Idea

Shadow Leaf

First Post
another idea...

have the catagories broken down into ages as well, a 15-year-old against a 35-year-old with more training and a better physique wouldn't be a very fair match.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Why not a: select your own opponent approach?

And points are awarded based on fights won, and hence everyone can be ranked. From there, you can only fight those on or above your rank. When you lose, you're deducted points, hence fall down the ranks. Hence it means those of equal ability end up in fair fights. If a warrior picks a fight with a mage, it's his own silly fault for not being able to combat the magic. But if the warrior thinks he's good, thinks he's got it all over the mage and can somehow best his magic, then he should pick the fight, for glory and points.

Naturally, people should have the right to decline a fight should they so choose. But declining should have a penalty of it's own...say the next fight they participate, even if they win, they only get half the points they would have? Or something...

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Why a penalty for declining? That would be a way to push someone right out of the tournament. Get a couple friends who outclass someone, have them all pick that someone to fight, that person loses points for declining (or doesn't get as many points on their next win) - it keeps them down, and eventually out.

Elra

First Post
I don't like the idea of losing points if you decline, then someone way above your character's skill level could chalenge you and you lose points no matter which way you turn, you should have a choice on who you fight and you should be able to decline without a problem

Lacerin

First Post
I agree, but I think it should be a random drawl of who you fight. And I also think no matter who it is you have to fight....you have to fight! I mean it's not a tournament if you can just decline a fight, and yet move on.

Elra

First Post
true, because turnmants are based a chart of some sort usually, the winner moves on, right? So if they did decline it would be the same as losing?

Sienna_Rose

First Post
The idea of declining a fight is based on the "choose who you fight" idea. More tournament style based, yes, declining would be forfeiting, and a loss. But, the usual way tournaments work - at least from what I understand - is to pair up people of about the same skill level. So, it's reasonable that you should be able to fight that person. If people are choosing who they fight, the could just pick a weak opponent and that would be that if that chosen opponent couldn't decline.

Bari

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
From there, you can only fight those on or above your rank.

You cannot choose the weaker opponent, only those your rank (or higher.) If an opponnent that seems "weaker" made it to your rank, well then.... he's just not that weak :p I agree with losing points on declining. Or winning half next time. Whichever.

Remove ads