7/11/2008 Dicey Business Harn: Columbia's Electronic Newsletter

Dan Bell

First Post
DICEY BUSINESS
Columbia Games News
HarnWorld edition
July 11, 2008
DICEY BUSINESS is sent to all gamers on our mailing list, highlighting Columbia Games news and features recently added to www.columbiagames.com.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NEWS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New Release: Field of Daisies
Field of Daisies consists of four parts:
* Field of Daisies is a mystery & exploration adventure.
* Falkath: describes the village in northern Kaldor where the adventure takes place.
* Four pre-generated characters for use in this adventure.
* Optional quickstart HârnMaster rules.
Field of Daisies is an introductory adventure for HârnWorld. Although designed to be used with the HârnMaster rule system, it is generic enough for easy conversion for use with other rule systems and can easily fit into any medieval fantasy game setting.
The adventure unfolds in the fief of Falkath, a small manor in northern Kaldor, a feudal kingdom in eastern Hârn. Falkath's knightly lord, Sir Mayald Vobenor, is looking for able-bodied people to search for a missing child. Can the players find the boy or will they end up buried in a Field of Daisies?
Field of Daisies will be sent automatically to HârnQuest subscribers.
Feedback about Field of Daisies:
"The Harn book was very cool. I didn't wan't to grab it myself cause there was only one left. It was snapped up pretty quick."
-dar (therpgsite forums)
"Standouts: ...HarnWorld (great maps & illos, gonna use this).."
-Casey777 (therpgsite forums)
"Most interesting item: As I have only flipped through my copies, so we are going by appearance only, my choices would go to the Harnworld Quick start and adventure module (52 pages, and looked generally like a typical detailed Harn product)..."
-Badmike (acaeum.com/forum/)
"The Harn book was good and chunky. Definitely something to attract notice..."
-g026r (acaeum.com/forum/)
"Artwise, the Harn product came a close second [in FreeRPGDay production value]...
-Mactaka (Paizo forums)
"Man, I wish I could have snagged a copy of that HARN module. Damn that thing looked impressive!"
-Omote (Troll Lord forums)
"Our participating FLGS ended up with a surplus of these modules (Hooray!) and I picked one up on a whim. This was easily the meatiest printed product in the Free RPG stack this year, as it included a complete (and excellent) adventure with pre-generated PCs, the HarnMaster 'quick start' rules, and a localized gazetteer of sorts. Thanks for contributing, CGI!"
-Jdrakeh (HarnForum)
"Picked this up at Free RPG day at my flgs here. I agree that this was the thickest offering at the table and great production values as well. Art & writing were first class. This was a pleasant surprise, considering the other BIG companies that participated. It has been 10+ years since I've picked up a Harn product, and thanks to this free item, I'll be looking at the products once again. Well done."
-Banesfinger (HarnForum)
Buy it now at DriveThruRPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?it=1&products_id=56717&affiliate_id=180334

New HarnClassic release: Aleath
Aleath is now shipping! The final layout expanded to 18 pages + a color map. Buy Aleath now while its only $5.99 (price will increase to $7.99 on July 15).
Includes the original Aleath article from Cities of Hârn and the expansion from Son of Cities.
This is a Hârn Classic publication with new layout, but original, unchanged content. It is sent automatically to HârnClassic subscribers (but not Hârnquest subscribers).

More good deals...
HarnLore Bundle (all 11 issues for $34.99)
Web of the Widow (now $14.99)

Upcoming Harn releases
The next HarnQuest release is coming in July (maybe).
It will contain:
Cats (Bestiary)
Snakes (Bestiary)
Uthriem Roliri (Siemist Rangers)
Sorkin Mountains (with accompanying Atlas Hârnica Map.)

Summer Hârn-Specific Conventions
IviniaCon II - August 15 to 17 SWEDEN
IviniaCon II is a role playing convention for those interested in the role playing world Hârn and the game system Hârnmaster.
http://www.ivinia.se/IviniaCon_II/
Information about IviniaCon II will be posted on this website, including starting times, events and costs. The convention will be arranged by Mikael Hegardt (logistics, venue etc) and Anders Bersten (events, games etc).
It is possible to rent a cabin at the Foteviken grounds. The cabins have two two-story beds and a sofa-bed, and also contain kitchenette with fridge as well as a shower, toilet and a TV. The cost for a cabin is 725SEK per night per cabin - this works out to 360SEK per person for two nights with four persons sharing a cabin.
Some of the highlights will include:
Heart of Darkness (Alun)
On the trail of Sedris Meleken (Christofe)
Diorama mayhem
The pit and the pendant (Neil)
Swordplay
HarnCon VI - August 29-31 VANCOUVER, CANADA
Things are rapidly falling in to place for HârnCon VI, August 29 - 31, 2008 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The venue for the weekend is the Marpole Curling Club, which offers a large meeting room as well as a spacious pub, both of which have plenty of tables for gaming.
For those wishing to book accommodations, the Coast Vancouver Airport Hotel offers a special rate for participants at Marpole Curling Club events. The Marpole Club is about 3 blocks away from the hotel. Maps and directions are available on both web sites.
The fee for the weekend will be CDN $30 in advance, or CDN $40 at the door. The advantage of registering in advance (other than saving $10) is that you will be able to sign up to run and/or play games in advance on the web. Advance fees can be paid using PayPal to Brian McNeilly at: bmcneilly@shaw.ca.
The Vancouver Gaming Guild is sponsoring the convention, and we will be using their online registration system to schedule the weekend. You will need to create a profile for yourself in the registration system. As well as a login id, you will be asked to enter your real name, which is used in the game schedule. We don’t use aliases in the schedule since it is much easier to locate “Brian McNeilly” on game day than “Brénan-al-Saél”.
Once you have paid the fee, you will be able to log in to the system, validate your ticket number (which you receive after payment), and input events that you would like to run, or sign up to participate in games already posted on the schedule.
BTW, your login id will allow you to sign on to the VGG Forums, where you can read more about the gaming community in the Vancouver region.
Grant Dalgliesh from Columbia Games will be attending
http://columbiagames.info/harncon-2008

RECENT HARN RELEASES
HERBLORE
POTIONS
Recent free download postings to www.lythia.com
Short Adventures
The Wool Merchant
Azadmere Expansion
Erone Abbey
Printing Posts
Chewintin
Nebulan Chapterhouse
Naniom Bridge
Whyce Chapterhouse
The Lady of Paladins
Nelafayn Quarry
Avertu
Athelren
Vil Abbey
Tashal: Upper East Side
Eastside City Block
Asolade Hundred
Small Caves
Happy Gaming!
-Columbia Games

Sigurd

First Post
If you play any game where someone somewhere so much as wields a sword you owe it to yourself to check out lythia.com.

In my opinion it is the best thing about Harn.

Sigurd

Treebore

First Post
If you play any game where someone somewhere so much as wields a sword you owe it to yourself to check out lythia.com.

In my opinion it is the best thing about Harn.

Sigurd

I agree, but Harn in general is very good.

Field of Daisies, or whatever the proper name of the Free RPG Day release was, is a very fine example of Harn material in general, as well as what is done on Lythia.com.

I think any gamer who doesn't check this stuff out is really cheating themselves out of some top notch stuff. Scratch that, a TON of top notch stuff.

Harn and Lythia.com, the best kept secret treasures for RPG gamers.

Remove ads