Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Ondo

First Post
cdrcjsn said:
In one of the threads for DDI, they said that they're releasing one of the classes that was originally slated for PHB2 early in an electronic format.
I'd love to see the source for this - I'll look sometime, but if anyone could find and post it I'd very much appreciate it.

Cryptos

First Post
Assuming they're relying on other books for the Swordmage (FRPHB, we already know) and the Bard, and their minimum ideal for putting out a power source sourcebook is three classes in the source (as it is with Martial Power), I suppose they could still squeeze in Psionics. In keeping with my other thoughts above, then, we'd be looking at 3 Primal, 3 Psionic, 1 Divine and 1 Arcane. Three classes would seem to be the minimum to complete a set sufficiently for them to be willing to release a Power sourcebook. That puts us in an odd place where, although in the core books there would be three to a source for each, including all reference sources arcane would have 5 (perhaps 6 if artificer is fully fleshed out in Dragon) classes by the time PHB2 is out. That all but cements Arcane Power as the second power sourcebook.

Arcane: Sorcerer
Divine: 1 unknown.
Primal: Barbarian, Druid, Shaman
Psionic: 3 unknown.

I, R, T, and W.

I really don't think "I" is Illusionist. One, we've seen it before. Two, they're now going to include some illusion-based power options for Wizards to fill that gap.

Of Psionic, Telepath does seem likely.

I think the most 4e friendly psionic specialties are probably: Telepathy, Psychoportation, Psychokinesis, and Psychometabolism. They've effectively relegated ESP-like powers to rituals, and put in the "warning blurbs" for DMs that have PCs that want to attempt scrying, so I can't see them basing a whole class around Clairsentience. Summoning still doesn't appear to be in elsewhere, so it's unlikely Metacreativity would be the first. You could probably fold metabolism and teleportation powers together to make one viable defender class with a splash of striker mobility, with the flavor that their control over their bodies allows them to move in unconventional ways.

Wasn't there a short three or five level prestige class somewhere, at one point, for Psionic Nomads called the Wayfarer's Guild? Or am I imagining that? Wayfarer (or perhaps Wanderer) is a stretch, but that would be a 'W'.

Last edited:

Kez Darksun

First Post
In regards to the 'W' class and psionics, the possibility of the Wilder has been mentioned by people on the various forums, as well as the War Mind transitioning from a prestige class to a full fledged class. The latter would also fit with being a new class to D&D instead of a reprint like the Wilder would be.

Cryptos

First Post
Kez Darksun said:
In regards to the 'W' class and psionics, the possibility of the Wilder has been mentioned by people on the various forums, as well as the War Mind transitioning from a prestige class to a full fledged class. The latter would also fit with being a new class to D&D instead of a reprint like the Wilder would be.

You might be right, but I'm almost afraid of that... soon, we'll have entire "War" adventuring parties: Warminds being led by Warlords helping to make sure that Warlocks don't get hit.

Ondo

First Post
Ander00 said:
That statement wouldn't seem to make much sense if psionics were only slated to be released in two years.
Thanks! I've updated the first post with this info:

Scott Rouse says "The license is done but late yesterday we added a bunch of new stuff to the SRD to cover some books coming out next year (like PH2 classes, power sources, and weapons)." (source) When someone complains, he asks "So do you want Psionics now or 12 months from now?" (source)

Cryptos

First Post
Ander00 said:
That statement wouldn't seem to make much sense if psionics were only slated to be released in two years.

cheers

Come to think of it, that statement doesn't make much sense regardless, as "now" has never been an option on the table for Psionics. It's always been a minimum of about 12 months from now. I'm assuming that what he means is, "Do you want Psionics when we planned to release them next year, or 12 months from then?" or "Do you want them in one year or two years?"

Unless he's saying that if they include it in the license, then third parties could start releasing their own psionic material "now" (which would actually be October or November, if I understand the timeline for 3rd party materials correctly.) And wouldn't have any effect on what WotC does officially with psionics.

mattdm

First Post
Cryptos said:
Unless he's saying that if they include it in the license, then third parties could start releasing their own psionic material "now" (which would actually be October or November, if I understand the timeline for 3rd party materials correctly.) And wouldn't have any effect on what WotC does officially with psionics.

That's how I read it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases