible story beyond "I'm a monster! Rarr!" then I honestly walk away from that interaction feeling like I've wasted part of my night. It's discouraging for no other reason that I am there to entertain and be entertained, and so is everyone else there.

War

"The pointy end goes into the other man..." - Zorro, The Mask of Zorro

Last edited:

Ruthia

First Post
Just a point of intrest. Even us long term players have our characters that are flaunty of what and who they are that they deserve to be beaten with a dumb stick. Heck I've even see a few Magi play ones I felt needed to be shot in the head :) We all have our stupid characters. I got two :p

Warbridge

First Post
True, Ruthia. We all get a little silly or full of ourselves sometimes. A reset switch in the form of a clue-by-four usually gets us back to rights.

I think everyone knows that there is a particular type of inconsiderate player that we're talking about and not every person who ever played a vampire or hurled a fireball as a wizard. No one is applying what is said across the entire group of vampires or any other group of players.

Remove ads