Too many vampires

Recently I have seen an increase in the amount of vampires that come into the tavern....it seems that 8 out of ten characters are vampires. Why must there be so many?

alleykatt

First Post
Well I am not a vampire, nor do i have a vampire charcter but I imagine that with the popularity of vampire romances and thier ilk that many people think it is cool to be a vampire. Since 90% of them do not follow any limitations of true vampires in accordance with the literature they are pulling these charcters from there is no *drawbacks* as they see it to being one. It is a sad state really since most of the vampires are very open to people that they are vampires the rules protect them from us really doing much about them.

Midna

First Post
Like alley said simple as it being popular. It's like... having pokemon cards when they were cool, have to have em'. So like vampires right now they are cool so people want to be cool and have the cool character. Just a popular creature right now.

Vampires popularity went out right after queen of the damned was made...lol...I see vampires out in sunlight with no ill effect...nor do I see them hiding who they are like alleykatt has said

Tharivious

First Post
I wouldn't say that movie killed the popularity at all, and I doubt if White Wolf's sales would either (if anything, I believe sales on Vampire: the Requiem have likely increased in the 4E announcement era from gamers wanting to invest in something else when 3.5 goes out of active print - another possible factor). I will, however, point the finger at Moonlight (that recent vampire detective drama from CBS) on adding fuel to the fire of some of these daywalkers (likewise on feeling the need to admit what they are - I've only seen snippets of the show, but in two out of those three attempts at watching it, the main vampire was talking about what he was with a normal human). Every time literature or pop culture gives another example of a way for vampires to ignore their intended weaknesses, someone will think the ideas are good, pick them up, and run with it. Then it'll fade, and things will go back to the way they were.

Like the others have said, it's just the natural cycle of trends and fads, turning back to an old standby, especially with vampires' self-propagating nature. Today it's too many vampires, tomorrow it'll be too many vampire slayers (with far fewer vampires to slay). As always, it'll run its course back into the normal levels before too long.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Quaint, and here I've had Ariel hunted, beaten, bruised, sun-burned rather severely etc over the past few years.

Of note, vampirism is like a plague. Where ever Ariel bites there's left another to the tribe. (Never mind the fact that she kills all victims since she hates the thought of a tribe...something to do with responsibility). Ironically everyone complains that vampires never abide by the rules, that they never say die. Same goes for non vampires who never fall to their domination abilities, or the fact that their bites are contagious.

We've got a stick and a log here, the only way to get rid of them is to burn both at once.

Akea

First Post
'n not responding to the usual typical weaknesses can be justified, not always, but often. I've had my vampire around for ... well I've kind'a lost count of the years, and unlike Ariel, she spreads her 'gift' around to those she deems worthy and makes servants out of the rest that want it. Everywhere you turn is another one, possibly in service to someone else, or someone wanting their character to be noticed to be employed by someone else, or someone just wanting to have a neck-biter for all the thrills and fancies! We all avoid character deaths, not just the vampies.

Reshak Delanier

First Post
remember that not every one subscribes to the "Standard Rules for Vampirism" or whatever. A character is a whole lot of imagination and a little bit book. Hell, there are some folks out there playing under Rifts rules and gods know only what else. Personally, I try and keep Re'shak close to DnD standards (3rd.5, not that 4th ed garbage), with a bit of good ole 2nd ed and a few other bits and pieces. Some vampiric descriptions allow for vamps to be able to exist in sunlight, but in a weakened state (Interview w/ a vampire). There are tons of other different versions.

Yes Re'shak is a pretty powerful Vamp, but I rarely play him any more. As to why everyone else is a vampire these days, I dunno...mebbe you guys are right, popular is as popular does. Personally, I look at it as imitation is the most sincere form of flattery! hehe

....Resh

Sienna_Rose

First Post
As has been pointed out - stuff goes in waves, all over the place. When some cable channel had a marathon of Naruto, we had a flood of Naruto style characters.

Vampires and rules - it's not just rule books that have vampires weakened or killed by daylight. It's tradition, stories and legends. But, on that point, I've asked this before, and never really got an answer. . .back on Wizards, we had a function of /time - where we could see what time it was in the room (and, thereby, the time of day for the setting). CRT was in the Pacific time zone for purposes of figuring out where the sun was in the sky. I asked if it still is. Don't know the answer to that.
So, at least for Ariel, she can prance around in the daylight, 'cause her player is on the other side of the world from the majority of the players (at least the majority of those who speak up when locations are asked). Well, okay, if I go by what time it is *right now*, it's daylight in both places ;) . . . Yes, I'm being silly. But, I'd still like to know round about what time zone the fantasy settings are in. It makes it easier to interact if we at least have some common reference point.

Remove ads