Pathfinder 2E PF2 Remaster PDFs have been sent out! Talk about/ask questions about them here.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been waiting for these to get into PF. Are they clear for someone learning the system or more as a reference for those already familiar?

Also, has anyone heard when they will be available for general purchase?

I've been waiting for these to get into PF. Are they clear for someone learning the system or more as a reference for those already familiar?

Also, has anyone heard when they will be available for general purchase?
November 15th is the street date. Paizo started shipping out subscribers' books this week, which triggers the PDFs to be available in your digital library.

I haven't given it a thorough read since I just got mine today, but skimming through the Player Core it is definitely new player friendly.

Reynard

Legend
November 15th is the street date. Paizo started shipping out subscribers' books this week, which triggers the PDFs to be available in your digital library.

I haven't given it a thorough read since I just got mine today, but skimming through the Player Core it is definitely new player friendly.
It looks like you can still start your subscription and get them.

The recovery check section seems to be the only thing so far I'm not sure how I feel about it. From page 411:
Recovery Checks
While you’re dying, attempt a recovery check at the start
of each of your turns. This is a flat check with a DC
equal to 10 + your current dying value to see if you get
better or worse.
Critical Success Your dying value is reduced by 2.
Success Your dying value is reduced by 1.
Failure Your dying value increases by 1 (plus your wounded
value, if any).
Critical Failure Your dying value increases by 2 (plus your
wounded value, if any).

Adding your wounded value to your 1 or 2 increase to dying on a failed or critically failed check seems kinda steep, I felt like the wounded condition already added enough of a threat to the game. Taking Orc Ferocity sounds like something you'd want to avoid if the enemy drops you on their 1st action and still has a couple more actions to take you down again.

I've heard news that apparently they've changed how wounds work in relation to when you take damage while dying. Any information on this?

Yeah, the idea is that you added 1+ your current Wounded # if you fail a recovery check. It's... not great, though I've heard people debating that it might be a mistake or bad language (the idea being that your Wounded # isn't meant to be readded as much as you are basically retotaling the number each time, hence Current Wounded # +1). Then again, it was also apparently in the previous version? Maybe? I'm not sure, it seems to be the one big point of confusion so far. But I'm just not going to play it like that because I think it's just unnecessary.

Yeah, the idea is that you added 1+ your current Wounded # if you fail a recovery check. It's... not great, though I've heard people debating that it might be a mistake or bad language (the idea being that your Wounded # isn't meant to be readded as much as you are basically retotaling the number each time, hence Current Wounded # +1). Then again, it was also apparently in the previous version? Maybe? I'm not sure, it seems to be the one big point of confusion so far. But I'm just not going to play it like that because I think it's just unnecessary.
I reread the CRB section to see what it said and I still read it as add your wounded value when you first go unconscious to your starting dying value and then resolve recovery checks per the table which doesn’t mention wounded at all. But I’ve heard the same discussion you mentioned about the new rule just clarifying what the old rule was supposed to be.

The new table for resolving recovery checks (posted a few posts above by me for those who don’t have the Player Core book yet) seems pretty straightforward to me. My group has generally not faced a lot of dropping to 0 multiple times a combat and that is definitely what this is setup to prevent. Clear your wounded condition between combats and you’re good. I know there will be times where time between combats might limit the ability to do that, but I guess I’m generous as a GM so far in letting my players largely set the pace of encounters in our current AP Abomination Vaults. Once I decided they made enough noise to get the monsters in the next room to come investigate and another time they made a bad choice that ended up linking two encounters and it resulted in a TPK so the wounded/dying rules wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I reread the CRB section to see what it said and I still read it as add your wounded value when you first go unconscious to your starting dying value and then resolve recovery checks per the table which doesn’t mention wounded at all. But I’ve heard the same discussion you mentioned about the new rule just clarifying what the old rule was supposed to be.

The new table for resolving recovery checks (posted a few posts above by me for those who don’t have the Player Core book yet) seems pretty straightforward to me. My group has generally not faced a lot of dropping to 0 multiple times a combat and that is definitely what this is setup to prevent. Clear your wounded condition between combats and you’re good. I know there will be times where time between combats might limit the ability to do that, but I guess I’m generous as a GM so far in letting my players largely set the pace of encounters in our current AP Abomination Vaults. Once I decided they made enough noise to get the monsters in the next room to come investigate and another time they made a bad choice that ended up linking two encounters and it resulted in a TPK so the wounded/dying rules wouldn’t have changed the outcome.
The key thing is that the line appears under a subheading that pertains only to damage taken while dying, rather than damage that reduces you to 0 hp, which catches people up that it's the heading that enforces what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Remove ads