Close Blast vs Area Blast

Gruns

Explorer
Hello.
Just a quick question I have regarding Close Blast vs Area Blast. The book is pretty clear in the text on PHB 271, but the picture examples they give on page 272 only help to confuse me. (Probably unecessarily)

Am I right in my assumption that the Blast examples in the picture on the bottom left of page 272 ONLY represent Area blasts, as the Wizard is not in the origin square?

And if that is correct, an example of a Close Blast 3 would be the JPG that I included? Again, this seems pretty clear, but would have been much simpler if they jut included a sample picture of each attack type.
Thanks
Gruns

Attachments

• CloseBlast.jpg
    CloseBlast.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 631

WhatGravitas

Explorer
You are confusing something. There are no area blasts. The picture on pg. 272 shows two close blasts. The description of blasts says it's a square of the appropriate size adjacent to the origin (i.e. the user).

Cheers, LT.

Yeah L.T. has the right of it, there are no area blasts, only close.

And your picture is not correct. The blast is 3x3 and the wizard can be on any adjscent square to it, not IN it:)

Mort_Q

First Post
Blasts are Blasts.

Area and Close generally only imply whether they provoke OAs or not. A blast that is unmodified by a feat must have at least one square adjacent to the caster.

Your example would include you as a target... not sure if it's technically legal.

Mort_Q

First Post
Your example would include you as a target... not sure if it's technically legal.

Just grabbed the PH. If you re-read the blast description, your example is not legal.

This text confused me too.

A close burst radiates out from your space, regardless of size.

The number is the radius.

If you are a medium creature, your space is one square.

If you are a large creature, your space is four squares.

Burst 2

Code:
..XXXXX...
..XXXXX...
..XX[COLOR="Red"]M[/COLOR]XX...
..XXXXX...
..XXXXX...

..XXXXXX..
..XXXXXX..
..XX[COLOR="Blue"]LL[/COLOR]XX..
..XX[COLOR="Blue"]LL[/COLOR]XX..
..XXXXXX..
..XXXXXX..

A blast uses a square within your space as its origin.

The number is the diameter.

If you are a medium creature, your space is one square, so you are the origin.

If you are a large creature, your space is four squares, you can choose any one of the squares as the origin.

Blast 2

Code:
..XX......
..XX......
....[COLOR="Red"]M[/COLOR].....

..XX......
..XX......
....[COLOR="Blue"]LL[/COLOR]....
....[COLOR="Blue"]LL[/COLOR]....

Last edited:

DemonLord57

First Post
A burst radiates out from your space, regardless of size.
No, a close burst does that. There are area bursts, too. A burst radiates out of the origin square. Close means that your square is the origin square. Area means that you can choose the origin square somewhere within the range specified.

Oompa

First Post
- Blast: square with its origin one of the 8 squares adjacent to you (provokes OA)
- Close Burst: Square with its origin is the square you stand in (provokes no OA)
- Area Burst: Square within the range givin in the power is the origin and from there on an burst follows. (provokes OA to the person casting it)

Remove ads