Random Encounter Generator UPDATED June 12th

Asmor

First Post
Please see http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.php?b=14

[sblock=Original post]I'm pleased to announce the first version of my 4th Edition Random Encounter Generator.

Currently, it creates a level-appropriate encounter at random. Although the monsters are selected entirely at random (for example, it might team up a a Githyanki and a Githzerai if both are in the level range), it does try to choose an appropriate amount of them based on status and role. For example, you'll only ever have a single copy of a leader or solo monster (unless, by sheer coincidence, it happens to pick the same monster twice as it passes through). On the other hand, it tries to fit in between 4 and 12 minions, 2-4 soldiers, 1-3 brutes, etc.

Eventually, I'd like to get it so that it can create encounters based on the encounter templates in the DMG, so that there's a more logical structure to the encounters. I'd also like to make it more likely to select similar types of monsters (for example, pairing together different kobolds).

EDIT:

The generator's been updated. Among the new features and fixes:

*Support for multiple sources. At the moment, only Dragon 364 and the Monster Manual are available. You can choose which sources to use.
*Allows for more control. For example, you can completely disallow solo monsters, or set how many minions you want of a particular type.
*Changes to the algorithm to prevent the same creature from being rolled twice.

Added June 11th:

Minor update. Changed the layout a bit, and completed filling in page numbers for all entries. Also, added sections for all entries (articles, if from a magazine; 'creature type' if from the Monster Manual)

Added June 12th:

Monsters from The Ashen Covenant Dragon article added. Also added page where you can see a list of all the monsters used in the generator, linked to under the list of sources but here's a direct link:

http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eEncounterGen/lister.php[/sblock]

Last edited:

djdaidouji

First Post
The first time I used it, it gave me all elves and orcs, and the second time it gave me all skeletons. Though I guess that was just coincidence. I particularly like the elf and orc combo. First glance it was like "thats a bit too random," but thinking about it, it could be a cool hook. Next week, my players are totally going against the Forest Allegiance, a group of crude-for-an-elf elves and polite-for-an-orc orcs.

I can see myself using this in the future!

Asmor

First Post
Yeah, I'm finding the randomness actually works pretty well.

For example, someone on LiveJournal mentioned they got yuan-ti, basilisks and drow. Sounds to me like the PCs just stumbled upon a drow ambassador who was in yuan-ti lands to broker an alliance.

Or another time I got a few kobold slingers and an arseload of kruthick hatchlings. Makes me think of the slingers on a ledge pelting the PCs while they deal with the hatchlings in a pit below...

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
That's not an Orc Raider - that's an Orc Pokemon Trainer. ;)

Qty Name Type Exp
1 Stirge Level 1 Lurker 100
1 Orc Raider Level 3 Skirmisher 150
1 Hyena Level 2 Skirmisher 125
1 Skeleton Level 3 Soldier 150

Total experience: 525

Encounter level: 1

*edit*

Heh. Found an even cooler encounter:

Qty Name Type Exp
3 Hyena Level 2 Skirmisher 125
1 Warhorse Level 3 Brute 150

Total experience: 525

Encounter level: 1

Last edited:

djdaidouji

First Post
12 Halfling Stout Level 2 Minion 31
1 Fire Beetle Level 1 Brute 100

1 Guard Drake Level 2 Brute 125
1 Spiretop Drake Level 1 Skirmisher 100
2 Needlefang Drake Swarm Level 2 Soldier 125
(That one was pretty lucky!)

...Okay, I tried a few more times and nothing came up very interesting. But still, I like 12 halflings charging at you behind a single beetle. "Everyone, follow the beetle to victory!" "Ew, it's rolling poop." "Everyone, follow to poop to victory!"

Boarstorm

First Post
Totally bookmarked. Thanks, Asmor!

Edit: I also tried the adventure seed generator.

"The Faerie Concubine's Obscene Sorcery"
"The Unchaste Death of the Demon Virgin"

*cough* *cough*

Last edited:

Remove ads