Pathfinder 2E PF2 Remaster PDFs have been sent out! Talk about/ask questions about them here.

Hey, PDFs have been sent out to preorders and subscribers who have their physical books on the way. Currently going through the book with the original CRB and APG open to check different changes. It's slow, but it's interesting to see. From my (very initial; I'm only still in the Dwarven Ancestry feats right now) read, it looks like they've tried to consolidate and/or improve the feats where they could.

One notable one is the reference to the new Additional Lore General Feat referenced by the generic Lore ancestry feats, which gives you a Lore skill and allows you to upgrade it for free at certain levels. I suspect that is a load-bearing feat that was made so that they don't have to write that out for a bunch of ancestries, but also I'm interested in if you get the upgrades from levels you are already past. I suspect not, which makes the feat less valuable at higher levels, but I'm guessing they'll need a bit of errata or guidance on that one. Similarly, Weapon Familiarity feats absorbed the 5th level feat that gives you the Weapon Specialization effect of your ancestral weapons, and now if a weapon has the appropriate ancestry trait it is also included (I'm guessing this was due to stuff like Clan Daggers, which are obviously Dwarven weapons but aren't included in the original set in the feats. Also opens up a design door for later, if they want to use it).

Other stuff seems to just expand and put less rules on things. Stonecutting is now Stonemason's Eye, which gives you Specialty Crafting if you already have the Crafting Skill and no longer applies the penalty to the GM's secret roll on whether you notice weird stonemasonry. So instead of "+2 to actively look, GM rolls with a -2 for passive check", it's just "+2 to look + GM rolls for when you aren't", which is an obvious and easy simplification. Vengeful Hatred becomes Mountain Tactics and applies to all creatures with the giant/goblin/orc/hryngar (that's the new Duergar) trait instead of picking from a list. Again, taking away limitations and broadening the use. Eye for Treasure has been cut, at least at this level.

There are other little changes, too, like Rock Dwarves getting a +2 not only to Trip/Shove attempts against them, but also attempts to Reposition. I'll have to look up what that entails, but that probably includes stuff like spells and such which makes that +2 much bigger. Death Warden Dwarves now get a crit success against stuff with the Void trait or was created by an undead creature, which feels like it is larger than just Necromancy unless we are interpreting that very broadly. Ancient-Blooded also got rewording to be a bit easier to read.

So if you have it, feel free to talk about what you see here. If you don't, ask questions and I (or someone else) can try and look it up for you when we can.

How's the layout and flow of the rules? Does it feel easier to read and learn from?

Does the clarification on Recovery Changes and how they work surprise you, or was that how you were running things before?

How do you get access to formulas for crafting? Are there costs associated with them?

What set of edicts and ananthemas for different ancestories are your favourite?

How does Mixed Heritage work?

Staffan

Legend
One notable one is the reference to the new Additional Lore General Feat referenced by the generic Lore ancestry feats, which gives you a Lore skill and allows you to upgrade it for free at certain levels.
That's in 2.0 as well, but it sounds like using it for the (Ancestry) Lore feats is new.

How's the layout and flow of the rules? Does it feel easier to read and learn from?

From what I've seen it feels better. There are small layout changes in different sections that were clearly driven by readability stuff. For example, I couldn't figure out why until I realized they took away the big red text at the top and integrated it into the starting paragraph. It made for much cleaner design. I haven't had too much time to read the rules.

Does the clarification on Recovery Changes and how they work surprise you, or was that how you were running things before?

You mean Recovery checks? Yeah, a bit. It took me a second to realize it, but it feels kind of pointless, tbh. Outside of really esoteric ways of increasing dying without a check, it just recreates the three strikes system of 5E in an unnecessary way. I liked the 4 hard strikes which meant that pop-up healing wasn't a great thing but gave you an extra chance to avoid dying.

How do you get access to formulas for crafting? Are there costs associated with them?

There are several ways detailed, the most obvious of which is simply buying them (they have a little chart from level 0 to level 20 items which are "common"), which you can then copy into your formula book. You can also reverse engineer one by disassembling or studying a version you have: you have to meet the requirements to Craft the item and hit the item's DC on a check.

What set of edicts and ananthemas for different ancestories are your favourite?

There are a lot of neat ones. Of the Edicts, I think I like the Orc's "Share knowledge you won through pain", like a sort of battling scholar.

Overall I like the Anathemas better because I think they are generally more interesting and character-defining at a certain level. I also think they did a decent job of hitting what people wanted with the old alignments without having to put those ideas into a fixed grid.

Dwarves: Leave an activity or promise uncompleted
Elves: Force another creature to do something
Goblins: Trust a horse or dog
Gnome: Slow down to explain yourself

If there was a missed opportunity, it's that they only did edicts and anathemas for the full heritages. Versatile heritages didn't have examples, which is sad because I think those probably would have been among the most interesting.

How does Mixed Heritage work?

Pretty much as it did before, tbh: Select a primary Ancestry, and instead of taking a heritage from that ancestry you take one of the versatile ones. I will say that I feel like you should almost get a free lineage (feats that define your bloodline like a Daemon-blooded person or having a Sea Hag parent that you have to take at character creation) because they are so defining and interesting. Though I suppose it's still possible to do that if you play the Ancestral Paragon variant (which is, apparently, not in the new GM's guide, which is disappointing but doesn't actually eliminate it so I guess that's fine).

That's in 2.0 as well, but it sounds like using it for the (Ancestry) Lore feats is new.

Yeah, it probably was but it wasn't one I saw particularly often. But it's more of a load-bearing one now and I think it really improves the quality of that feat, since it'll automatically increase over time for minimal investment. Same with the Ancestral Weapon Familiarities, which have gone from 3 Feats to 1.

Having done a comparison on all the main races in the book to the original versions, you can see that they simplified some stuff down to make it more immediately useable, and while most feats came back, some more niche ones didn't make it. Most of those seemed to be from the APG and almost all were Level 1 feats from what I could tell.

Last edited:

Also, I found out what Reposition is: It's a new action which basically allows you to grab and shift an opponent adjacent to you around you. It basically codifies what Dragging Strike (now Sleek Reposition) did to allow others to do it. Not really seen in a lot of spells (outside of the telekinetic push one), but it does eliminate Dragging Strike (and I'm sure other similar powers) being a loophole to get around that bonus for Dwarves.

Also they made Disarm significantly more powerful. They basically went the route I wanted, where you have to spend an action to get rid of the penalties, but instead of having it end on the affected creature's turn (which was my idea) they made it indefinite. Definitely going to see a lot of swashbucklers and rapier fighters feasting with that one.

All Athletic Maneuvers have the Agile Trait when used with a free hand.

Was that a change or just spelling out the intent? I don't think we played it like that, but thinking about it now that seems like a "This was our intent, it simply was not obvious". Also, boy howdy does that make for some interesting stuff with a Flurry Ranger.

Remove ads