Deft Strike - questions (and other rogue/other questions)

TheGlow

First Post
Ahh, small thing I just wanted to clarify.
So you don't trigger Opportunity Attacks when moving INTO someones adjacent squares?
I dunno why I was thinking any moving, in or out triggered an OA. But on rereading, it seems to be only when leaving an adjacent square on in someones reach sans shifting.

JMnITup

First Post
TheGlow said:
Ahh, small thing I just wanted to clarify.
So you don't trigger Opportunity Attacks when moving INTO someones adjacent squares?
I dunno why I was thinking any moving, in or out triggered an OA. But on rereading, it seems to be only when leaving an adjacent square on in someones reach sans shifting.

Exactly... triggered by someone leaving an adjacent square with a MOVE (not a shift, push, pull, or slide, or any other forced movement).. this means moving out of your reach, as well as moving from 1 square in your reach to another... either way, you are LEAVING a square in your threatened range (to fall back to 3e terms), and provoke... fortunately you can run rings around a single enemy and only provoke 1 OA, since they only get 1 on your turn (though you can't use up their OAs to help a friend move around them without getting them, like you could in 3e, since as soon as it's someone else's turn, he gets to use an OA again)

Caliber

Explorer
Don't forget that even if you're armed with a ranged weapon, you can still make an unarmed attack (it doesn't require any open hands)

So if someone runs by just kick 'em in the nuts for the sneak attack damage. ;)

JMnITup

First Post
Caliber said:
Don't forget that even if you're armed with a ranged weapon, you can still make an unarmed attack (it doesn't require any open hands)

So if someone runs by just kick 'em in the nuts for the sneak attack damage. ;)

Actually... sneak attack only works with a weapon from the light blade, crossbow, or sling family.

And that does bring up another question... if you have both hands full (a crossbow technically only takes 1 hand to hold, only 2 to fire... lets say you have a sword in each hand), can you make unarmed attacks? I'm assuming not, but it would make sense either way... easy enough to punch someone with a weapon in your hand (I know! :) ), and yes, you can always kick! Though to kick with any effect you really have to be trained to do so, else you are so off-balance during the kick you would easily be thrown around or knocked over if you weren't lucky... plus without training, leg strength and mechanics aren't enough to put much damage there... but yes, I've strayed from actual game mechanics. :)

Remove ads