Keep on the Shadowfell preview

lvl20dm

Explorer
I also got to take a look at this at my local game store today. A few answers:

They've done away with the delve format, though they've incorporated some elements of it into a more traditional style (everything, story and all, is together in one place).

The Fighter had a few new abilities: Reaping Strike, an at will that did str mod damage on a miss, and Sweeping strike, an encounter power that did weapon damage and knocked the enemy prone. He also had a 2nd level utility power that gave him 2d6+3 temporary hp.

The Half-elf appeared to get a +2 to Cha and Con again (this assumes that is what Tira got). All of the characters worked with Totoro's 32 pt. buy. As a Cleric, he also had an encounter power that was a melee attack that healed an ally with a healing surge and marked the target.

The Rogue had an at will called Sly Flourish that did Weapon damage plus Dex and Cha. He also had an Encounter power at level 3 that allowed him to switch places with the target and shift (in addition to damage).

I'm going off memory, so some of this is pretty fuzzy.

Edit: The Paladin had an Atwill called Valiant Smite/Strike that got a +1 to attack for each adjacent enemy. Oh and Power Attack gives you a -2 to attack and a +3 to damage (maybe +STR mod. - the Fighter had it).

Last edited:

Lancelot

Adventurer
jeremy_dnd said:
Apologies, thalmin, but I'm going to have to reiterate the burning question that's most important to me, personally...

Is the (godawful and annoying, imo) Expedition adventures "Tactical Encounter" design format used for KotS?

Seconded. I hate the "Dungeon Delve" format with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns. Finding this out is critical to me, as it determines whether I buy any of the new modules at all.

And thanks again, Thalmin, for both giving us a preview, and not spoiling the adventure.

Green Knight

First Post
Any chance you can post a list of the Paladin's At-Will, Encounter, Daily, and Utility powers, and a quick summary of what they do?

Also, are there any additional class features above and beyond what Corrin, the Halfling Paladin had? Thanks.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
jeremy_dnd said:
Apologies, thalmin, but I'm going to have to reiterate the burning question that's most important to me, personally...

Is the (godawful and annoying, imo) Expedition adventures "Tactical Encounter" design format used for KotS?
Sorry, but I am unable to answer that. I am unfamiliar with the "Tactical Design" or the "Delve" formats. (I haven't used a published module in 15 or more years.) Most of the encounters are covered in a 2-page spread. The typical encounter has a couple paragraphs in the Setup, including the monsters listed for the encounter. This is followed by the Tactics section, with a couple of paragraphs describing tactics the monsters will use. Then there are the Stat Blocks and map, then a section on Features of the Area, which includes illumination, special terrain features, treasure.
There are mostly combat encounters some trap encounters, and a bit of special social encounter.

Novem5er

First Post
Thalmin, thank you so much for posting the monster list earlier. I went online and ordered some singles for things I was missing (plus a few extra that I wanted). I was blessed to already have most of the monsters, so my order was pretty small. Still, I'm surprised by the number of monsters in some encounters... the devs have said there will be MORE monsters on the battlefield than in 3e and, from the looks of it, they weren't kidding!

Asmor

First Post
Sorry if you've already answered this and I missed it, but any skill challenges in the adventure?

Regardless of whether you get to answering this question, thanks a ton for all the info!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
thalmin said:
Sorry, but I am unable to answer that. I am unfamiliar with the "Tactical Design" or the "Delve" formats. (I haven't used a published module in 15 or more years.) Most of the encounters are covered in a 2-page spread. The typical encounter has a couple paragraphs in the Setup, including the monsters listed for the encounter. This is followed by the Tactics section, with a couple of paragraphs describing tactics the monsters will use. Then there are the Stat Blocks and map, then a section on Features of the Area, which includes illumination, special terrain features, treasure.
There are mostly combat encounters some trap encounters, and a bit of special social encounter.

I think you (and lvl20dm, above) answered me! :D

The "Tactical Encounter" format forced encounters to be exactly two pages, and had to be referenced in a different part of the book; all combat encounters were separated out from the rest of the adventure, leading to a very disjointed reading.

It doesn't sound like this will be the case for 4E, for which I am thankful. :)

ChristopherGroves

First Post
Remember the delve =/= the same as a module / adventure. It's separate and distinct and has been for years. It is used sometimes to proof concepts or playtest new rules at conventions, etc. but don't think that plot is out the window.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
ChristopherGroves said:
Remember the delve =/= the same as a module / adventure. It's separate and distinct and has been for years. It is used sometimes to proof concepts or playtest new rules at conventions, etc. but don't think that plot is out the window.

Oh, no. By the "Delve format" we/I don't mean the actual "Delve" adventures at D&DXP, for example. I mean the format that has been published in 3.5. Mainly, the Expedition series, where combat encounters are clumped together and detailed in an entirely separate portion of the book.

It looks like 4E adventures will be presented more continuously.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases