1st-Level Monster Conversions

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
the Jester said:
This was an interesting one. I considered having it be a minion, because I just couldn't justify a parrot having 25-30 hp. Instead I did exception-based design, and just halved the normal hp total it should have while simultaneously increasing some of its defenses and giving it a good defensive ability. I'd love some feedback on this one, if anybody has any to give. :) It's not a viable threat on its own, but with other monsters to follow up against disabled pcs, it seems about right to me.

COROLLAX--- Level 1 Controller
Tiny natural magical beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +3; Senses Perception +0
HP 14; Bloodied 7
AC 17; Fortitude 13; Reflex 19; Will 14 (plus see Distorting Halo)
Speed 2, fly 10
---
[Melee] Claws (standard; at will): +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage.

[Area] Blast of Colors (standard; recharge 5 6) Illusion: Close blast 4; blind creatures are immune, targets all others; +3 vs. Will; Hit: target is dazed and slowed (save ends both); Miss: target suffers -2 to all defenses until the end of the corollax’ next turn.

Distorting Halo (immediate interrupt; when hit by an attack) Illusion: The attack misses. The corollax shifts 2 spaces. Until the beginning of its next turn it gains +2 to all defenses.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Skills Acrobatics +8
Str 1; Dex 17; Wis 10
Con 13; Int 3; Cha 16

I'd possibly suggest that the distorting halo is made an encounter power, perhaps with a recharge otherwise this little guy is going to be almost impossible to kill!

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Whew! Massive sigh of relief!

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to recreate all my favorite Dungeons & Dragons cartoon adventures if Bullywugs weren't available. Now, thanks to Doug, I can relive the best of Venger vs. the Dungeonmaster...with those pesky kids in between as pawns.

I say grant Doug 100 XP via DM's fiat!

jdg

smile...is joke...

Doug McCrae said:
Here are my bullywugs -

Bullywug Swampleaper Level 1 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid XP 100
Initiative +4 Senses Perception +0;
HP 30; Bloodied 15
AC 15; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 12;
Speed 6 (swamp walk), swim 6

:bmelee: Spear (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d8+3 damage
Hop (move; encounter)
The bullywug shifts 6 squares.
Hopping Charge
The bullywug deals an extra 1d6 damage when charging.

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Skills Athletics +6 (+11 jumping), Stealth +8
Str 13 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 6 (-2)
Equipment: hide armor, spear

Bullywug Spearcarrier Level 1 Minion
Medium natural humanoid XP 25
Initiative +2 Senses Perception +0;
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 15; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 12;
Speed 6 (swamp walk), swim 6

:bmelee: Spear (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 4 damage (6 damage when charging)

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Str 13 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 6 (-2)
Equipment: hide armor, spear

Riley

Legend
All hail the Puggalo!

My suggestion for a 1st level monster conversion: Twig Blights!

Sunless Citadel was, after all, a pretty good introductory adventure.

Get Jester to Publish!!!

Hi Jester,

Long time fan, long time lurker ;) . . .

Just kidding, I've known Jester for a long time and he is one of the great D&D minds (imaginations?) of our time. Anyone who has seen his stuff knows this. His work is right up there with some of the great enworlders of our generation, and I think he is under appreciated as a designer.

So, . . . let's start a campaign to get Jester published! (Maybe we could all be 1/2 lings, or start underwarter, or both? :D )

What would you want to see Jester do? A monster compendium, or a stand alone 4-E adventure? What level, what flavor? Anyone got some publishing contects for him? I know that he could also use the help of map makers and illustrators.

Let's get on this, people!

-Angel of Adventure

Simm

First Post
I was thinking about what you said about the lack of traditional elementals in 4e, and had an idea. You might want to 4ify the mephit as a low level elemental.

the Jester

Legend
Simm said:
I was thinking about what you said about the lack of traditional elementals in 4e, and had an idea. You might want to 4ify the mephit as a low level elemental.

:) Mephits are on the 2nd-level list...

I've been debating what approach to take with them, though. I think they might be a little too humanoid to make into elementals, but I'm still mulling that one over. :) Feel free to chime in on the 2nd level monster thread.

the Jester

Legend
Sylrae said:
Jester, youre amazing. when I run 4e I'm totally gonna be printing all of these.

Me too. :D

Help yourself! I'd love to have pics to go with them- I might try to scan some old edition art for when I print mine out.

the Jester said:
[Melee] Berserk Rage (minor; only when bloodied; at will): The badger gains 5 hit points. Until the end of its next turn, it deals an extra 5 points of damage when it hits with its claws.
-
I think rage is better implemented as a bonus to hit and/or damage, like the 4e MM rage drake and werewolf have, for instance, or if you really want it to be extra hit points (which I associate more with the 3e boar's ferocity, i.e. refusing to die) I would go with the temporary hp like the 4e MM human berserker has. Otherwise, if your badger falls below bloodied level of hp by less than the amount he gains from raging, he is no longer bloodied. Temp hp is independent of the regular hp pool and thus can't interfere with bloodied status, plus if for some reason you got bloodied, then healed up a bit, then bloodied again, your reactivated ability would just give a new set of temp hp since they don't stack.

By the way, coming up with balanced powers for critters seems the hardest part of making them balanced. Any guidelines you follow, Jester, that you would recommend?

the Jester

Legend
Magus Coeruleus said:
I think rage is better implemented as a bonus to hit and/or damage, like the 4e MM rage drake and werewolf have, for instance, or if you really want it to be extra hit points (which I associate more with the 3e boar's ferocity, i.e. refusing to die) I would go with the temporary hp like the 4e MM human berserker has. Otherwise, if your badger falls below bloodied level of hp by less than the amount he gains from raging, he is no longer bloodied. Temp hp is independent of the regular hp pool and thus can't interfere with bloodied status, plus if for some reason you got bloodied, then healed up a bit, then bloodied again, your reactivated ability would just give a new set of temp hp since they don't stack.

By the way, coming up with balanced powers for critters seems the hardest part of making them balanced. Any guidelines you follow, Jester, that you would recommend?

Good point on the temporary hp.

As to guidelines- I'm shooting from the hip here, I have to admit. I'm just trying to bear in mind that certain effects/conditions are clearly "worth more" than others- stunned is worse than dazed, for example- and I'm just trying to make fun to fight, easy to run cool monsters. :)

Hopefully these aren't turning out too broken, but I honestly don't know til I try them out... and I haven't yet- not any of them.

But as soon as I have a chance, I assure you that I will- and I'll post my notes here. (And please, anyone else who tries 'em out, let us know how it goes!)

Remove ads