Deft Strike - questions (and other rogue/other questions)

JMnITup

First Post
Ok, some random questions about deft strike... I have my assumptions, but they seem weird.

Ok, take the premade rogue character, it has a good example, and lets assume level 1... high dex (+4 mod), lower str (+1 mod) .. so dagger melee attack only gets a +5 to hit (+3 proficiency, +1 from str mod, +1 from rogue weapon proficiency w/ dagger). It also just gets a +1 to the damage, from the str mod.. this is all with a basic attack.

The ranged attack is better, basing off of dexterity (is there an equivalent of weapon finesse to allow these bonuses in the basic melee attack, or is that just assumed you'll have powers to cover that?) so to hit is +8 (+3 dagger prof, +1 rogue dagger prof, +4 dex mod), and damage is +4 (from dex mod, and the daggers light thrown property).

Now, it would seem that with basic attacks, this rogue is far better off using ranged attacks with the daggers... the downsides being attacks of opportunity generated, ammo supply, and lack of flanking for advantage, yes?

so this is just build up... here are my actual questions:

First... deft strikes 2 moves, I assume are MOVES, not shifts? Seems like it should be a shift to be useful, but then maybe you are just assuming, added to your rogues AC bonus against AoOs, it's like tumble... so I'm assuming they proke attacks, right?

Next... can you perform ranged AOs? i.e. does the idea that only melee weapons threaten an area come into 4e from 3, or do ranged weapons not threaten space? All the rules say is that movement from an adjacent space (or a threatened space if you have Threatening Reach) promts AOs, so does that apply to ranged as well as melee? Again, seems weird, but I think that's what it means, and the fact that Magic Missile is specifically mentioned as being able to be used for AOs backs that up... seems odd it's only for adjectent w/ ranged weapons, but would probably be a bit overpowered otherwise... ... however, I just saw that on page 290, it says: "OPPORTUNITY ATTACK: OPPORTUNITY ACTION
✦ Melee Basic Attack: An opportunity attack is a
melee basic attack (page 287)."
That implies you can only make OAs if you are using a melee weapon, and only with the basic attack.. in fact, more than implies, pretty much spells it out. And now I can't find the bit I saw saying you could use Magic missile that way... it had said paraphrased, 'you can use magic missile for powers or rules that say ranged basic attack, such as opportunity attacks'... I found that sentence, but it doesn't say the such as part. :p Maybe I made the whole thing up, but anyone else notice this before? anyway, I guess that whole line is null.. nevermind on that.

Next, do you flank with a ranged weapon? I know to flank you need to be adjacent, so you can't flank from a range, but can you flank point-blank? Daggers are a bad example, since you can use it melee or ranged, so let's say you have a crossbow in hand.

And last... if you are hidden, and fire a crossbow into someone's chest... are they aware of you? are you still hidden? do you have to make another immediate stealth roll against their passive, or do they get an immediate active? Any penalties to such rolls?

Could have sworn there were more, but I guess most of it comes down to the AOs on deft strike movement, and melee vs ranged potency of a dex rogue... I guess if you can only flank with melee weapons, the sneak attack damage will overshadow the extra damage from dex you'd have gotten... and looking at it again, really the only time you'd make a basic attack is for attacks of opportunity, all the first level at-will powers use dex based attack and damage rolls, except Riposte's special... So really I guess it just comes down to such a rogues AOs being weak... which itself seems odds, it seems like rogue AOs should be the most lethal...
So anything I'm missing, or did I answer all my own questions?

Xect

Explorer
JMnITup said:
Now, it would seem that with basic attacks, this rogue is far better off using ranged attacks with the daggers... the downsides being attacks of opportunity generated, ammo supply, and lack of flanking for advantage, yes?
That's right. But you will rarely be using basic attacks. Unless you have high strength and low dex (which seems foolish), you'll be using powers (like deft strikes) to take your standard actions.

So in reality, you end up using dex.

For opportunity attacks, you're stuck with STR though.

Next... can you perform ranged AOs?

No, melee only.

Next, do you flank with a ranged weapon?
I thought not, but on rereading it, you just have to be able to attack.

So yes, I guess you can now flank with a ranged weapon at point blank range. Could come in handy when using the weapon for close attack powers.

ozziewolf

First Post
Never use basic attacks unless you have to. Your at wills will always be better.

Deft Strike: You move if you move passed some one you provoke an OA. This ability is still very powerful. Essentially you can move 8 squares making it much easier to get into flanking position. With Artful dodger normally it's ok to provoke an OA as they probably won't hit. Especially if you provoke an OA from the fighters marked target. (The fighter gets a free hit.)

OA's are melee range only.

Yes you can flank with ranged weapons you're still considered threatening with the bow out. Same as if you're prone you're still threatening as you can still swing your sword. (Granted you really want to get up as soon as possible.)

If you attack you're no longer hidden. At level 16 you can get hide in plain sight which will allow you to remain hidden while attacking.

With Deft strike you can also be 2 squares out of line of sight, deft strike, and then use your move action to get back out of line of sight. So if there is ever a situation where you can't be in melee range this is a powerful way to avoid taking damage.
I've also had it where a monster was 8 squares away and with Deft Strike I was still able to get into melee range. (Granted I could have still used a ranged weapon even if I couldn't.)

Last edited:

Family

First Post
ozziewolf said:
OA's are melee range only.

True, but I thought I'd point out that they not only need to be in melee range, they also need to be a melee basic (str not dex).

"An opportunity attack is a melee basic attack." -pg 290 PHB

keterys

First Post
ozziewolf said:
Never use basic attacks unless you have to. Your at wills will always be better.

If you have bracers of perfect shot/strike, this is not necessarily true for many characters. For the rogue in question though... yeah.

lukelightning

First Post
You may have gotten the "opportunity attack with magic missile" misconception from the Penny Arcade D&D podcast. In the podcast, Jim Darkmagic (it goes without saying of the New Hampshire Darkmagics), asked for clarification about the "basic ranged" bit about magic missile, and the DM (erroneously, as far as I can tell) said something about being able to make opportunity attacks with it.

ozziewolf

First Post
Right but the question was just if he could get OA's from range not what type of roll it was. It's why I mentioned that he should never use a basic attack unless he had to.

As for the second post I'm referring strictly to Rogues as that's the topic of this thread. I imagine it could be different with other classes. (My expertise on classes doesn't go much beyond the Rogue class at this point.)

Ginnel

Explorer
Keep it in mind though a foe running past you provokes an OA and you get sneak attack damages as he dashes past you desperate to get away leaving himself open a quick blow to his unprotected body

meanwhile an attack where the enemy moves away grants you the opportunity to get a quick stab in as he moves, but not enough time to set up your own careful attack.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Ginnel said:
Keep it in mind though a foe running past you provokes an OA and you get sneak attack damages as he dashes past you desperate to get away leaving himself open a quick blow to his unprotected body.
Assuming you did not already use sneak attack on your own turn. You can only sneak attack once per round. But yes, your point is correct.

Also, as lukelightning pointed out. The wizard and warlock get ranged basic attacks, they can't use those for (melee) opportunity attacks.

JMnITup

First Post
lukelightning said:
You may have gotten the "opportunity attack with magic missile" misconception from the Penny Arcade D&D podcast.

Ah, yes, you're probably right.. I think that's exactly where I got the idea... thanks for reminding me of that! I remember it striking me as strange, and I was thinking about whether that was true or not, but I guess it latched itself somewhere in my subconscious. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases